Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Adventure Race Lighting

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Adventure Race Lighting

Old 09-26-03, 10:43 AM
jedi_rider
Nut Job

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adventure Race Lighting

I'm gearing up for an adventure, but don't what to decide on the night lighting method for the mountain bike phase.

I already know that I want a Nite Rider system, but should I get a helmet mount or a bike mounted system?

I don't have enough money for both.

Ideally, I'll probably want to use it for commuting during non-race seasons, but this shouldn't be a huge factor in the decision process.

Suggestions appreciated.
Old 09-26-03, 11:01 AM
a2psyklnut

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm fortunate enough that my lighting system has a mount for both the handlebar and the helmet, so I can easily switch back and forth.

What I've found out, cycling on the road during morning hours or twilight, I like to keep the light mounted on the handlebars. I can see easily enough without a light and only use it to be legal, and so cars notice me!

Off-road, I prefer a helmet mounted light. The light shines where I'm looking, not where my handlebars are turned. This is especially important when riding tight technical singletrack through the woods where there is NO ambient light and I need to see where I riding!

If I had to choose between the two for adventure racing, I'd go helmet mount!

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 09-26-03, 11:16 AM
jedi_rider
Nut Job

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, I was looking at the Nite Rider Storm.

I can always get a conversion kit to mount on the bike for both the light and the battery, right?
Old 09-26-03, 12:01 PM
Ohio Trekker
Passing!

Bikes: Trek 1988-520 & 2003-7500, 2004 Specialized Allez Sport & Stumpjumper Comp

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Night Rider Digital Evolution comes with both a helmet and handlebar mount, as well as a remote control switch. Runs around $230. Pretty good deal, and has the better charger! It's Halogen not HID though!
Old 09-26-03, 07:47 PM
jcivic00
keep moving forward...

Bikes: 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you're at all mechanically inclined, check out this site.
https://www.freewebs.com/trapper/