Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bikes at work trailer on a Big Dummy

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 03-06-12, 09:21 AM
soappedaler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Dummy sometimes doesn't haul enough so I'm thinking about adding a Bikes at Work Trailer to the set-up. Thought I remembered reading about someone getting a custom hitch for the Dummy. If you have this set-up how is it working?
Old 03-06-12, 09:38 AM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you use wide loaders on your big dummy, order a longer hitch from Bikes at Work. When taking sharp right turns the corner of the trailer rubs the wide loader and tears up the cloth on the wide loader.
Old 03-06-12, 07:13 PM
Metal Man

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is how I did my hitch (not a BAW).
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ummy?highlight=
Old 03-08-12, 08:47 AM
soappedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I emailed Bikes at Work and they got back to me quickly. They have 2 options for a Dummy or Xtracycle. You can use the regular hitch or they make one similar to the one Metal Man made. They cation that the one that attachs to the back is limited to a tongue weight of 50 pounds, which is different than carrying capacity so I'm thinking that heavier loads just ride to the back of the trailer. So Metal Man do you have issues with tongue weight?
Old 03-09-12, 12:24 AM
hopperja

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by soappedaler
I emailed Bikes at Work and they got back to me quickly. They have 2 options for a Dummy or Xtracycle. You can use the regular hitch or they make one similar to the one Metal Man made. They cation that the one that attachs to the back is limited to a tongue weight of 50 pounds, which is different than carrying capacity so I'm thinking that heavier loads just ride to the back of the trailer. So Metal Man do you have issues with tongue weight?
I have a BAW 64a, that I use often. I've carried as much as 350 pounds on the trailer and have posted many pictures of my hauls on this site.

It's not always easy to balance the load. Setting up the trailer from the beginning with such a limitation on the tongue weight would, to me, be crippling. I always try to balance the load so tongue weight is minimized. However, that can't always be done. The BAW axle does not sit in the middle of the trailer. It's either in the very back, in the middle back, in the middle front, or in the very front. Because the axle is off-center, the weight will often be too. If I was to be affixing a BAW to a Big Dummy, I would want a hitch that gives me the most flexibility for tongue weight.
Old 03-09-12, 06:58 AM
Metal Man

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not an issue for me, my axle is almost centered. If the BAW axle is more to the rear then that could be come more of an issue. You have an electric Big Dummy? That would make it less of a problem also, I think BD can handle more than 50 pounds. They have to be conservative in any thing they tell you.
Old 03-09-12, 10:21 AM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The normal BAW hitch is great but you need to remove your right side Wideloader when you use the trailer. Since you would have so much carrying capacity on the trailer, removing the Wideloader would not hurt. My problem is I have the Xtracyle Kickback kickstand which is a terrible design as it requires me to fuss to add or remove the Wideloader. I repeat 'a terrible design'.
Most of the time I don't need the trailer but I do need the wideloader so I leave the right side wideloader on -the left one makes it hard to walk my bike without wacking my leg.
Old 03-09-12, 10:40 AM
soappedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input. Been emailing Bikes at Work and the arm can be used both vertical or horizontal I just need to buy the extra attachment. So that's what I'm going to do. The Dummy is electric a front e-motor. Figure that way I can use the trailer with another bike if I want to.
After hearing all the complaints about the kickback I bit the bullet last Spring and got a Rolling Jackass. Worth every penny.
Will be making my purchase next week.
Old 03-12-12, 01:46 AM
AsanaCycles
Bicycle Lifestyle

Bikes: Neil Pryde Diablo, VeloVie Vitesse400, Hunter29er, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by soappedaler
Thanks for all the input. Been emailing Bikes at Work and the arm can be used both vertical or horizontal I just need to buy the extra attachment. So that's what I'm going to do. The Dummy is electric a front e-motor. Figure that way I can use the trailer with another bike if I want to.
After hearing all the complaints about the kickback I bit the bullet last Spring and got a Rolling Jackass. Worth every penny.
Will be making my purchase next week.
please post pics when you can.
very interesting!
Old 03-12-12, 12:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
other than a bit of tire scrub on sharp corners , a Dual axle 4 wheel trailer can take the weight,
and not shift it to the tongue.

Or 1 more wheel, maybe a baby jogger adapter wheel
since they can be on a swivel caster up front, can be adapted ?

Or a LONG seat post hitch
Old 05-21-12, 08:09 PM
kuan
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here we go. My updated hitch.