Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SPDs on a road bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

SPDs on a road bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-18, 05:03 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
If you do go to recessed cleat and your riding style includes situations where you like to apply bursts of power I highly recommend looking at Time ATAC.
I used M520/540 pedals prior. You will pull out if you sprint or power up short hills. Then you will worry you will do it again and your riding will be affected.
They don't have the tiny vertical play SPD does either.
plenty of cross racers who put down way more power than you or i never have this issue
Old 08-31-18, 05:06 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
In the context of clipless pedal systems, "float" usually refers to the amount that the pedal system allows your foot to rotate freely on the pedal. This is often adjustable. For instance, SPD-SL yellow cleats allow 6 degrees of float, and the rotation pivots about the center of the cleat; the blue cleats allow 2 degrees of float, with the rotation pivoting about the front of the cleat; and the red cleats are zero-float, the shoe cannot rotate on the pedal at all.
This is largely a matter of bike fit. Most SPD-SL pedals come with the high-float yellow cleats, but if you need to force your foot to stay within a smaller range of angular motion on the pedals, the blue or red cleats are useful.
SPD mountain pedals don't have float options.

If you're referring to the system feeling squishy when you pull up, road cleats do generally have less vertical play than SPDs do.
This is because SPDs are just a retention mechanism that holds the shoe against the pedal. The shoe still pedals the pedal with its sole, and to accommodate different shoe shapes, the mechanism needs some vertical play.
With a road system, the shoe isn't supposed to contact the pedal. The cleat itself transfers pedaling to the pedal, and it sits in a very vertically-precise fit within the pedal.
As far as whether it makes a big difference on climbs... I'm not sure what climbing versus not climbing has to do with it. If you pull up on the pedal, the difference can be felt, although I doubt there's much consequence from a performance standpoint.
Ok, I had been wondering if it was just me, or maybe my pedals. I get a bit of a clicking sensation when pulling up on the pedals. This is normal on SPDs then?
Old 08-31-18, 05:11 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Ok, I had been wondering if it was just me, or maybe my pedals. I get a bit of a clicking sensation when pulling up on the pedals. This is normal on SPDs then?
It's normal for them to have some vertical play. Most of mine just have a "spongy" feel when you pull hard up.

I do have one SPD pedal laying around, an M324, that sometimes clicks under strong upstroke or if the bike is bouncing on rough terrain. I'm not really sure what the cause is. I don't know if it's just the retention mechanism, or if the way the shoe interacts with the pedal influences the effect as well, or what.
Old 09-01-18, 10:12 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
When starting out, I really appreciated that my 520s had an attachment on both sides. That way, you don’t have to do any pedal flipping while you’re learning the clipless mechanics. Just put your foot down on the pedal and go.

I’ve gone to A600s on my fancier bike, but I’ll keep 520s on my fixed-gear.
Old 09-01-18, 11:00 AM
green123

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SLX 9 , Santa Cruz Blur cc, Canyon Inflite SLX 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Using SPDs for my road bike as well as my trail bike, no issues at all and 1 pair of shoes does it all.
Old 09-01-18, 11:08 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
All my bikes have SPDs. I use Sidi Dominators, excellent shoes, very durable. Most long distance riders and randonneurs use SPDs and, around here anyway, Dominators. Our tandem has double sided for the captain, since a sure quick clip is critical, and single-sided for the stoker since she doesn't unclip. I have A600 on my carbon single. I don't pull out, don't notice any looseness, and I've always enjoyed a hard hill sprint. I've seen other riders pull out of Looks, so . . .
Old 09-02-18, 08:00 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Down with the duck walk. SPDs and MTB shoes all the way!
Old 09-03-18, 11:59 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
SPDs as well. all i have ever ridden with. truth be told, never tried anything else because my first bike came with them. but i like them because they are small and i've seen how others walk in other types. Only ever once had one come off the pedal unintentionally. simple adjustment fixed that.
Old 09-03-18, 12:24 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
I have a 20-pound bin of road pedals, donated to me from various cronies and co-workers. Because at work, I've always been the: 'Bike Guy'.

These were all abandoned in favor of two-sided mountain-like pedals and shoes. Most of my colleagues are now riding Shimano 520 pedals, which are amazing performers, and value.

Note that there are dozens of pedal brands out there which are supposedly: "SPD compatible." So for example, I have Ritchey V2 pedals on a few bikes. These pedals and cleats are not Shimano compatible, as although the cleats use the same 2-bolt mounting pattern, and the cleats look superficially like Shimano cleats, you cannot mix and match the pedals and You cannot clip in, or get out, both of which are scary dangerous.

BTW: buy pedals with actual bearings like Shimano. Not cheap bushing-based designs.
Old 09-03-18, 06:25 PM
bleui

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Shimano just released ES600, their lightest SPD pedals
Old 09-03-18, 06:31 PM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robert A
Thanks, all. My current SPDs seem to have quite a bit of float. Could be the worn cleats, or the particular shoes I'm using. If I go to road cleats, do I get a tighter connection to the pedal, and does it make much difference in climbs?
You can tighten the pedal mech. itself with an allen wrench which will take quite a bit of that float out.
Old 09-03-18, 06:34 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
I thought that allen screw adjusted only the release, and the the choice of cleat determined the degrees of float.
Originally Posted by Rock71
You can tighten the pedal mech. itself with an allen wrench which will take quite a bit of that float out.
Old 09-03-18, 06:46 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Just look at how many opinions you've received already! And here's one more, making it even harder to figure out what to do.

You presumably have SPD-oriented shoes. So get some road-friendly SPD pedals and go ride. At some point you'll find your rides lengthening to ranges where you might wonder if you would have fewer problems with hot-spots if you switched to SPD-SL, and when that day comes, if it happens to coincide with the time when your SPD shoes are worn out, get yourself some road bike shoes and a set of SPD-SL pedals. Keep both sets of pedals. Maybe someday you'll want the walkability of SPD pedals/shoes again.

I used platforms as a kid up through my teens.
I used platforms with cages after that.
Then I used SPD pedals and shoes, first on a hybrid and then on a road bike.
And now I use SPD-SL pedals on my road bike.

I prefer the SPD-SLs for rides longer than 18 miles, and really start feeling the difference on rides that challenge my mileage endurance. The SPDs were giving me hot spots, which motivated me to change out my pedals. But still I waited until it was time to change shoes too.

You may find SPDs fine for the kind of mileage you do. If you're lucky enough to be fine with them, be glad you can use walkable shoes too.
Old 09-03-18, 06:54 PM
acealthebes

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SPD are fine. Used them for about 3 months on my Giant

However, Tried SPD-SL and they made a large difference in power transfer and comfort for me personally.

Particularly on longer rides.

Not being able to walk around as easily is a bummer though. But then again, do we buy bike shoes to walk around in or ride our bikes?
Old 09-03-18, 06:57 PM
acealthebes

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
You "give up" nothing. SPD's are the best clipless pedals, even on road bikes.
I would argue that with the smaller platform of SPD you give up some top end power acceleration and comfort on longer rides (i.e. 50+ miles you will develop more hot spots with SPD)
Old 09-04-18, 09:18 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
plenty of cross racers who put down way more power than you or i never have this issue
I don't put much power down, but I've also never had an issue with my SPDs becoming unclipped when I didn't want them to.
Old 09-04-18, 12:42 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Ridden thousands of kilometers with the same M064 shoes over 6 PD-M520 equipped bikes. Never unclipped unintentionally, the two sided clip system is great.

The reason I got mtb shoes and pedals when starting out was simple...I wanted to be able to walk in my shoes. Once I accumulated multiple bikes, spending $100+ on each bike for SPD-SL pedals was quickly thrown to the side as I could get the M520s for just under $30. I could go lighter or higher end but haven't felt there is a significant performance/$ incentive yet.

I will be honest...I have never tried SPD-SL shoes and cleats simply because I have never found my SPD shoes inadequate in any way.
Old 09-04-18, 12:47 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
OP here.

I've ridden several thousand road miles with SPD shoes and cleats on my hybrid. Never noticed any issues with hotspots, though my next shoes will probably have more rigid soles.

For recessed cleats, is SPD the only game in town?
Old 09-04-18, 01:10 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
OP here.

I've ridden several thousand road miles with SPD shoes and cleats on my hybrid. Never noticed any issues with hotspots, though my next shoes will probably have more rigid soles.

For recessed cleats, is SPD the only game in town?
Crank brothers egg beaters and Speedplay frogs.
Old 09-04-18, 01:41 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
And Look S-Tracks, if you can still find them. I love my S-Tracks, to the point where whenever I see a pair on sale/clearance a site or eBay, I buy 'em. I'm stocking up.
Old 09-04-18, 02:01 PM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
And Time, I'm a Time guy.
Old 09-04-18, 02:05 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
I had a set of crank brothers that I really liked. Clipping in seemed a bit easier. The brass cleats seem to wear out pretty fast though.
Old 09-05-18, 06:37 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I also use Crank Bros on both my road bike and commuter bike. I use both 3 hole road shoes with an adapter or mtb shoes with 2 hole. But they go through parts so considering the switch to spd.
Old 09-05-18, 09:42 PM
GoldStandard

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Walking isn't hard in road cleats. Just remember you don't have normal shoes on. Silly youths and there shenanigans!
Old 09-05-18, 11:39 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
You know how many people I've seen eat it while trying to walk through a restaurant in road shoes? Plenty. I've also walked home over a mile, more than once, after having a tire just explode on me. In road shoes? Yeah, nah.

I see no advantage to road shoes that would overcome the drawbacks. So I stick to 2-bolt MTB shoes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.