Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What do you think about during a fast descent?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What do you think about during a fast descent?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-17, 05:34 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Recently I was on a 47+mph descent on a mountain road in Colorado. I needed to make a right hand turn into a parking lot at the end of my ride. I let go of the bars with one hand to signal the move into the turning lane, while applying the brakes with the other hand. The forward momentum of my body being restrained by the one hand had me quickly thinking "get your other hand back on the bars". Up to that point it was all fun and frivolity.
Old 08-22-17, 05:45 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
If I die during this decent, somebody please erase my browser history!
Old 08-22-17, 07:10 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
Recently I was on a 47+mph descent on a mountain road in Colorado. I needed to make a right hand turn into a parking lot at the end of my ride. I let go of the bars with one hand to signal the move into the turning lane, while applying the brakes with the other hand. The forward momentum of my body being restrained by the one hand had me quickly thinking "get your other hand back on the bars". Up to that point it was all fun and frivolity.

At 47 mph you should be halfway to 1955.

Old 08-22-17, 07:43 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by SCRcat6
Riding my whole life in Illinois and Wisconsin, 45mph isn't really a thing
Oooh, you need to come and visit us here in Western Wisconsin. 45mph is a possibility on nearly every ride I take, and I'm a skinny climber The big guys easily get into the 50s!
Old 08-22-17, 07:58 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Oooh, you need to come and visit us here in Western Wisconsin. 45mph is a possibility on nearly every ride I take, and I'm a skinny climber The big guys easily get into the 50s!
Yeah, not sure what he meant, either. All it takes for high speed is steepness and there is plenty of that in Illinois and Wisconsin.

I live 5 miles from the Illinois River and have several 50+ mph drops that are only 1/4-1/3 mile long. Steepness and gravity is all that is required.

Old 08-22-17, 10:04 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I recently posted a picture of my 3rd tandem. https://www.bikeforums.net/19811453-post153.html
I ran a 57X12. 10 years earlier I ran a 56X11 - but the 11 broke.
Anyway, at 400lbs and with a stoker that could dial up 2000W we hit mid 60s many times - inc that ride.
Things I noticed.
When in 20s I thought nothing.
Early 30s - then - I thought maybe I over inflated my tires.
Later, I thought it would be fun to do that again, but, better to stay home with wife and kids.
Old 08-23-17, 09:59 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Mostly position and weight distribution. For me, those things create a successful descent, i.e. I pass everyone. I don't think about cornering at all, I just do it. I don't worry about anything. My wife can now keep her eyes open up to 42 mph.
Old 08-23-17, 01:25 PM
Mindcrime

Bikes: 2018 Diamondback Podium Equipe Dura Ace Disc, 2013 Felt z85 (now a frankenbike,) 1994 Serotta Colorado TG, 1999 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2017 State Undefeated II Track Bike, 2005 Litespeed Tuscany project

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hookers and blow.

Just like pretty much all the time.

Duh.
Old 08-23-17, 02:39 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
Yeah, that's a tricky scenario. Whenever I encounter that situation I prefer to bug out my eyeballs and scream LOOKOUUUTTTTT!!!

Seems to work about as well as hand signals for gaining cooperation from drivers. Meaning, not at all.
Old 08-23-17, 03:25 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Periodically I remind myself of what to do physically, i.e., proper [sic] or prudent descending technique...but mostly I try to empty my mind so I can enjoy the sensation, and not be distracted by anything other than the moment.
Old 08-23-17, 04:06 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
I usually wonder why the front end of my Allez wobbles at high speed. My mountain bike with drop bars and street tires hurtles down long smooth descents like a Cadillac but the Allez is "shakey". Don't know why. The wheels spin true. Anything else I should check?

I don't do long fast descents on that bike often, so it hasn't been a frequent problem, but since the topic came up...
Old 08-23-17, 04:24 PM
carl7

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The carbon front fork breaking.
Old 08-23-17, 10:28 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The title says it all: what is actually going through your mind while bombing a descent? ...

Then, I had a minor oopsie on a not very steep or fast descent. Nothing broken...other than my pride. Now, my mind fills up with bad thoughts when I hit the top of the hill: I imagine my tire flatting, hitting a deer, or my frame asploding. It makes descending far less fun.
You are asking the wrong question. You have the yips, a loss of confidence. The way to get out of that bad head space is to get yourself back into descending. You don't do that by over thinking... you do it by regaining trust in your mind and your machine to keep yourself safe. It's not a question of technique. It's a question of trust. You first need to decide if riding is something important to you... and you keep riding, you need to learn to trust yourself. Acknowledge that sometimes bad things happen and if they do, you'll simply deal with it when it happens.

But to answer your question, I think about what I need to think about. The thoughts come and go and don't get recorded. A steep, fast descent is not the time to waste brain cells and time recording thoughts into long term memory.

Something I explicitly DO NOT think about is what could go wrong. If something goes wrong, it goes wrong. Things are moving much too fast for me to think my way out of a bad situation (such as something breaking, a car popping out from nowhere, a flat tire, etc.). My body/brain will react without conscious interaction; it's simply not something the conscious mind has time to comprehend and react. I trust my body/brain to do the right thing. If something happens too fast for my non-conscious mind to deal with, engaging my conscious mind is not going to be of any more help. To break the cycle of the yips is simply to acknowledge this fact.

If the conscious mind wants to do something to mitigate risk, most of it happens long before the ride even starts... I ensure my tires are inflated before the ride, there is no debris embedded in my tire (I check before each ride), and my bike is in good mechanical condition. The rest is simply to practice best practices when descending: weighting the inside handlebar on turns, deliberately choosing lines, avoiding road debris, keeping my head up and my eyes scanning, etc.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 08-23-17 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-24-17, 04:38 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
You are asking the wrong question. You have the yips, a loss of confidence. The way to get out of that bad head space is to get yourself back into descending. You don't do that by over thinking... you do it by regaining trust in your mind and your machine to keep yourself safe. It's not a question of technique. It's a question of trust. You first need to decide if riding is something important to you... and you keep riding, you need to learn to trust yourself. Acknowledge that sometimes bad things happen and if they do, you'll simply deal with it when it happens.

But to answer your question, I think about what I need to think about. The thoughts come and go and don't get recorded. A steep, fast descent is not the time to waste brain cells and time recording thoughts into long term memory.

Something I explicitly DO NOT think about is what could go wrong. If something goes wrong, it goes wrong. Things are moving much too fast for me to think my way out of a bad situation (such as something breaking, a car popping out from nowhere, a flat tire, etc.). My body/brain will react without conscious interaction; it's simply not something the conscious mind has time to comprehend and react. I trust my body/brain to do the right thing. If something happens too fast for my non-conscious mind to deal with, engaging my conscious mind is not going to be of any more help. To break the cycle of the yips is simply to acknowledge this fact.

If the conscious mind wants to do something to mitigate risk, most of it happens long before the ride even starts... I ensure my tires are inflated before the ride, there is no debris embedded in my tire (I check before each ride), and my bike is in good mechanical condition. The rest is simply to practice best practices when descending: weighting the inside handlebar on turns, deliberately choosing lines, avoiding road debris, keeping my head up and my eyes scanning, etc.
Great summary.
One thing, though: I can understand favoring the inside handlebar in a turn, but I'm cautious about weighting the bars. Making sure ones grip is light goes a long way to making descents (especially over less-than-perfect surfaces) enjoyable. I get the sense you know what you're talking about, but it seems weighting the pedals, and the outside pedal especially, is much more important. Thinking about how to make the descent more like flying usually helps me; being tense hurts, so to mitigate that, I sort of direct any tension I feel down through the legs, which has the benefit of unweighting the saddle and making adjustments for turns smoother and more natural.

Oh: I bet you ride in the drops all the time, Brian, but there may be a few people out there who don't know to do that on long, fast descents - it's not just for aero.

Last edited by kbarch; 08-24-17 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-24-17, 06:33 AM
SCRcat6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really do! From what I remember, western WI is beautiful, unfortunately for me I've only been there by car. While not nearly as flat as Illinois, my experience in WI is mostly rollers.

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Yeah, not sure what he meant, either. All it takes for high speed is steepness and there is plenty of that in Illinois and Wisconsin.

I live 5 miles from the Illinois River and have several 50+ mph drops that are only 1/4-1/3 mile long. Steepness and gravity is all that is required.
Glad I was able to help you realize how lucky you are to have elevation near you in Illinois. For the vast majority of the population, the only "descents" we have are coming off of man-made overpasses.
Old 08-24-17, 07:47 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
Great summary.
One thing, though: I can understand favoring the inside handlebar in a turn, but I'm cautious about weighting the bars. Making sure ones grip is light goes a long way to making descents (especially over less-than-perfect surfaces) enjoyable. I get the sense you know what you're talking about, but it seems weighting the pedals, and the outside pedal especially, is much more important. Thinking about how to make the descent more like flying usually helps me; being tense hurts, so to mitigate that, I sort of direct any tension I feel down through the legs, which has the benefit of unweighting the saddle and making adjustments for turns smoother and more natural.

Oh: I bet you ride in the drops all the time, Brian, but there may be a few people out there who don't know to do that on long, fast descents - it's not just for aero.
Your front tire is what steers your bike. Unless traction is super spotty, you want weight on your front wheel so your bike goes where you want it to go. Try it. Your bike just rails around corners if you put the weight on the inside handlebar. Good cornering technique is weight on the inside handlebar and outside pedal. You don't need to be in the drops to do this, but drops are more stable.

I used to think like you do. I had trouble in crits and downhill corners, fighting my bike around the corner. I experimented with pushing my outside bar (seemed intuitive to "steer" into the corner)... this had the opposite effect as intended: my bike tended to straighten out. So I went the other way pushng my inside bar and the bike just railed through the corner. Later I found this is exactly how motorcyclists and cyclists are taught to corner.

I had to learn the hard way. Turns out cornering has nothing to do with steering your bike around the corner and has everything to do with moving your center of gravity to the inside your wheel track. Pushing your inside bar steers the bike out from under you (countersteering) moving the wheel track out from under your center of gravity allowing the bike to turn.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 08-24-17 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-24-17, 08:08 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Your front tire is what steers your bike. Unless traction is super spotty, you want weight on your front wheel so your bike goes where you want it to go. Try it. Your bike just rails around corners if you put the weight on the inside handlebar. Good cornering technique is weight on the inside handlebar and outside pedal. You don't need to be in the drops to do this, but drops are more stable.

I used to think like you do. I had trouble in crits and downhill corners, fighting my bike around the corner. I experimented with pushing my outside bar (seemed intuitive to "steer" into the corner)... this had the opposite effect as intended: my bike tended to straighten out. So I went the other way pushng my inside bar and the bike just railed through the corner. Later I found this is exactly how motorcyclists and cyclists are taught to corner.

I had to learn the hard way. Turns out cornering has nothing to do with steering your bike around the corner and has everything to do with moving your center of gravity to the inside your wheel track. Pushing your inside bar steers the bike out from under you (countersteering) moving the wheel track out from under your center of gravity allowing the bike to turn.
Yes, I know all that stuff from my previous life as a motorcyclist, it's just that lately I've had to deal with a lot of really rough roads, and have had to remind myself not to get a "death grip" on the bars. This morning I happened across a decent little descent and made a point of allowing weight to shift to the inside bar (while not squeezing it ) and recognized that old feeling again. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 08-24-17, 08:15 AM
Dreaded1

Bikes: 03 Marin Bear Valley, 1999 GT ZR2000, Raleigh M80(converted to single speed), 2017 Masi Gran Corsa disc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
During the ride last night I was more cognizent of what I think about during decents for 2 reasons. 1) this thread. 2) A friend of mine scared the crap out of himself last week because he incured a speed wobble on a decent.

So I paid attention to what I was doig last night. The first thing I noticed was while tucking I insticively grip the seat tighter with my thighs and bring my knees in closer to the top tube. I am also looking way ahead which came in handy last night. I was catching up to another rider and I was closing in on 43mph. He was riding more to the left of the lane. I didn't want to take my eyes of the road to look back to see if it was safe to move further right to get around him. So I barely crossed the yelow line. As I did, a Jeep came around the corner coming up at me. At this point I knew my pass wasn't going to happen so I sat up, applied minimal brakes, checked my rear and moved right.

So while decending I think about how fast I can go, where other vehicles are, where other riders are. The thought of wrecking never enters my mind, I don't need that fear entering my mind. If it happens it happens and I will deal with it after. I also wonder why I decend faster than other riders. A few times last night I was just tucking and I was still catching riders that were pedaling down the hill.
Old 08-24-17, 08:53 AM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
not dieing
Old 08-24-17, 12:15 PM
Midland

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Descending well. Also singing to a jamming song on the iPod.
Old 08-24-17, 12:38 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Wish I had that problem. Wait, no I don't. This was a real conversation:
Me (limping in after a ride): I crashed my bike.
Significant Other: Is the bike okay?
Me, calling the wife on the phone. "Honey, I've locked my keys in my car."
Her, "Well, it's only 3 miles from you office to our house. You better get to walking fast if you want to make it back there by dark. It's supposed to rain also."

Me, "Ok, I'll see you when I get there."

I hang up the phone and go into a fast walk. After I got back to the car, I went to Lowes and got a magnetic key box with a spare. It was a brisk 6 mile walk. The rain also came earlier than expected.
Old 08-24-17, 01:15 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
Originally Posted by SCRcat6
Glad I was able to help you realize how lucky you are to have elevation near you in Illinois. For the vast majority of the population, the only "descents" we have are coming off of man-made overpasses.
Hit 53.9 mph today in table top flat Illinois.

Old 08-24-17, 01:43 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3372 Post(s)
Liked 5,494 Times in 2,846 Posts
40+ mph is no big deal if you have the proper road for it.
I am doing 43mph at 2:20.
At 2:25 I am braking hard to get down to 30mph, (or less), as I cross the pedestrian zebra crossing.
Cops have been know to hang out there to ticket cyclists.
I used Youtube stabilization due to the wind shaking the camera in the first half, and the lumpy asphalt shaking the whole bike in the second half.

Map of the ride: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39.9...e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

The whole area is in sort of a large bowl, protected on the North, West, and South sides, so there is rarely any significant wind there. However, on one rare day I did that descent with a tailwind and was doing 55mph before braking for the crosswalk. In the winter it is common to have a strong tailwind on the last third and be able to cruise the last portion at 35mph.

Points for anyone who can identify the movie that featured the building at the beginning.

Last edited by Shimagnolo; 08-24-17 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-24-17, 03:50 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by brian ratliff
good cornering technique is weight on the inside handlebar and outside pedal. You don't need to be in the drops to do this, but drops are more stable.

qft
Old 08-24-17, 04:14 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by floridamtb
not dieing
+1

Not sure if I should envy those doing 40+ or feel sorry for them. I'm obviously a coward. I start braking at around 27 mph.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.