Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2016 - Race Results

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-16, 11:48 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
tfw the front stretch is where i got dropped from the break and the field.
Well yeah of course, drafting isn't much good in a tailwind. Once the gap opens, you're toast.
Old 04-11-16, 11:54 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Crosswind section following a tailwind is a great place to get popped. We race a lot of farm roads in wide open fields here in Velopromostan, so you'll get a dead tailwind for miles and then suddenly a 90 degree turn. I've been in many races where my brain is telling me "get to the front before the turn!" but my legs are doing all they can just to stay attached in the tailwind. That's no bueno.
Old 04-11-16, 12:38 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Ok @canuckbelle I'm better educated now.
That was a popular spot to attack in the men's 3 race, and others from what I hear, but it never really worked out for anyone. There was also a lot of action down the front stretch. The tailwind made everyone feel like a hero, so that was where there were a lot of flyers to no particular effect.
The most effective place to attack yesterday was on the backstretch rollers right after the rank smelling left turn. That's where most of the successful breaks got away. Up a roller, into the headwind.

CB, I see things a little differently than you do, although I am on the outside as an official. Cat3/4 women are essentially Cat4/5 men. Too much yelling and not enough racing. Lots of stupidity and not enough common sense. The P/1/2 women are very different. When we have had issues with results they will help us sort them out. They will tell me that "Cassie was up the road from me and we didn't see her again" etc. They really take care of each other. The 3/4 are like a pack of wild cats.
Old 04-11-16, 12:50 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
I worked the Cat5 (solo win 2.5 minutes).
He's the same guy who won purgatory and had like 350w avg, he doesn't appear to do a lot of road races but when he does he's pretty darn successful
Old 04-11-16, 01:04 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Can we talk about the water hazard on the beach section? How awesome and Mario Kart was that?!
Old 04-11-16, 01:47 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Especially when we had oncoming cars. It was like "You thought this was going to be a dry race!? PSYCH!"

Shovel was right that more action / splits really occurred on those back side rollers. They were small enough that you could actually use them as a pretty decent launching board since you gained a lot of speed and the wind was a sidewind that allowed you to ride on the right side gutter if you didn't want someone on your wheel.
Old 04-11-16, 01:55 PM
grolby

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Can we talk about the water hazard on the beach section? How awesome and Mario Kart was that?!
That whole section was amazing. I was one of the many people who almost missed the right turn off the bridge and was zooming up the right side of the road to get back up to the front, and it was like #&$! SAND! So much sand on the side of the road. I felt like I was in a cross race.

There's a write-up in the local paper I saw which has several hilarious examples of "random beat reporter covers bike race" oddities. Like reporting the .17 second time gap between the winner of a sprint and the second place rider, as if it was a ski race. And photos that repeatedly referred to that right-hander off the bridge as "dangerous," when the sketchiest corner by far was the left-hander onto the narrow uphill bit after that.
Old 04-11-16, 01:58 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like a fun race. It wasn't on my radar at all, but if they have a sophomore edition I might make the 3 hour trek for it.
Old 04-11-16, 03:23 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Sounds like a fun race. It wasn't on my radar at all, but if they have a sophomore edition I might make the 3 hour trek for it.
I hope he can do it again and I hope I can make it.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 04-11-16, 03:30 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I worked the Cat5 (solo win 2.5 minutes), Masters (tons of breaks that came back, field sprint) and P/1/2 (blew to pieces, lead group, three chase groups, and the field). I saw nutso's move, it was perfectly timed and placed. CCB had all their best there and when two got up the road with Weather Channel I knew it would be gone. The course had its share of issues but they can be addressed, and the post race meeting went well. It should be back next year.

Nutso my advice is to upgrade. You can focus your teamwork on P/1/2 and P/1/2/3 races, of which there are plenty. There are very few Cat2 or Cat2/3 races, although the ones that exist are good ones. You should always have races that you can focus 100% on yourself. P/1 is a huge step up from P/1/2, and is the right kind of challenge. Just ask your teammate about New Haven, a P/1/2 that had over 50 pros in it, so it was effectively P/1. It comes down to whether you are racing only to win or racing because you enjoy it for many reasons.

Mikey I passed you on the front stretch but knew nothing of where you popped from as your field started behind us. That was an outstanding effort, a great thing to build from. Look it it this way. If this race was a crit you would have done no worse than 2nd. Build on it. Also big props to your teammate for sacrificing himself for you.

Where were you? Everytime we passed someone on the course, less the turns as I focused on making the turns, I looked and thought, could this be shovel? Never saw you to give a nod and a wave. I have an official-related question for you: when did the timing of the race start? My srm had a duration of just under 1:41, yet, my official time was 2:02 and change. Maybe my system turned on really late. But, I don't think so. The 1:41 is a little hard to believe because that translates to 28.5 mph. However, I will say that there was never a lull or slow moment. We kept motoring along for the entire 48 miles.
Old 04-11-16, 04:43 PM
island rider

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone have any idea why registration for the Mystic Velo Crit is so poor? There are 39 total registrants.
Old 04-11-16, 05:11 PM
grolby

Cause it's almost a week out, people are nervous about committing before they know the weather and it's not the first crit of the year so #STOKE and #HYPE levels aren't as high. Brumble had really weak pre-reg until maybe Wednesday, and 300 people turned out.
Old 04-11-16, 06:15 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brumble had 190 the day before pre-reg closed, and over 300 when it did. This late pre-reg is at an illogical extreme, but us race directors are dealing with it. Better refund policy, higher day-of.

Last edited by shovelhd; 04-11-16 at 06:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-11-16, 06:24 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bostongarden
Where were you? Everytime we passed someone on the course, less the turns as I focused on making the turns, I looked and thought, could this be shovel? Never saw you to give a nod and a wave. I have an official-related question for you: when did the timing of the race start? My srm had a duration of just under 1:41, yet, my official time was 2:02 and change. Maybe my system turned on really late. But, I don't think so. The 1:41 is a little hard to believe because that translates to 28.5 mph. However, I will say that there was never a lull or slow moment. We kept motoring along for the entire 48 miles.
I worked the Cat5 Pace (Audi A5 Quattro), Masters Comm 1(same), and P/1/2 Comm 1(Transit van). You wouldn't have passed me because I was behind you. I gave my results sheets to the CJ but the race was just under two hours. The official results I'm looking at has you in at 1:52:45.

My driver for the P/1/2 was Alex's GF.
Old 04-11-16, 06:26 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
How about the glass on the road coming through the feed zone? That has to be addressed next year. I was seeing 3-4 flats per lap, every lap. SRAM was very busy. I would lose them for half a lap every lap.
Old 04-11-16, 07:33 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Daniel didn't finish Redlands. He was not interested in riding around after losing touch with the pack. I was not into selling him on "you can do it" mode. This sport is so hard, when someone [at this level] is done, they are done. Cycling is so beyond these other sports where you can yell at someone and make them go harder.
It was great learning. There was sickness recovery, under-eating and over eating. Daniel is/was about par, with the average domestic pro. The result was not what we had hoped, but so cycling. May 5-8 he rides the Peace Race in the Czech Republic. It is worth a Google. Started in 1948. The end of the beginning is near. Soon, I may have to post about me (or my wife).
Old 04-11-16, 07:51 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Won't he race collegiate?
Old 04-11-16, 09:54 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Won't he race collegiate?
Think so, but a different thing. Priorities are different and we encourage (although our opinion matters less) doing what the academy focus is. Collegiate is a few step below current. Mix the academy training in and hard to tell. Hard to tell if training or aging matters more. Or focus. As much as I love cycling, why suggest that is the priority? Very depressing - in a good way.
Old 04-12-16, 04:37 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about the glass on the road coming through the feed zone? That has to be addressed next year. I was seeing 3-4 flats per lap, every lap. SRAM was very busy. I would lose them for half a lap every lap.
That explains why there were so many flats there. I kept thinking it was shells and small rocks. Was it just glass that comes with the territory of it being a beachfront area? Or was there a distinct pile of the stuff that I never noticed?
Old 04-12-16, 06:20 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Sounds like the spot needs a leaf blower pass.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 04-12-16, 07:12 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
That explains why there were so many flats there. I kept thinking it was shells and small rocks. Was it just glass that comes with the territory of it being a beachfront area? Or was there a distinct pile of the stuff that I never noticed?
It could have been shells as well. I just noticed the glistening when driving in for the morning before the racing started, and assumed it was glass. I immediately thought "Hmmm, that could be a problem".

That area has not fully recovered from Hurricane Sandy. There is still a lot of construction in the area.

BTW It took two laps to get the SRAM car up to your lead group because of all the service he had to do along the way. I wanted it up there much earlier. I made the call when your group had 50 seconds, knowing that it would take time to get up there.

Last edited by shovelhd; 04-12-16 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-12-16, 01:57 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
The end of the beginning is near. Soon, I may have to post about me (or my wife).
Old 04-12-16, 07:42 PM
KingShakes

Bikes: Parlee Z5i

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Super Spring Criterium - Cancelled

Don't live in Chicago if you like to race bikes. Snowed the night before. Drove 1.5 hours to the course which was on a car race track. Roads dry, didn't think anything of it on a sunny 30 degree morning. Cancelled it as I arrived on the scene, black ice in shaded areas. Drove home 1.5 hours. Got on the trainer and did a race simulation, joy. Was going to be my fiancées first ever race on an easy course for her to get comfortable. That annoyed me most.
Old 04-13-16, 05:33 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
We have a couple of early races here on a car race track. If the weather is going to be bad (ie snow) I just assume it will be cancelled. They don't treat the surface or plow it so its up to mother nature to sort things out. The third and final race of the series was cancelled this year because of snow..as soon as I saw the forecast I planned on not racing that day
Old 04-13-16, 06:53 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
racing on a car track in the rain is terrifying. all the oils make the surface super slick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.