Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Is there a federal law against wearing a balaclava on a public bus?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-09, 01:15 PM
EKO
Noob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had a bit of time with a bus driver this morning. He required that I uncover my face because it was a "federal law that you cannot have your face covered on a bus". I called him out and asked which law that was, but he wouldn't answer me. I've worn it numerous times before. Is he full of it, or is this legit?

I usually get a hard time from bus drivers bringing a bike on the bus. They don't have bike racks because "the maintenance guys squawk about them". I'm used to them giving me static for any numerous nonsensical reasons, but to give me a hard time in the name of a federal law that doesn't (I assume) exist would really peeve me. What say you?
Old 01-28-09, 01:27 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,179 Times in 1,469 Posts
There's probably some DHS or TSA regulation on it. The reg probably is for air traffic but likely includes all public carriers
Old 01-28-09, 01:30 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there a reason not to pull it up while on the bus? The bus driver is the law, unless you want to go to the trouble of taking him to court. It can't possibly be worth it.
Kabir424

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about Muslim women that wear a burkha? Who wins here? Freedom of religion or DHS?
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Did you get the impression that the driver was really concerned about upholding the law (assuming it is true), or he just wanted to give you a hard time for other reasons?
Old 01-28-09, 01:40 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Don't know for sure but it might be one of these things that is up to the discretion of the driver/cop/pilot/agent etc.

My guess is that the driver doesn't want your bike on his bus. Cripes, I wouldn't either and I'm surprised you're allowed to bring it on. How do people get by?

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not letting the transit people off the hook. The proper way to address the issue of bikes on buses is to put racks on the busses, not harass the riders.
Old 01-28-09, 01:44 PM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why not just lift it up?
I'd feel like a dork wearing that over my face while on a public bus.
Old 01-28-09, 01:53 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by d2create
Why not just lift it up?
Too easy a solution

The American way would be to refuse, get arrested, hire an attorney, escalate it to the ACLU. Sue the bus company and the city. If you lose appeal it all the way to the supreme court.

And post it all on You Tube.

Old 01-28-09, 01:56 PM
Big_e
Strong with the Fred

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just take the darned thing off when on a bus, there ain't no blizzard on a bus. That makes as much sense as those pinheads that wear sunglasses and hoods indoors.
Before checking federal law, check your city ordinances first as they can be stricter than federal law. City/ municipal ordinances must meet or exceed state law. State law must meet or exceed federal/environmental laws.
Ernest
Old 01-28-09, 01:58 PM
paulwwalters
beatz down lo|seatz up hi

Bikes: A 2007 Trek 4300. 22.5", 1981 Trek 610 24" (61cm)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Say you're a moslem. They'd know better than to mess with you.
Old 01-28-09, 02:06 PM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by Big_e
Just take the darned thing off when on a bus, there ain't no blizzard on a bus. That makes as much sense as those pinheads that wear sunglasses and hoods indoors.
Before checking federal law, check your city ordinances first as they can be stricter than federal law. City/ municipal ordinances must meet or exceed state law. State law must meet or exceed federal/environmental laws.
Ernest
Pulling the lower part down might be easier. I can understand the OP not wanting to do it though. Once in a while I take my bike on public transportation when it's real cold. Taking the balaclava off would mean taking my goggles and helmet off too. To do that and get them back on I also need to take my mitts off.

Does the driver really think the OP is going to cause trouble or does he just want him to think twice before trying to bring his bike on again?
Old 01-28-09, 02:10 PM
Big_e
Strong with the Fred

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
Pulling the lower part down might be easier. I can understand the OP not wanting to do it though. Once in a while I take my bike on public transportation when it's real cold. Taking the balaclava off would mean taking my goggles and helmet off too. To do that and get them back on I also need to take my mitts off.

Does the driver really think the OP is going to cause trouble or does he just want him to think twice before trying to bring his bike on again?
I didn't mean to sound harsh but in the sad times we live in, it would be a valid request from the driver. If I was a driver, for the safety of passengers in my care, I wouldn't let a covered person on the bus. let alone any laws, most bus companies are just businesses contracted by cities to run a reasonable transportation service. If they make that term, you have to follow it or take your .75 cents elsewhere.
Ernest
Old 01-28-09, 02:12 PM
Timbert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They just put light rail trains in Phoenix. Unconscionably expensive. Anyway, the article in the paper actually mentioned that concealed firearms are permitted on the trains, which means it's ok on the bus as well. That is, if you've taken the 8-hour safety course needed to get the permit. Gotta love the West.

I would be surprised if there were ANY federal regulations that applied to a local bus. Dang, schoolbusses don't even have seatbelts.
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Next time, scream "ALLAH AKBAR" and go for your shoe. That outta teach em.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Tell him you're in Kansas and you'll tell on him to Dorothy and Toto!
Old 01-28-09, 02:14 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
In Arizona it is legal to wear a pistol on your hip (not concealed), no permit needed.
Old 01-28-09, 02:20 PM
tjspiel

I didn't mean to sound harsh but in the sad times we live in, it would be a valid request from the driver. If I was a driver, for the safety of passengers in my care, I wouldn't let a covered person on the bus. let alone any laws, most bus companies are just businesses contracted by cities to run a reasonable transportation service. If they make that term, you have to follow it or take your .75 cents elsewhere.
Ernest
Could be just where I live but when it's below 0, fully a quarter of the people on the bus have their faces covered to the point of being difficult to identify.
Old 01-28-09, 02:36 PM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tjspiel
Could be just where I live but when it's below 0, fully a quarter of the people on the bus have their faces covered to the point of being difficult to identify.
Not in Boston. Oh, it's plenty cold, but the buses have heaters (in fact I'd say they're really too warm, just like in the summer they've usually got too much AC) and you just don't see people riding the bus with every inch of flesh covered.

I've also seen convenience stores with signs on the door telling people to remove facemasks and the like as they come in. Can't say I blame 'em.
Old 01-28-09, 02:40 PM
PDXaero
French threaded

Bikes: many

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabir424
What about Muslim women that wear a burkha? Who wins here? Freedom of religion or DHS?
This is what first came to my mind. I may just consider biking with a burkha if balaclavas banned.

Originally Posted by Timbert
They just put light rail trains in Phoenix. Unconscionably expensive.
Don't complain, in Portland you pay $4.75 for all day and $2.00-2.30 for a single trip.
Old 01-28-09, 03:06 PM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
When I went to get my drivers license picture taken a few weeks ago, they told me I had to take my glasses off (corrective lenses). I thought that was strange, and they told me it was part of a new law in Massachusetts that says that any and all face coverings must be removed for ID photos. I thought making me take my glasses off was a bit extreme though.
Old 01-28-09, 03:17 PM
alanfleisig
NYC Maggie Backstedt fan

Bikes: Trek road and hybrid bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pure B.S.

There is no such law relating to ground transportation of any kind.

Just an a**hat who wanted to give you a hard time, probably because your bike "inconvenienced" him.
Old 01-28-09, 03:27 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
OP,
What I find amazing is that they let you bring your bike on the bus at all. Most bus companies would not permit that! You probably make a big stink about the bike on the bus, so all the bus drivers hate you.

I suggest you continue to bring the bus on board, and argue about that, since it's probalby important to you to win that particular battle. But maybe you should concede on the face covering. Even bus drivers have to win an argument once in a while! And it won't hurt you to learn to pick your battles, and to sometimes surrender graciously in the spirit of civic harmony.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-28-09, 03:43 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
A local credit union here has a rule against wearing a baseball hat and/or sun glasses inside the lobby, sometimes they warn you before calling the police. Play by their rules or find an alternative. Some battles aren't worth the war.
Old 01-28-09, 03:48 PM
Kabir424

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by treebound
A local credit union here has a rule against wearing a baseball hat and/or sun glasses inside the lobby, sometimes they warn you before calling the police. Play by their rules or find an alternative. Some battles aren't worth the war.
All of my local banks have rules like that. I didn't notice until about 6 months ago. I have been going into those banks for years with a hat and sunglasses and I have never had any problems or heard any comments about that. But, I have thought about the consequences of going into one while still wearing my balaclava. They might find an issue with that.
Old 01-28-09, 03:51 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
If I was a driver, for the safety of passengers in my care, I wouldn't let a covered person on the bus.
Hmmm, how about persons with uninspected packages/bags?

tcs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.