Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Went on my 1st 'bent test ride and.......

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 08-11-05, 10:21 PM
pcrx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I believe that I AM converted!!!

While not as simple as popping onto the comfort bike Raleigh I was looking at....there is "something" about the recumbent... I WILL say to you all that I did have that "stupid grin" on my face once I had it going!!

I test rode a deep blue Sun EZ-Rider today. The thing had everything but disc brakes. It had a fender in the rear, cool fender on the front, bottle holders, rack, fairing, this thing was pretty sweet and ready to go! $800 (+$100 for the fairing if you want) The rear shock seemed to cushion the ride over a few bumps very nicely. Plush.

I plan on (and the LBS owner agreed) to go to other places and test as many 'bents and styles of 'em that I can. He pointed me to some other shops that carry more 'bents. I told him I want to order from him (figure he is 2 blocks from me so if I can support a local business I will) and he mentioned he can get most anything and to just make sure it feels right first. Cool and NO pressure. He said to keep a notepad of my likes/dislikes/experiences...and then go back and re-ride 'em a second time.

I will say this as my "summary of my first test and first ever 'bent ride: The Sun EX Rider:

Strength: Will always be my "first 'bent ride" and it rode like a Lincoln Towncar.

Weakness: Long and heavy as a Lincoln Towncar

Thanks to you all and this forum to helping me take the leap and actually try it out and not "buy the first thing I saw." I did not nearly expect to have such a reaction to something like riding a bike.
Old 08-12-05, 05:09 AM
bnet1
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations! You have just made the first step into the wonderful world of 'bents! Keep us posted as to what you actually decide on as your purchase.
Old 08-12-05, 06:01 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Make sure you ride every recumbent you can find, even ones that you know are out of your price range or styles you don't want. Then ride ALL of them a second time, even the ones you didn't like on the first try. It's amazing how perceptions can change WRT handling and comfort in a certain position. Once you've made the second pass, you'll be ready to either make a decision or at least come up with a short list.
Old 08-12-05, 06:43 AM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Make sure you ride every recumbent you can find, even ones that you know are out of your price range or styles you don't want. Then ride ALL of them a second time, even the ones you didn't like on the first try. It's amazing how perceptions can change WRT handling and comfort in a certain position. Once you've made the second pass, you'll be ready to either make a decision or at least come up with a short list.
Now if only someone actually sold recumbents in my area!!!

Maybe I should open my own recumbent bike shop...
Old 08-12-05, 10:25 AM
pcrx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to remember this advice - particularluy riding ones that may be out of my price range. I already had started making a "'bent list" of ones based on price - and figured I would try just those. I need to try more and be a bit more flexible (without stretching into the thousands of dollar models of course) and not discount a bike because it is just over a certain price threshold.

That thinking is what caused me to automatically exclude the 'bent I finally tried last night - I took one look at the tag of $800 a week or so ago and turned away from it without giving it a chance. I am glad I came around!!

I will be in Colorado soon and will try a lot of bikes at a few shops I discovered there.
Old 08-12-05, 11:08 AM
JohnH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another good thing about testing 'bents out of your price range - you may eliminate one you've been pining for. Before finally buying my 'bent, I testrode a higher-end 'bent being sold used - which put it just barely down into my price range. I had dreamed bout this bike since I'd first started researching 'bents. Gorgeous bike, sleek, etc., but not right for me given my current requirements/desires. I don't dream about it any more, and I appreciate the bike I do have even more because of that experience.
Old 08-12-05, 11:29 AM
pcrx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far I have assembled this list of bikes that it looks like I would like to actually be able to test ride eventually. Not sure if these are avaliabe for testing everywhere but between some shops near Seattle and the few in Arvada and Fort Collins, Colorado I hope to ride at least these and others if I can.

Exciting!

Sun EZ Rider (rode and loved it!)
Actionbent Tidal Wave
Actionbent Road Runner
Rans Tailwind (kind of a L O N G bike)
Cannondale Bent I and/or II
Maxarya (I like the looks of those unsure if they are around for testing)
Cycle Genius (any and all)

One other question I do have. What are the thoughts on the models with suspensions vs. without. For the "majority of the time" are things like rear suspension more eye candy than actually helping to keep the ride smooth?

I guess I will find out when I test out one without a suspension - but I am just curious if it makes any real difference in your opinions or maybe it is better to KISS on the "features" like that?

Thanks!!!
Old 08-12-05, 12:33 PM
scarry
Bent_Rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Aero, BikeE, Bruce Gordon Rock n Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pcrx
One other question I do have. What are the thoughts on the models with suspensions vs. without. For the "majority of the time" are things like rear suspension more eye candy than actually helping to keep the ride smooth?

I guess I will find out when I test out one without a suspension - but I am just curious if it makes any real difference in your opinions or maybe it is better to KISS on the "features" like that?

Thanks!!!

If you want speed, suspension is not for you. And it definetly violates the KISS pricipal
Old 08-12-05, 12:53 PM
pcrx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess one reason also I ask about the rear suspension is that it would appear to provide a smoother ride for the back, but unless you are riding the surface of the moon maybe a solid rde with no rear suspension is just as smooth and easy on the back.

I guess since I have a back condition (LSS - Lower Spinal Stenois) I want to protect my back from harm as much as possible, but at the same time I don't want to discount a bike just because it does not have a rear suspension and I am afraid of getting a jolt to my back.

It does seem that the newer 'bents have suspensions more often than the earlier models.
Old 08-12-05, 03:23 PM
JohnH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess since I have a back condition (LSS - Lower Spinal Stenois) I want to protect my back from harm as much as possible, but at the same time I don't want to discount a bike just because it does not have a rear suspension and I am afraid of getting a jolt to my back.
Much depends on the state of the roads in your area, and how hilly it is. Suspended 'bents in general are heavier than otherwise-comparable unsuspended bikes, and they often lose some power in "pogo", particularly when you're really pedaling hard - sprinting or climbing. OTOH, if the streets are rough good suspension is a wonderful thing. If your roads are not the greatest and the area is not too hilly, you might just be happiest with suspension. The converse is also true, which is why I ride an unsuspended bike.
Old 08-12-05, 05:09 PM
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also try and find bent riders in your community if any and ask them for test rides . Most of us are happy to help.
Old 08-12-05, 10:21 PM
ChiliDog

Bikes: Electra Townie crank forward, Specialized flat bar road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out some recumbent trikes too. Also, you can ride on fat, lower pressure tires for a more "suspended" ride feel. Most bent's frames flex pretty well and offer a pretty cushioned ride and also most have well padded seats. Those items will offer you a more cushioned ride than mesh seats or skinny, high pressure tires.
Old 08-13-05, 07:30 AM
cjs1948

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far I have assembled this list of bikes that it looks like I would like to actually be able to test ride eventually. Not sure if these are avaliabe for testing everywhere but between some shops near Seattle and the few in Arvada and Fort Collins, Colorado I hope to ride at least these and others if I can.

Exciting!

Sun EZ Rider (rode and loved it!)
Actionbent Tidal Wave
Actionbent Road Runner
Rans Tailwind (kind of a L O N G bike)
Cannondale Bent I and/or II
Maxarya (I like the looks of those unsure if they are around for testing)
Cycle Genius (any and all)

Thanks!!!
In order: The Arvada shop is no longer open. You should definitely try some Burleys which you will find in Ft. Collins. I like suspension and will have it whenever it is available--but it isn't, mostly, so my trikes don't have it and they ride just fine. Well, that's not entirely true. I make shock-corded seats for my trikes which, in effect, gives a suspended ride. (I only ride three wheels.)

Chip
Old 08-13-05, 09:59 AM
pcrx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awww that is a bummer on the Arvada shop. Their website still works though.....weird. I will check out the Ft. Collins shop for sure. From a few local shops near Seattle to the Ft. Collins shop it looks like I should be able to test out all the above bikes and more (except the Maxarya,,,,,)