Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Losing weight, AKA diet

Old 01-17-18, 08:45 AM
cj19

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 6, Salsa Vaya Apex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lots of great advice here and you'll notice that it's not all the same. That just confirms that what works for one person may not for others, etc. Like Brawlo said, you do have to find out what works for you and what does not. A very good way to do that is to use one of the online journals like MyFitnessPal, which is part of the MapMyxxx app suite. That app makes it very simple to set up a weight loss goal and then keep a food diary, which will allow you to see how your eating habits are affecting you. Very easy entry, uses UPC codes and QR codes when available and has searchable database when not. I have mine set up so that it also captures workouts, including Garmin uploads, and it factors the calories burned into the daily equation. At the end of the day you click to complete your daily diary and it tells you how you are doing vs your goals and where you'll be in 5 weeks. I'm sure there are other similar apps but this one did the best job combining calorie counting and exercise that I was already uploading to MapMyRide. The real value is in learning what's really going into your mouth, and making changes to that. If the state of Wisconsin has a depression in 2018 it's because I realized just how much cheese I was eating before.

Last edited by cj19; 01-17-18 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-17-18, 11:23 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
There are too many variables to make a judgement in advance, so check back in in 3 weeks and let us know how you did.
12 lbs down. 3 more to go.
Old 01-17-18, 11:36 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,343 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
12 lbs down. 3 more to go.
Congratulations, and I'm sure you'll make it.

Now for the hard part. Adjusting from weight loss, along with the goals and motivations involved, to lifetime changes that keep you where you want to be.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-17-18, 12:20 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Congratulations, and I'm sure you'll make it.

Now for the hard part. Adjusting from weight loss, along with the goals and motivations involved, to lifetime changes that keep you where you want to be.
Thanks. That's definitely the hard part. I've kept 135 lbs off for the last 5 years.

Just trying to keep edging my way to a good weight. 225-230 would be great for me. That'd put me around 20% BF.
Old 01-17-18, 01:15 PM
Fiend606

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm almost 45 years old and I've lost 74 pounds since June 5, 2017. I started at 330 pounds and as of monday morning I was 256 pounds in shorts and a t-shirt. What really helped me the most were the wikis on /r/fitness and /fit/ boards. They break it down for you and give the straight info. Use a TDEE calculator(Total Daily Energy Expenditure) to figure out how many calories you need per day to lose weight and what your daily macros(protein/fat/carbs) breakdown should be. Another thing I'd recommend is to measure everything for awhile. Use measuring cups(dry and liquid), measuring spoons and an inexpensive food/kitchen scale that will weigh in at least half gram increments or smaller up to about 500 grams or more. Most people are terrible when it comes to judging portions so don't eyeball it. Its a pain to do for the first couple weeks but once the weight starts coming off you won't mind it, at least I didn't. You can't out exercise a crappy diet. Drink water, no juice or soda. Cut out sugar, junk food and take out. You'll cut out a lot of empty calories just from that. Look into "eating clean" for a few months, basic whole foods meals you prepare yourself. Meal planning and preparing your own food ahead of time for convenience also helps. I went with a high protein diet and found that eating ~200+ grams of protein a day filled that hole in my stomach I couldn't manage to fill with junk food/fast food/take out. I feel full most of the time and sometimes I have to force myself to eat and not skip meals. I use recipes from Paleo, Keto, Mediterranean and vegetarian/vegan diets but don't follow any of them. To lose weight you need to eat a calorie deficit compared to what your body burns to function and to work per day. Exercise will speed that up and is the cherry on top and will get you stronger and healthy.
Old 01-17-18, 06:13 PM
breadbin

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Loads of great advice here. I feel 'diet' hasn't worked for me in the past. I once lost 4 stone in 3 months on a low carb high protein diet when I was trying to impress a girl but i eventually put it back on with interest!

I think in my case my weight is a direct consequence of job stress so I need to make changes to that first. I can diet as much as I want but it won't be particularly effective long term until I can manage the root of the problem.
Old 01-21-18, 11:14 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by breadbin
Loads of great advice here. I feel 'diet' hasn't worked for me in the past. I once lost 4 stone in 3 months on a low carb high protein diet when I was trying to impress a girl but i eventually put it back on with interest!

I think in my case my weight is a direct consequence of job stress so I need to make changes to that first. I can diet as much as I want but it won't be particularly effective long term until I can manage the root of the problem.
Probably what you really need to spend time on is exploring other ways of relieving and/or removing the stress. True the job itself may be a factor, but so too how you look at that stress and deal with it. By giving more time and effort to your life outside of work and investing time into exploring different ways of dealing with that aside from eating should be the winner for you. Once you can divert the focus away from food, then that should make it easier to modify the food factor
Old 01-23-18, 11:26 AM
Jarrett2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I hit it today. 16 pounds in 22 days.

Hoping to keep going from here. We'll see.
Old 01-23-18, 11:59 AM
jonpear6

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Fargo, 1979 Viner Special Professional, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
I hit it today. 16 pounds in 22 days.

Hoping to keep going from here. We'll see.

Congrats! That is a good bit of weight pretty quick. I cannot wait until I am within reach of my target weight...which for now is 240.

I have been using MyFitnessPal with my wife and she is down 3 or so pounds per week and I am down 2ish pounds per week. She has about 9 miles of riding per day for a commute. Mine is about 16 round trip. My issue is when I use the app, I eat into my exercise calories. One week I did not and that's when I saw the greatest weight loss. 4 pounds.

The biggest advantage we've noticed with using the app, is that we don't snack as much and I don't drink so many calories. I think I was taking in 800-1000 calories per day in various beverages. I have that down to 150ish calories per day now. Feels good. One month down, a lot to go.
Old 01-24-18, 08:34 PM
Bikeforumuser0022

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whenever I enter into a new subject I open the inputs to my brain, eyes, and ears and do my best to ignore the conclusionary, judgemental, always-on voice in my head.

As many very nice posts above have said, it's different for everybody. I like to use for a motto what Dan Inosanto titled a book: Absorb What is Useful; Discard the rest

You asked for assistance OP, so here's mine:
Look into your emotional reasons for eating until you've a cushion around you. Especially those who've lost and regained.

Recently added to my fitness library Joe Mangienello's Evolution (scratch and dent for $4). The chapter on eating is devoid of measuring, calories, and all of that. He offers decent advice.

So you may consider the source, I'm a clyde according to height and mass (183cm 100Kg), altho nobody calls me fat.
Old 01-24-18, 08:38 PM
Bikeforumuser0022

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mystic1
80 lbs off here over the past year and about 40 to go. Am more like a Percheron than Clydesdale ( tall, fat and gray) Keto diet most of the time. nuts and fresh/frozen cranberries if I get cramps. Found that cheese stalls as does working out too much. Not bad for an post meno fartess

I don't eat sweeteners, no dairy except an ounce or so of cheese. The singular exception to the sweetner is I have a glass of water with Crystal light ( 1 a day)
I find I need to feel hungry for about a third of the day to loose.

( 50 gm) I never know if I should post in metric or US.

Love the Percheron. Thank you for the lesson.

Metric. Screw the three countries in the world that still use the previous millennium measuring system. According to Archer you never think of Myanmar and Liberia as having their krap together, so if USA wants to be in that boat, let 'em find a conversion website.

Of course if you want to be polite (and risk being mistaken for a Canadian), then post both.
Old 01-25-18, 03:05 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I lost 50 lbs. just by cutting out sweets and cutting down on carbs, as well as riding my bike as much as possible.
Old 01-25-18, 03:28 PM
breadbin

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
Probably what you really need to spend time on is exploring other ways of relieving and/or removing the stress. True the job itself may be a factor, but so too how you look at that stress and deal with it. By giving more time and effort to your life outside of work and investing time into exploring different ways of dealing with that aside from eating should be the winner for you. Once you can divert the focus away from food, then that should make it easier to modify the food factor
Thanks I do need to do that you're dead right. I have started with a little bit of mindfulness. I also taking a few pointers from a guy called Jordan Peterson. Things like setting goals, schedules, organisation and the like. It's not the job but the way I deal with it. Like learning new skills to do something.

Same with my diet. I learned from my parents or whoever that the reaction to stress is comfort and to protect yourself which to me means the couch and food unfortunately. Something I have to fix too. I guarantee if I fix the stress, the diet will sort itself out!
Old 01-25-18, 04:42 PM
breadbin

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'd also say too that a reason most dieting fails is that it is only treating the symptom of something else.

I have been trying to lose weight for 9 years. The month before I started nursing I was running up and down mountains for fun.
Old 01-26-18, 05:12 PM
markg

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist Team, Cervelo P3C, Ritchey Breakaway Cross

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been forced to go on a low-carb/high fat diet after getting diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. My maternal grandfather and uncle had it, so I hit the genetic lottery :-( Actually I could have just taken the pills the doc gave me, but I wanted to use it to also take the opportunity to shed some of the excess pounds I had accumulated last few years of not riding (injury and other health crap). I was 266 lbs at Labor Day, and am now 224. Goal is sub 200 (I'm 6'2"). A1C was 6.8 before, and at end of Dec was down to 5.4 , and the doc said she may taper me off the metformin that she originally said I would need for the rest of my life.

Still feeling my way out on how to mix this diet with biking, but so far it has been interesting figuring that I don't constantly need to shovel in calories like I used to to keep the bonk away. I did a 4 hr 45 mile/4500 feet of climbing ride (and getting caught in rain and hail!) over the weekend on just Nuun, and never felt like I was bonking. So yes I guess I am fat-adapted now. I still am very careful with my pacing, but mainly because as I said I am still trying to figure out how to make this all work together. Yes I could probably put out a few more peak watts with more carbs in my diet (I feel more like a diesel than a sports car), but my trade-off is staying healthy over peak performance.

That said, diet is a very personal thing - what works for me may not work for you. I just seem to have a genetic disposition to not handle carbs well, so I have to work with what i was given. Your mileage may vary....
Old 01-26-18, 08:34 PM
bigbiker1

Bikes: 2013 All City Mr. Pink, 2016 Jamis DXT Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markg
I have been forced to go on a low-carb/high fat diet after getting diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. My maternal grandfather and uncle had it, so I hit the genetic lottery :-( Actually I could have just taken the pills the doc gave me, but I wanted to use it to also take the opportunity to shed some of the excess pounds I had accumulated last few years of not riding (injury and other health crap). I was 266 lbs at Labor Day, and am now 224. Goal is sub 200 (I'm 6'2"). A1C was 6.8 before, and at end of Dec was down to 5.4 , and the doc said she may taper me off the metformin that she originally said I would need for the rest of my life.

Still feeling my way out on how to mix this diet with biking, but so far it has been interesting figuring that I don't constantly need to shovel in calories like I used to to keep the bonk away. I did a 4 hr 45 mile/4500 feet of climbing ride (and getting caught in rain and hail!) over the weekend on just Nuun, and never felt like I was bonking. So yes I guess I am fat-adapted now. I still am very careful with my pacing, but mainly because as I said I am still trying to figure out how to make this all work together. Yes I could probably put out a few more peak watts with more carbs in my diet (I feel more like a diesel than a sports car), but my trade-off is staying healthy over peak performance.

That said, diet is a very personal thing - what works for me may not work for you. I just seem to have a genetic disposition to not handle carbs well, so I have to work with what i was given. Your mileage may vary....
I just started keto (high fat low carb) the day after thanksgiving and I am down 35lbs and feeling great. I do OMAD (One meal a day) and IF (interm. fasting) as well. If you have not yet check out the R E D D I T keto form, it is fantastic.
Old 01-29-18, 12:55 PM
jonpear6

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe it is just indicative of how negligent I was beforehand, but with just using MyFitness Pal to track calories in an exercise, I have been able to easily drop weight. I started 4 weeks ago and am losing 2lbs per week with portion control and exercise. I still eat the same stuff, just less of it. And I find that as I want to eat more, I am switching to healthier options.

Started at 330, down to 315 in 4 weeks...90ish miles of riding per week (75% commuting) and about 2400 cals per day. Feels good to be seeing improvement. So long as I don't eat into my exercise calories, the simple adage of "eat less, move more" seems to be working. Long ways to go however...and this is my first real attempt at dropping weight in my adult life.

I appreciate having this forum as a point of encouragement. Many of your stories inspire.
Old 01-31-18, 11:26 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by jonpear6
So long as I don't eat into my exercise calories, the simple adage of "eat less, move more" seems to be working.
Yes, that's one bad thing about MFP is the "You earned X calories from exercise today." I think that encourages some people to eat that little bit extra. I haven't used MFP so I don't know if there's a way to shut off that notification or not.
Old 01-31-18, 05:11 PM
jonpear6

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I haven't used MFP so I don't know if there's a way to shut off that notification or not.

My wife got me using the app and she doesn't believe there is a way to shut it off. But she offered me good advice in simply ignoring the exercise portion and ensure that my intake never exceeds the initial allotted calories. Works for me.

There is a great deal of motivation for me when I close the MFP daily diary and it says, "In 5 weeks, if you continue to have days like this, you'll weight XXX.X pounds." In being good about sticking to my food and exercise routine (2300 calories per day and 1.5 hours or 20 miles of riding) I am dropping weight quickly (2-4 lbs a week is quick and sustainable in my mind). The app said I would be under 300lbs in 5 weeks for the very first time last night. That gave me a mental push I needed to avoid the crap at a business lunch today. 5 weeks doesn't feel far away. Under 300lbs has felt far away for some time now.
Old 02-01-18, 10:55 AM
Milton Keynes

I keep thinking that I ought to use MFP to track what I eat. I just don't want to have to take the time to measure out amounts of food and approximate calories, but it would be a good thing to have a general idea of how many calories I'm taking in during the day.
Old 02-01-18, 01:41 PM
jonpear6

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, I for sure just approximate and intentionally overestimate. Went out for burgers last night. Split a double cheeseburger and fries with the wife. The restaurant was on the app. We each put in 2/3 of a double cheeseburger, and probably put in 2/3 and order of fries each, despite sharing. Just the general concept and awareness is what helps me. Not that I know I ate precisely my allowance of calories. It taught me my bad habits pretty quick.
Old 02-26-18, 10:25 AM
Jason9142002

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Cannondale Trail 6, Fuji Track Bike, Giant OCR

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meal Prep

Originally Posted by wvridgerider
I hate the word diet but need to cut a lot of weight.
Do any of you "losers" have a meal plan? Like what to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner? What are your options? Pretty vague and I know cut the carbs but maybe some recipes.
Always prep your meals. You know you will have quality food and you will never be hungry. Eat every 2-3 hours. When I cut weight I’m never hungry and I get sick of eating. Only you know what food you like so your meal plans have to be based on your taste. If you prep your meals for three days out you should have fresh quality food. I have some ideas.
Meal 1: overnight oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder.
Meal 2: half a sandwich with chips and diet soda.
Meal 3: salad or a protein bar.
Meal 4: chicken, fish, beef, with rice or potatoes and veggies.
Meal 5: if you can eat it! More meat and veggies. Or yogurt.
I’ve lost a lot of weight on this type of plan. But, it’s not for everyone.
Drink lots of water. And if you like sweets the protein bars and yogurt will help. Once in a while you can eat pb/j. After a week of this your appetite will go way down.

Last edited by Jason9142002; 02-26-18 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Adding more
Old 03-01-18, 04:54 PM
ATXClyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wvridgerider
I hate the word diet but need to cut a lot of weight.
Do any of you "losers" have a meal plan? Like what to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner? What are your options? Pretty vague and I know cut the carbs but maybe some recipes.
M-F
Breakfast 3 eggs + 1 slice ham/turkey (may add homemade salsa or pico)
Snack 1 - 1-2 oz almonds, and 6 oz strawberries
Lunch - Healthy Choice Power Bowl - 1 oz almonds - 6 oz blackberries, 6 oz chicken/turkey/beef to mix with meal
Snack 2 - 1-2 oz almonds, 6 oz strawberries
Snack 3 - (if needed) 6 oz blackberries - 2 oz turkey jerky
Dinner if working out - 6-8 oz fish/chicken + with veggies or large homemade salad with guac as the dressing
Dinner if not working out - 3 eggs + shredded cheese + guac + spinach (large homemade salad)

Sat/ Sun
Most meals made at home unless we go out for BBQ or I get some type of salad mix
Breakfast - 3 eggs - maybe bacon (2-3 slices)
Might have chocolate milk if I'm going for a long ride or between morning workout and a ride
I could go on and on...only thing I haven't done lately is break out the grill and most due to lack of time...

My profession - I teach high school...
Old 01-14-19, 01:48 PM
CMBravo

Bikes: Fuji Altamira 1.3

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Go for long rides, but eat normally. Or better yet, go for long rides and don't eat anything at all afterwards.

Cut out grains and sugars, and try to eat mainly meat and veggies.
Yep ,that will work ! in 2017 I was 277 lbs diagnosed T2 diabetic. bought a bike ,and cut out bread,sugar, rice,coke and pastas. Went for steaks,fried chicken ,fish and veggies .Am down to 209lbs.
At first could barely make a 8 mile ride .now I can do 30.
still should loose 30 more #
One ride at the time ,you can do it
Old 01-14-19, 02:02 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
fwiw - met w a trainer last week, she suggested cooked vegetables before & after work outs ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.