Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Will Electric Bikes Overtake Standard Bike Sales?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-18, 12:41 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts

E-bikes have supposedly already overtaken standard bike sales in Europe. See video below. Out on the rec trails locally, e-bikes seem to makeup at least half of all bicycle rentals (single rider bikes). Non rental e-bikes are also becoming more common on the rec trails: not quite rare, but a long ways from becoming the majority.

I scoffed at e-bikes 3 years ago, when they were starting to become commonplace at the trade shows. I thought they were a joke. strictly a sales gimmick or maybe a tiny niche for the lazy and/or unfit. I've ridden quite a few e-bikes since then and can no longer deny the fun factor is off the charts.

What do you think? Will electric bikes overtake standard bike sales?
Old 11-06-18, 12:58 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Definitely - once Walmart comes out with their ebike
Old 11-06-18, 01:04 PM
Fastfingaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
What ever,,,,,,,, why don't you just take the bus,,,,,, save the three grand....
Old 11-06-18, 02:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Future... is Not Here Yet ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-09-18 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-06-18, 02:30 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Yes - Until governments crack down on them and start requiring a motorcycle license to ride them on public roads, and ban them from multi use paths. It will happen, just a matter of time.

(As they get more popular, more and more people will act the fool while riding them and end up in body bags, or injuring/killing pedstrians on MUPs, prompting the public to tell their legislatures to "DO SOMETHING," which will result in the motorcycle license requirement and prohibition on using MUPs)
Old 11-06-18, 02:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I'd be worried if I was in the business of making or selling high end commuter bikes. Not sure I think the other users are people who were going to buy regular bikes anyway, so the growth in the e-bike industry may not come at the expense of recreational bike sales.
Old 11-06-18, 02:52 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
If you count used bike sales, NO.

What we may well see is pedal bikes being purchased, resold... and perhaps being ridden and resold a few times for the better bikes.

On the other hand, there is more incentive to purchase E-Biikes new (latest technology, good battery, etc). And, over time, as electronics degrade, they'll simply be scrapped.

Thus, new sales may not actually reflect ridership.
Old 11-06-18, 03:34 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
No

cost is too high

Old 11-06-18, 03:39 PM
radroad

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
No

cost is too high

Costco is selling an ebike with suspension, disc brakes and an internal battery for $1K. You can find full suspension folding ebikes online for around $600.
Old 11-06-18, 03:43 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
Costco is selling an ebike with suspension, disc brakes and an internal battery for $1K. You can find full suspension folding ebikes online for around $600.

That is starting to get in the range of most people. I wonder how competent those are for the price point.
Old 11-06-18, 03:58 PM
radroad

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy

That is starting to get in the range of most people. I wonder how competent those are for the price point.

The Costco e-bike is getting good reviews: 4.1/5 stars. I'm pretty sure it's backed by costco's return policy and guarantee.
https://www.costco.com/Jetson-Advent...100370011.html

Here's a blog with ongoing reviews and ride videos with the ancheer folding e-bike. The owner's had several mechanical issues with the bike, but seems to like the bike a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGvHJnzZcUI

https://www.youtube.com/user/kobevision/videos
Old 11-06-18, 07:32 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
When I read this question, my first thought was "yes, when you can get a name brand entry level for around $600". So, I guess my answer is almost yes
Old 11-06-18, 07:37 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
E-bikes have supposedly already overtaken standard bike sales in Europe. See video below. Out on the rec trails locally, e-bikes seem to makeup at least half of all bicycle rentals (single rider bikes). Non rental e-bikes are also becoming more common on the rec trails: not quite rare, but a long ways from becoming the majority.

I scoffed at e-bikes 3 years ago, when they were starting to become commonplace at the trade shows. I thought they were a joke. strictly a sales gimmick or maybe a tiny niche for the lazy and/or unfit. I've ridden quite a few e-bikes since then and can no longer deny the fun factor is off the charts.

What do you think? Will electric bikes overtake standard bike sales?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJEEX72H1Jc
If they do, so what? Car/truck sales I'm sure exceed bicycle sales.

E-bikes have nothing whatsoever to do with cycling, notwithstanding all the special pleading that goes on here on Bike Forums. E-bikes are just another form of motorized transportation.

Cycling (human-powered bicycles) is cycling; 'e-bikes' are underpowered mopeds/motorcycles.
Old 11-06-18, 07:39 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1

E-bikes have nothing whatsoever to do with cycling, notwithstanding all the special pleading that goes on here on Bike Forums. E-bikes are just another form of motorized transportation.

Cycling (human-powered bicycles) is cycling; 'e-bikes' are underpowered mopeds/motorcycles.
All of this.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 11-06-18, 07:53 PM
Humpy

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 7 Posts
Maybe.

Personally, I'm not interested in an electric bicycle.

I would be interested in a badass low cost/maintenance/weight electric off road motorcycle though.
Old 11-06-18, 08:28 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I hope so. More two-wheeled vehicles on the road means more driver awareness of two-wheeled vehicles, and I'm a part of that group vehicles on the road. I've encountered a few e-bikes on my travels. I have no problem with them on the road or bike lanes. I am not a fan of them on MUPs and greenways.

I don't think I'd ever ride one. I treat anything in which I have to exert physical effort as exercise, so I wouldn't deprive myself of the opportunity to get the most out of a ride. But who knows, if my job required me to travel longer than the 20 km I currently do, then an e-bike would be totally sensible.
Old 11-06-18, 08:32 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Amusingly, I've got people at my workplace already asking me why I don't ride an e-bike. And if I answer, they will try to debate with me.

I'm an ideal candidate for riding a conventional bike: I live 4 miles from my workplace in a relatively flat town. I haven't yet found out what my limits are for riding a regular bike, so it's still interesting and fun. If conditions were to change drastically, I'd re-think things. For instance I would choose an e-bike over a car if those were my only choices.

Cycling will always be a subculture. Even before e-bikes were a thing, most people thought that cycling was some sort of dangerous indulgence, or a last refuge for DUI's and bums. I didn't try to justify it then, and I won't try to justify it now.

Last edited by Gresp15C; 11-06-18 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-06-18, 09:21 PM
radroad

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Amusingly, I've got people at my workplace already asking me why I don't ride an e-bike. And if I answer, they will try to debate with me.

I'm an ideal candidate for riding a conventional bike: I live 4 miles from my workplace in a relatively flat town. I haven't yet found out what my limits are for riding a regular bike, so it's still interesting and fun. If conditions were to change drastically, I'd re-think things. For instance I would choose an e-bike over a car if those were my only choices.

Cycling will always be a subculture. Even before e-bikes were a thing, most people thought that cycling was some sort of dangerous indulgence, or a last refuge for DUI's and bums. I didn't try to justify it then, and I won't try to justify it now.
Yeah, that's what some people on the forum refuse to realize. The car-free "movement" is total pie in the sky. It's not attainable in the united states. The cities with the highest percentage of bike commuters are around 5 to 10%

I just read that DUI's resort to bike riding lol. I hadn't heard that before to be quite honest. On the few occasions I've been to bike shops recently, it's all higher end carbon road bikes or mtb's, enthusiasts primarily. I don't see many candidates for DUI riders lol.

I ride a lot around town and people are usually fascinated. They think it's great that I'm riding so much, they always ask lots of questions, and always assume that everything I'm wearing: helmets, jackets, gloves are super expensive. So they tend to think the opposite: they think cyclists are super affluent rather than super poor.
Old 11-06-18, 09:34 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Definitely - once Walmart comes out with their ebike
So that the fat people that shop there can pretend exercise?
Old 11-06-18, 11:40 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I thought I wanted an e-bike, but....

these stand up boards look more fun.

https://cycleboard.com/products/rove...M59OyqsLlM-Mqg

As for e-bikes taking over standard bike sales. I have no Idea and I really don't care. AS LONG as I can still buy quality standard bicycles. I don't bike to save the planet, I don't bike to commute, or be green. or any other reason. Other than 100% enjoyment.
Old 11-06-18, 11:50 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts

^This^

People who are avid cyclists are not going to switch as long as they are healthy. The ebikes appeal to a different market: the infirm and wanna-be cyclists/commuters who want out of their cars and traffic but are too lazy/lack the desire to put in the effort of real cycling.
Old 11-07-18, 12:28 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1

You've got it all out in the open. People seem to forget that recharging the bikes costs someone more money. Not on motor fuel, which has its own negative, but unless the power is solar generated, it has to be created in ways that is often environmentally negative and expensive. Even solar generation has it costly complicated issues.
Old 11-07-18, 12:36 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
Yes - Until governments crack down on them and start requiring a motorcycle license to ride them on public roads, and ban them from multi use paths. It will happen, just a matter of time.

(As they get more popular, more and more people will act the fool while riding them and end up in body bags, or injuring/killing pedstrians on MUPs, prompting the public to tell their legislatures to "DO SOMETHING," which will result in the motorcycle license requirement and prohibition on using MUPs)
Yep, you've covered it well, too. I've already been subjected to irresponsible, law ignorant activity by e-bikes and the crap small petrol equivalents on our bike paths.
Old 11-07-18, 01:12 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Where are you seeing figures suggesting that Ebikes are outselling regular bikes in Europe?

That video only mentions the Netherlands.
Old 11-07-18, 01:19 AM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Last I looked the Netherlands was in Europe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.