Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is it true that you guys remove reflectors, kickstands and chain guards?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-18, 01:34 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
depends on the bike. road and mountain bikes get stripped of all unnecessary junk. The bikes I have for just cruising around, meh. I even have 4 bikes with kickstands! (okay, 1 of them it is impossible to remove, and the other 3 already had them installed when I got them, and they are strictly for cruising around, maybe up to the pool, or running an errand)
Old 01-31-18, 01:39 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by steppinthrax
Just out of curiosity what do you guys use as lights (rear/front)?
MagicShine knockoff: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's not as bright or as long running as advertised, but it's pretty dang bright and lasts more than long enough for my commute. Heckuva a deal for $20.
Old 01-31-18, 01:46 PM
emptym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting discussion about reflectors causing or preventing wheel imbalance. Love the humorous ones too.

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
... I would love to find a way to mount a little LED, battery, and switch inside them, though.
There are a few companies that make wheel reflectors with LEDs in them.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Quite an exclusive elite!
It might be... A friend who owns a major forum told me that in general on forums, something like 98% of posts are made by 2% of the members. Most people who register make no posts or maybe a handful.
Old 01-31-18, 02:07 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Depends on the bike. Some bikes have them purposefully removed (generally my road bike), some I don't care about either way (they stay however they came), some I purposefully install them on (generally my commonly ridden ones).

As others have mentioned, if I am out at night, I don't bother with front/rear reflectors, get lights.

Originally Posted by TimothyH
I want more photos of kickstands.
Here's the one I use on all my bikes that have them:

Old 01-31-18, 03:57 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
My bikes have Oralite conspicuity tape on the rims in place of reflectors.

Black tape is nearly invisible during the day but lights up at night when car headlights shine on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9cWPe71n_w

-Tim-
Ditto. It's on the satin black forks and textured black rear battery, can see them in this pic. I've laid translucent amber over them now, still as discrete but light up orange.

The wheels are the place to do them, as your video shows, but with the tyres already having a reflective stripe it must be quite a sight for motorists already.
Old 01-31-18, 04:43 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by PdalPowr
I proved this to myself by taking the reflector off and spinning the wheel.
Every time the wheel spun the valve would stop at the bottom.
I've often (but not always) found the same, and also that even inner tube patches can effect where the wheel stops. When using wheel reflectors, I always place 'em opposite the valve... just like all the manufactures and bike shops do.
Old 01-31-18, 05:49 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I've often (but not always) found the same, and also that even inner tube patches can effect where the wheel stops. When using wheel reflectors, I always place 'em opposite the valve... just like all the manufactures and bike shops do.
I am not saying its true on all wheels but I have watched a bike in a repair stand having the rear wheel spun. The stand shakes when there is no reflector on there but hardly moves when the reflector is replaced.
Old 01-31-18, 05:59 PM
odiolalluvia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It depends on how you are using your bike. My husband has a kickstand on his bike and that's helpful for where we need to store it in the apartment. At the shop we recommend kickstands to anyone who uses their bike for any kind of cargo, even if it's just grocery runs. Sometimes it can be easier to load up your bike if you've got a kickstand. Chain guards are great on commuter bikes. Keeps your pants clean. Get rid of your reflectors. They're basically worthless. Replace them with some really nice lights.
Old 01-31-18, 08:17 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Just curious. I'm new to all of this and I have reflectors on both my front/rear wheels (spoke). I also still have the front reflector on my handlebar. I bought a kickstand for my bike because It never had one.
No. I built my bike from a frame and it didn't come with reflectors, kickstand, or chain guard.

OTOH, when I built a new wheelset I used Velocity HALO retro-reflective powder coated rims.

Once I was riding more without sunlight, I upgraded to a dynamo front hub powering a matching fork crown mounted headlamp and taillight including a German Z-mark reflector. I also have reflective ankle bands and harness with far more reflective area than stock bikes.
Old 02-02-18, 03:13 PM
John Redcorn

Bikes: Crosstrail Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my oldest daughter her 1st real LBS bike for Christmas (Fuji Silhouette) LBS installed a kickstand. I took it off because I didn't want her relying on it and the expensive (to us) bike comes crashing to the ground if bumped or strong wind, better to have it already on the ground if not being ridden imo.

Lucky I took it off for 1 because the way they installed it was pinching the FD cable and 2 I heard her mention something to my youngest daughter (who's not into cycling) about her huffy: "only normie bikes have kickstands"

Last edited by John Redcorn; 02-02-18 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-02-18, 04:10 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Most of my bikes have been assembled from parts, or otherwise didn't come with reflectors, kickstands, or chainguards.

If I'm working on a bike for a friend or family member, I tend to leave the equipment on it that it came with. However, if a reflector is broken so it is merely a mount, it comes off. Also, many of the wheel reflectors are designed so they get in the way of doing wheel maintenance, and they break when one attempts to remove them then re-install.

Chainstay kickstands are also notorious for damaging one's bicycle.

I have considered adding bashguards to some of my bikes, but it hasn't been a high priority. It is easy enough to keep pants and etc from getting into the chain. I did make a "bashguard" for a tandem project I was building in which the captain's chainring was such that the spider could possibly snag clothing, and it was better to protect it.

As others have mentioned, I use active lighting. I choose bright clothing, and try to find clothing with reflective components.
Old 02-02-18, 05:43 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Last time my bike had all that stuff, I was in 5th grade, long time ago, on my Reynal "English Racer" 3 speed. I still have a few reflectors here and there, kickstands and chain guards, even fenders, uh .... no.
Old 02-02-18, 06:28 PM
CliffordK

My new cassette arrived today

Will I be given a free pass if I remove the spoke protector before installing it?

NewCassette.jpg

Oh, by the way, is the best way to remove the things to torch them off?

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...heel-fire.html

Last edited by CliffordK; 02-02-18 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-02-18, 07:40 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I wonder why they don't just make dork discs look like an extra cog. It would solve two problems. First, it would eliminate the shame factor. Second, you could be the first kid on the block with a 3x13.
Old 02-02-18, 08:07 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I wonder why they don't just make dork discs look like an extra cog. It would solve two problems. First, it would eliminate the shame factor. Second, you could be the first kid on the block with a 3x13.
Truthfully... if I ever need to drop down to 30 x 42.... I'll be REALLY HURTING.

So, perhaps I could just block it off.
Old 02-02-18, 08:15 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Truthfully... if I ever need to drop down to 30 x 42.... I'll be REALLY HURTING.

So, perhaps I could just block it off.
It's a beauty, especially seeing how much detail has gone into the shape of the gears since my first ten-speed with plain cogs in the late 70s.
Old 02-04-18, 09:57 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No.
At least not everyone. Some people apparently obsess about looks and fashion, some could care less. If I was building a bike up I probably would not include those items, but it they came on my bike like most of my bikes have I leave them alone.
Except kickstands, I will add those on some bikes... especially on touring or otherwise loaded bikes. There will not always be something to lean a bike up against and I really don't want to lay a bike down or risk it falling down with it full of gear, groceries, expensive camera equipment, etc. Heck I think its not respectful to lay down any bike on the ground unless its truly a beater.
Old 02-04-18, 10:29 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I take the reflectors off the bike spokes. I leave the reflectors front and rear on the bike and trike if they are not in the way. Most bikes have not had chain guards for years, and my trike didnt come with a kick stand.
Old 02-04-18, 10:41 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by T Stew
No.
At least not everyone. Some people apparently obsess about looks and fashion, some could care less. If I was building a bike up I probably would not include those items, but it they came on my bike like most of my bikes have I leave them alone.
Except kickstands, I will add those on some bikes... especially on touring or otherwise loaded bikes. There will not always be something to lean a bike up against and I really don't want to lay a bike down or risk it falling down with it full of gear, groceries, expensive camera equipment, etc. Heck I think its not respectful to lay down any bike on the ground unless its truly a beater.
Just make sure your bike is built to withstand a kickstand or you install the correct type:
https://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spe..._haul_truckers
Old 02-04-18, 11:43 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by T Stew
No.
Some of us race our bikes. A kickstand on a race bike isn’t just useless, it’s potentially hazardous. So it’s not just about looks or fashion.
Old 02-04-18, 12:43 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Easily done. Just get one of the Shimano "MegaRange" clusters and adjust the derailleur to not use the largest cog.
Old 02-04-18, 12:45 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
For a utility bike, kickstands, chain guards, and reflectors can be useful, as noted elsewhere above.

For performance-oriented bikes, not only do people remove kickstands, chain guards, and reflectors, but also (don't tell anyone!) they sometimes ride without underwear!
Old 02-04-18, 03:22 PM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Just make sure your bike is built to withstand a kickstand or you install the correct type:
https://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spe..._haul_truckers

Yes by all means make sure you know what you're doing when adding any equipment, especially kickstands. This brings up a sore point why a simple kickstand plate is not standard on touring bikes when its so easy to damage the chainstays, but this thread is more about their removal.

Originally Posted by caloso
Some of us race our bikes. A kickstand on a race bike isn’t just useless, it’s potentially hazardous. So it’s not just about looks or fashion.
Very true I forgot the racer angle.
Old 02-06-18, 12:22 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
I pulled a tag off my mattress once too.

I know, I know you can stand in awe...I live life on the razors edge.

They knew you from the day it came to you, don't worry, the day will come
Old 02-06-18, 12:23 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by TruthBomb
Lack of reflectors, kickstands and chain guards = "obsess about looks and fashion"?

That's odd even for bikeforums.

Even more odd.

Why in the world would any sane person add a kickstand to this bike that is being "disrespected'?

They DID leave it at the 'no bikes' sign at least.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.