Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Canceled Zwift

Old 04-15-21, 08:01 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,194 Times in 687 Posts
I wonder if Zwift would make money, if a user could opt to pay by the mile during the summer months?

Barry
Old 04-21-21, 09:33 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 301 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Yeah, and since they give you 25km free each month, you can ride Alpe du Zwift every month and continue on the challenge.

I wonder if anyone has tested this idea.
Yes, a friend of mine stopped paying the subscription but then rides 25 KM/month and all this data is still there each month and the distance is accountable towards achievements.
You also stop the ride just before 25 KM and then your next ride allows you to continue beyond the original 25 KM.
Old 04-21-21, 09:39 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

I just finished TOW stage 5 last night and it ends with a bang, up the Radio Tower hill and back. Riding for 29.5 KMs (18+ miles) of climbing and descent. I wasn't planning on going hard because those big climbs really drain me but it didn't help that I still had my gravel bike from the TOW stage 4!
Learn how to switch bikes mid ride, switch my bike and then start the ride in last place ha ha
Likes For gthomson:
Old 04-21-21, 10:06 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
That tower climb was just not what I needed after riding up the big hill. I have thought about doing it again to see if it's easier the second time. That was the first big climb I did on zwift, and I have found with other climbs they seem a lot easier the second time.

I haven't checked to see if I can afford a gravel bike, or if they will even sell me one at my level. It's a pain you have to do all that after you start riding, I'm not sure why they don't let you do it from your account. I have considered setting the game up on my computer that's nowhere near my trainer just to make changes like that. I have to sit on the floor to use the computer that I use to run the game, not a lot of fun.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 04-22-21, 06:32 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I did the TOW Stage 5 yesterday on a rainy day here. I knew what was coming but that radio tower was still cruel and unusual punishment!

For stage 4, I just used my normal road bike - I tried switching once before and with the crappy Apple TV remote it takes me too long to get into the garage, find the mountain bike, switch and then later switch back. But, just ahead of me at the switching point before you enter the jungle, a guy stopped and in millliseconds his bike turned into a mountain bike and he sped off!

Need to find a group bike switching training ride, where every mile you have to switch bikes...

Actually, I see Apple just introduced the latest version of Apple TV which supposedly has an improved remote, maybe that will do it.
Old 04-22-21, 07:06 AM
gthomson

When I did TOW stage 4 I chose a gravel bike which I thought would have been a good choice for the jungle route but apparently the mtn. bike was the better choice. I made the switch before the race started which was easy but then I forgot to switch back for stage 5 and did not want to climb radio hill on a gravel. It was a bit of a slow process.

unterhausen If I knew of a way to sell you my drop points I would, as I have way more than i could ever know what to do with
Likes For gthomson:
Old 04-22-21, 07:56 AM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Yes you can just buy the remote by itself if you want to.
Old 04-22-21, 08:22 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by gthomson
unterhausen If I knew of a way to sell you my drop points I would, as I have way more than i could ever know what to do with
I'm only level 3, so the way I'm reading zwift insider, there is only one gravel bike I can buy.
Old 04-23-21, 01:20 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Trying to get in as many TOW rides as possible for the double XPs. For the last 2 months I have been off my feed and need to get back to it.

Did a IRL group ride this week, 28 miles, 2100 feet of climbing. My performance was OK but want to do better. Lots better.
Old 04-23-21, 01:45 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm only level 3, so the way I'm reading zwift insider, there is only one gravel bike I can buy.

My advice is for you to print the route list on zwift insider and check off each route as you do them. You get basically double bonus XPs for each route that you complete for the first time, just make sure you ride the route until you get the badge which will pop up on the screen like when you level up.

There are different opinions on the matter of course but I think getting the Everest Challenge over with first makes getting the others easier. If you work through all of the routes you will get the Tron before you finish up all of them. I'm no honcho, far from it, but I got the Tron at level 24 which took me 5 months to achieve. I did "Road to Sky" once a week after I hit level 12 so that helped me get the Tron in a short amount of time.

I have a Zwift garage full of bikes and wheel sets so lots to choose from. I only really use a few though, for climbing I use a Specialized Tarmac Pro with lightweight Millies, for general riding I use the Tron. I have a couple of different mountain bikes I just pick one and go. My least favorite part of Zwift in the jungle so I avoid it as much as possible. I don't think I've ever used a gravel bike, not sure though.

I have all of the bikes from the CA, Everest and Italy challenge plus right now about 7 million drops level 38 and there is nothing I really want to buy until i get to level 45 (disk wheels).

I agree with others here, riding outside is the best but having a trainer and Zwift allows me to get in some seat time when either the weather is bad or there is no daylight available.
Old 05-25-21, 10:12 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
For those that may have canceled like i have i did the new route in japan yesterday. it was nice. zwift gives you 25 km for what i thought was per month. i road 45 km and saved then exited back to the main app page. what surprised me most was that it indicated that my next trial time starts in 2 hours and 40 minutes. not planning to ride in zwift today but if the weather craps out again i may.

anyway, at the 25km mark a message pops up wiht a button to subscribe and a button to skip. skipping let me continue riding. good thing that did not come up on a steep climb.

-scott
Old 05-25-21, 05:13 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

That's nice they didn't make you stop riding.
Old 05-26-21, 04:16 PM
Doomrider74

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Pfft who needs the Radio Tower climb when I've just discovered my own local hill that's 11.3% avg for 1km? Peaking at 17%. Seriously, though, I live in BC, Canada, as well as working long hours at the moment, so Zwift won't be canceled any time soon. It'll come in handy for those rainy days and lateish finishes.
Likes For Doomrider74:
Old 05-26-21, 07:32 PM
gthomson

I thought it was interesting to introduce Makuri Islands just when people traditionally put their membership on hold or drop it all together. Maybe to entice people to stay on for a bit longer or keep it running for the year? I think new routes do make a difference and I remember last summer when they started talking about France, just ahead of the The Tour that I got excited.

I'm going to keep the account for now so I can explore this new world and mix up my weekly cycling routine with at least 1 day of indoor training. Very thankful that so far that spring in southern Ontario has been very mild and dry so haven't been doing much Zwifting but I know the nice weather won't last forever.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 05-27-21, 07:39 AM
spelger

Originally Posted by gthomson
I thought it was interesting to introduce Makuri Islands just when people traditionally put their membership on hold or drop it all together. Maybe to entice people to stay on for a bit longer or keep it running for the year? I think new routes do make a difference and I remember last summer when they started talking about France, just ahead of the The Tour that I got excited.

I'm going to keep the account for now so I can explore this new world and mix up my weekly cycling routine with at least 1 day of indoor training. Very thankful that so far that spring in southern Ontario has been very mild and dry so haven't been doing much Zwifting but I know the nice weather won't last forever.
i did like the change of scenery. one of the things l liked was the people just going about their business. a bit like in yorkshire. also liked the dirt trails but i don't like the dirt in the watopia jungle becasue it lasts for too long. there was some section of road that reminded me of a low hanging sun with a bit of smoke in the air. most/all trees were wearing their autumn foliage, reminded me a bit of the smoke we had here last summer.

i too plan on riding on teh trainer once a week just for interval training. i have my own program for that though.
Likes For spelger:
Old 06-04-21, 04:22 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Yesterday was a rainy day here in Maryland, do I did a Zwift group workout. The Orange Unicorn is a regular 50 minute interval-based group workout - OU is for "Over Under." After warm up and ramp up, 2 15 minute blocks that consist of 6 intervals of 2 minutes at 85% FTP and 20 seconds at 105% FTP, with 2 minutes between the two blocks.

Sneaky hard towards the end of the second block, a good fitness check - I've been doing more flat riding than usual, because of a flat century I did and was training for. The OU was harder since I haven't been doing as much climbing in the past month or so.
Old 08-17-21, 10:25 AM
spelger

boy this zwift cancellation was short lived. somewhat forced to restart much earlier than expected. smoke here in reno is beginning to look worse than last year with the Dixie fire. it just seems to be non stop this year.

funny side note: local school district is on a two hour delay due to smoke because, well, you know, in two hours the smoke will be better, sure.
Likes For spelger:
Old 08-18-21, 08:10 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Was it so dark they felt uncomfortable to run busses?

It's probably a bad idea for me to ride outside rn until I get some medical issues sorted, so I'm mostly on zwift. Also outside rides where I can coast downhill to my car if something happens.
Old 08-26-21, 08:34 PM
spelger

not so dark to run buses. darker in winter for sure. i presume someone just wanted a day off.
smoke was worse the next day and they were back in school.