Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

It's between 30-45 degrees and raining, you're riding 30-50 miles. How do you dress?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

It's between 30-45 degrees and raining, you're riding 30-50 miles. How do you dress?

Old 10-27-17, 01:56 AM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Last winter I scanned the radar and checked the weather compulsively before riding, in order to avoid rain.

But this year, I'm committing to ride 6 days a week, so I'll need some rain gear. And when I say rain, I mean 15-25 inches of rain a month. So stuff that keeps you mostly dry for an hour are going to be inadequate. I need really solid, dependable gear to keep me dry&warm here. Especially since the 30 mile loop I'll be riding has about 20 miles of it where seeing a car every 10 miles is unusual, and not seeing any is the norm. No cell service either, so gear needs to be reliable and safe, not just 'mostly good enough'.

So what would y'all wear in these conditions?
Old 10-27-17, 02:27 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
I'd wear my waterproof/breathable MEC jacket or my Groundeffects jacket.

Plus a long-sleeved jersey, a long-sleeved polypro, and a long-sleeved merino wool.
Old 10-27-17, 02:42 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Shimano Storm Jacket. It has a vent cape in back but I've been intending to have a tailor add some metal mesh grommets to the underarms. Otherwise I need to unzip the collar a bit to get some ventilation to make the vented cape effective. It's a seriously effective storm jacket, with double sleeves and all kinds of extra bits to snug or loosen as needed, depending on wind and rain. The inner mesh liner helps reduce sweaty shirts sticking to the shell. Detachable hood, fits in a jacket pocket.

Long sleeve Champion thin poly t-shirt. Nike Dri-Fit hoodie or comparable top between the undershirt and jacket.

Women's generic fleece tights (cost around $5 apiece or so from Walgreens). The material feels nearly identical to cycling apparel. Jeans, or shorts and knee warmers over the tights.

Thick microfiber knee high socks. Merrell shoes, which are nearly waterproof, and waterproof shoe covers.

Poly or silk ski glove liners under Bontrager RXL Thermal gloves, or generic ski gloves if it's cold enough.

That's what I did wear last year for cold wet rides. Even when some material soaked through it was still reasonably warm.

If it might rain, I may just take an ultra thin Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier jacket. It's just a windbreaker (no hood -- that's what the Nike Dri-Fit hoodie is for), only moderately resistant to light mist. Packs into its own rear pocket, fits in a jersey or handlebar bag, or some larger saddle bags. But when I've been caught in the rain with temps in the 40s it was tolerable as long as I was dressed properly underneath (same stuff described above). The wind resistant shell reduces wind chill, even after soaking through. But my longest ride in that was around 12-15 miles home, temp in the lower 40s with rain.
Old 10-27-17, 05:22 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the question. You can wear whatever you want when riding on the trainer.
Old 10-27-17, 05:30 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
I'd stay away from full-length sleeves and stick with a vest / gillet and good arm warmers. I find full-length sleeves cause condensation and moisture from the inside, since you're putting out a lot of body heat. A vest has much better ventilation; and just having your arms get a bit wet is not a big deal.

Decent gloves and shoe covers are necessary too, along with something on your neck.

I try to keep my torso, hands & feet warm, and the blood flow to my head warm.
Old 10-27-17, 06:12 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bah humbug
i'm not sure i understand the question. You can wear whatever you want when riding on the trainer.
+1
Old 10-27-17, 06:15 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Your bike should be wearing full fenders.
Old 10-27-17, 06:25 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Castelli Nanoflex bib tights

Under Armour Cold Gear mock turtleneck base layer

7Mesh Callighan wool thermal jersey or Castelli Gabba long sleeve jersey

7Mesh Resistance jacket

GripGrab shoe covers

Possumdown or Smartwool PhD beanie

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 10-27-17 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-27-17, 06:42 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I'd avoid desolate areas without cell service in bad weather.

If you slip and crash, it could be a real problem in freezing rain.
Old 10-27-17, 07:35 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I'm not sure I understand the question. You can wear whatever you want when riding on the trainer.
Yep
Old 10-27-17, 07:39 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Rain Gear | Foxwear

Foxwear custom breathable rain jacket
Pearl Izumi Elite series tights
I wear a variety of garments under the above, depending on temperatures
I have a variety of boot covers and gloves
My rain bike has full fenders

I check the radar and wait for heavy rain cells to pass and then I only have damp pavement and scattered rain to protect myself from.

I also have a Tacx Flux smart trainer that I use when unsafe conditions, including icy surfaces, are a risk. However, I enjoy longer rides outdoors far more than longer training sessions indoors. Four hours riding outdoors in damp weather is better than any indoor training that is more than 3 hours long.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 10-27-17 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-27-17, 08:22 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullalto
Last winter I scanned the radar and checked the weather compulsively before riding, in order to avoid rain.

But this year, I'm committing to ride 6 days a week, so I'll need some rain gear. And when I say rain, I mean 15-25 inches of rain a month. So stuff that keeps you mostly dry for an hour are going to be inadequate. I need really solid, dependable gear to keep me dry&warm here. Especially since the 30 mile loop I'll be riding has about 20 miles of it where seeing a car every 10 miles is unusual, and not seeing any is the norm. No cell service either, so gear needs to be reliable and safe, not just 'mostly good enough'.

So what would y'all wear in these conditions?
I commute (40mi round trip) all year in Vancouver and we get a fair amount of rain in the winter. The reality is there aren't very many rides where it is actually raining and maybe 3-5 during the season where it's miserable with heavy rain and a headwind. I would dispel the notion that you're going to be warm and dry if it's raining. It's not going to happen unless you intend on riding at a very slow pace. If you wear waterproof gear you'll get wet from the inside. This also applies to breathable gear unless, as I mentioned, you ride very slowly.

I generally wear a long sleeve wool baselayer with a Castelli Gabba II jacket. It's breathable and impedes light rain although it will get wet if it's raining hard. If the temps drop to the 30-35 range I'll wear a Castelli Alpha jacket which is similar to the Gabba but with a bit more insulation. I also like a 7mesh recon jacket. It's a little more rain resistant the the Castelli and can be worn as a regular jacket.

I also have a waterproof J&G jacket that I sometimes use in heavier rain. It has underarm zipper vents which I open up and I just velcro the front. It's OK but not tight fitting so a little slower.

On my legs I wear leg warmers with bibs or tights over bibs depending on temperature. Legs get wet but I dry it out at work for the trip home.
Old 10-27-17, 08:28 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Bibs and a jersey. Because it's warm and dry on my trainer.
Old 10-27-17, 08:29 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
If those are the conditions outside then I will put on regular cycling shorts, socks and a lose moisture wicking shirt and jump on Zwift. There's like ZERO attraction for me to ride in conditions like that...and I even own some great winter cycling gear.

Zwift is amazing and really makes riding a trainer actually fun. I mean I went from no chance in hell I'd ride a trainer to the point where if it's even remotely uncomfortable to ride outside I'm in my basement.

Seriously...35-40 deg and raining? No chance.
Old 10-27-17, 09:29 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 107 Posts
How much rain riding experience do you have? I ask because there's no way you're going to stay dry - either you'll be sweating or wet from the rain. Sweating is good, it means you're working hard and raising your core temp - that's the goal. Ride hard enough to stay warm at a sustainable pace.

I did a few metric centuries last year in similar conditions, 4+ hours each and I often ride for at least an hour or two in such conditions regularly during the winter. Keep your extremities (including arms/legs) and the top of your head as warm as possible - vent heat through your neck and the open front of your jacket.

Body and arms/legs are easy - wool against the skin and modern water proof/resistant outwear - pick whatever. Feet and hands are hard.

For hands I use a pair of gloves with reusable chemical hand-warmers since they're waterproof. My hands stay warm as long as they're wet with the warmers. Wet is warm, evaporation is cold so I try to avoid that. If it stops raining and looks to stay dry I dry my hands and change to dry gloves right away. Wind and evaporating water is a killer.

Feet are kinda the same, I load up with "waterproof" shoe covers over an impermeable wind layer - I use sections of gore-tex. Feet will always still get wet so the goal is to stay warm and keep the wind out. If I have a low energy day or it gets colder on my ride I will drop two hand-warmers into my tights over my socks right at the front and rear of my ankles where the two major arteries are. I also like compression socks to help with blood flow to the feet but I'm not entirely convinced it's not a placebo affect, something to consider for sure.

Another big thing is bring hot water, coffee, soup - whatever. Put it in an insulated bottle and it should stay warm for the 2 hours it takes to ride 30 miles. If you get in trouble a 22 ounce slug of 120 degree water can be a life-saver.

All that said, I would not ride in such weather with no cell service in an isolated area without a time-contingent back-up. Tell my girlfriend or mom or whatever - "If I don't call you by 11am come look for me along this route" (with link to ridewithgps map).

I carry a full-compliment of hand-warmers, if I start to get into trouble with keeping my core temp up I can pop all 8, place them strategically about my body and be ok for a while either to ride to help of shelter-in-place and wait.
Old 10-27-17, 09:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
I am wearing my PJs and drinking a glass of wine because I don't ride indoors.
Old 10-27-17, 09:36 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
what would y'all wear in these conditions?
was once drenched by a passing school bus with a tidal wave sized splash & was completely protected
  • cheap motel style shower cap over helmet
  • novara cycling rain jacket with high collar
  • EMS goretex rain pants
  • pull-on or zip up tingley hi-top rubber boots over shoes (botton of pants over top of boots)
  • trunk bag wrapped in thick trash compactor bag

whatever gloves I was using were just left to dry for a cpl days. always kept extras cuz waterproof gloves might be a myth. I do have a water proof glove shell overglove & like separate glove liners which help keep my fingers warm & dry(er)
Old 10-27-17, 10:17 AM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
im wearing sweatpants watching tv
Old 10-27-17, 10:28 AM
BustyBlonde

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane S6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Id go back to bed
Old 10-27-17, 10:43 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
No, there's no way you're going to stay dry. The problem is instead, temperature regulation. It's easy to get both too hot or too cold in the conditions you describe - that is if you are riding hard at your normal summer pace. Thus it is possible to stay dry if you reduce effort until you aren't sweating.

However, if you're riding 6 days a week, I think we can conclude you're riding for fitness and will ride hard at least some of the time. I've been riding in these conditions all winter for ~20 years, so I've developed a theory and gear to match. Works well. The theory is that you have to admit some water, which is what cools you. If you don't admit water, you can't cool since sweat can't evaporate like it's designed to do. Thus I don't wear a waterproof jacket, instead wear a wind jacket which is tight enough that it's not just a sieve but still admits some water.

Under the jacket, I wear various poly layers which are very breathable and evaporate water quickly. The number and thickness of these layers you have to determine, according to your comfort in these conditions. There's not one right answer, other than not to use what are called softshell garments. These latter garments don't evaporate water and get soggy so you'll be wearing 10 extra pounds by the end of the ride.

Top:
Base layer: Craft LS poly. Choose according to temperature. Usually: https://shop.craftsports.us/mix-and-match-ls-m.html Must fit tight, touch skin.
Jersey: Appropriate LS jersey or jerseys. I like the Voler Men's Thermal Jersey down to ~40° with the linked baselayer because it's very breathable.
Jacket: Voler Jet Wind Jacket or equivalent. With the right jacket, you'll be able to suck air through it with your mouth, but not much.

Bottom: favorite shorts plus appropriate tights: PI Thermal or AmFIB, depending on temperature. Again, nothing waterproof

Feet: MTB boots. We've used Lakes and Northwave. Others are also good. Here we use waterproof!
Ankles: Dry suit leg seals, trimmed to fit, and upside-down covering boot tops. These keep water running down your legs out of your boots. Essential!

Hands: Giro 100 Proof Gloves are the warmest. Down from there, Craft Siberian gloves are good, down from there PI has many different levels. One of the main considerations is being able to get wet hands out and then back in again. Yes, they'll get wet. I haven't tried dry suit wrist seals yet, but that's an idea.

Head: PI skull cap works fine down to snowing. I hate helmet covers. Remember your main job is getting rid of heat, not staying dry.

I've been relatively comfortable with the above on a 75 mile ride in a steady 36° and pouring rain the whole way.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 10-27-17 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-27-17, 10:45 AM
Goldsbar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It looks like the conditions you described in Zwift sometimes, but it never seems to impact my ride

Agree with those that say don't bother. I've done plenty of rides like you described. No further desire.
Old 10-27-17, 11:21 AM
Capo72

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc SRAM eTap

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of good advice here so far. I focus on keeping the contact points dry. Hands, feet and butt.
Old 10-27-17, 01:05 PM
milacs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
No, there's no way you're going to stay dry. The problem is instead, temperature regulation. It's easy to get both too hot or too cold in the conditions you describe - that is if you are riding hard at your normal summer pace. Thus it is possible to stay dry if you reduce effort until you aren't sweating.

However, if you're riding 6 days a week, I think we can conclude you're riding for fitness and will ride hard at least some of the time. I've been riding in these conditions all winter for ~20 years, so I've developed a theory and gear to match. Works well. The theory is that you have to admit some water, which is what cools you. If you don't admit water, you can't cool since sweat can't evaporate like it's designed to do. Thus I don't wear a waterproof jacket, instead wear a wind jacket which is tight enough that it's not just a sieve but still admits some water.
This this this! I believe this is why softshell jackets are so popular these days. They let moisture out and regulate your temp while protecting your core from getting soaked.

1) Keep the core warm (merino base layers, merino jersey as a midlayer, and windproof/water-resistant jacket as the outer).
2) Merino liner under a neoprene/waterproof glove. I recently picked up some Rapha neoprene gloves for $30 and they've been awesome on several 1.5-3 hour rides in 40-50 degree rain. I have some defeet merino liners that I'll slide underneath for any sub 40 degree days.
3) I swear by wool collars (/buffs, snoods, whatever you want to call them). I have a Rapha merino collar I picked up for $25 (IIRC, still available on their sale section) and it's pretty much my comfort blanket. Nice to pull up over ears on descents, and hardly noticeable the rest of the time. Merino is magic.
4) I will wear some Defeet wool socks plus some Rapha rain overshoes (any brand will do -- and by that I mean all brands will last you 1.5 hours tops). When the temps hit ~35 and I know the ride will be 2+ hours, I put on adhesive toe warmers.
Old 10-27-17, 02:42 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
But this year, I'm committing to ride 6 days a week
Why in god's name would you make such a commitment?
Old 10-27-17, 02:46 PM
rfmarotti

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

GripGrab shoe covers
Is there a particular one you recommend? I've had lousy luck with shoe covers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.