Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best way to sell a bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best way to sell a bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18, 08:39 AM
angus99

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best way to sell a bike

Hi, I’m new here and have a general question about how to sell a bike. My wife never bonded with the 2013 Ruby Compact Elite I bought her (she needs a more upright position) so we recently put it on Craigslist. It’s been ridden maybe 5 times and has perhaps 50 miles on it—absolutely pristine.

The selling options I know of include Craigslist, eBay and forums like this. I’d prefer local pickup vs breaking it down for shipping, so that would seem to limit the latter two. I’m guessing I’d never get full value on a trade-in. So are there other options to consider? Also, how real-world are the prices on bicyclebluebook?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-07-18, 08:54 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
blue book is too low, price it $100 dollars higher than what you have to have for it, then negotiate

don't ship. put on craigslist and wait for contact. if people contact and ask if you'll ship, just say no. if they want it bad enough they will drive to get it

if you hear something right away, you might have priced it too low. if you hear nothing, maybe too high

and take/post good pictures. up close of the crank, the rear derail, and the stickers that show the model, size etc.
Old 02-07-18, 09:00 AM
GailT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by angus99
I’m guessing I’d never get full value on a trade-in.
It might be worth taking it to the store where you bought it to see what they would offer on a trade - they might give you a good trade-in value and/or a good price on new bike for a repeat customer.
Old 02-07-18, 09:02 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
eBay listings can state local pickup only - no shipping. Unfortunately, you'll still get a lot of responses from people who don't bother to read that part, or will just ask you to ship anyway.

If you're putting it on Craigslist, always ask for more than you are willing to take for the bike. EVERYBODY that responds will ask you to accept less. Some will ask for a LOT less. Try to negotiate and hopefully you'll end up at the price you originally wanted.

The value of any item is determined by how much someone wants it, and is willing to pay for it. When the right buyer comes along, you'll be able to sell easily. Good luck!
Old 02-07-18, 09:20 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I sell a lot of stuff on CL. When I list a bike (or anything really), I list it for what I think it's worth and don't negotiate on price. I am very patient and will re-list it for a lower price if it doesn't move. You'll get a lot of email from low-ballers. I just ignore them. You can tell pretty easily if someone is a serious buyer or not. If that were my bike I would start with somewhere between 55 & 60% of MSRP.
Old 02-07-18, 09:22 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
try eBay and CraigsList
Old 02-07-18, 10:09 AM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
I listed a bike airline box on CL.
Got 2 “Scam” texts right away.
Be aware
One offer $50 more, he said he’d
mail a Me a check, when it clears my account , he’d send friend to pick up.
I texted back cash only. Send friend the check to cash, friend bring cash.

Similar response couple days later.

Never heard back from either.
Old 02-07-18, 10:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Despite what the bluebook value, appraised value or opinions of others. If no one buys it, it's not worth anything.

If you are in an area where used bikes are hard to sell, then you need to use every method that is available to you. If the one person willing to pay your price for that bike doesn't see an add, then you are stuck with the ones offering less.

Then you have to consider if keeping it longer will get you your price vs half what you wanted.

If I held out for my price, I'd still have unused bikes taking up space in my garage.
Old 02-07-18, 10:57 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
eBay listings can state local pickup only - no shipping. Unfortunately, you'll still get a lot of responses from people who don't bother to read that part, or will just ask you to ship anyway.

If you're putting it on Craigslist, always ask for more than you are willing to take for the bike. EVERYBODY that responds will ask you to accept less. Some will ask for a LOT less. Try to negotiate and hopefully you'll end up at the price you originally wanted.

The value of any item is determined by how much someone wants it, and is willing to pay for it. When the right buyer comes along, you'll be able to sell easily. Good luck!
Doesn't hurt to try Ebay also.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 02-07-18, 11:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Long internet, email conversations, back and forth with the buyer..

I bought my Koga WTR , from someone on the opposite coast , that way ..
Old 02-07-18, 11:48 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by GailT
It might be worth taking it to the store where you bought it to see what they would offer on a trade - they might give you a good trade-in value and/or a good price on new bike for a repeat customer.
To piggy back on this idea...

If the local bike shop doesn't want to buy it, ask them where they suggest selling it.

I'm sure that the guys at the local bike shop know all the best places to sell used bikes specific to your area.

There might be another local bike shop you don't know about that doesn't advertise well. Some local mom and pop businesses thrive on word of mouth and don't have fancy websites that make them easy for you to find as a new customer.

There might also be some local bike swap meet you'd never find out about doing a google search that the local bike shop guys can direct you to.

Even if you don't buy anything from their store they should do whatever they can to be helpful to you, hoping that you'll remember them in the future when you actually do want to spend money on bike stuff.
Old 02-07-18, 02:32 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
If you have Facebook, you can try Facebook Marketplace as well.

No, you won't get near original pricing back. What I tend to do is find similar bikes to the one I'm selling, and price it somewhere in that range. Price can vary considerably by location and size, the Blue Books may or may not reflect an appropriate value.

Also, as others have mentioned, most of my stuff is priced 10-15% high, expecting nearly everyone will try to bargain. Pleasant surprise when someone pays full asking price, though!
Old 02-07-18, 02:35 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Grab a "slowtwitch" forum account and post enough to get classifieds access. Those tri forums list all sorts of bike stuff. I've gotten some deals there, and they police sellers pretty well for fear of getting "outted" on the forum.

Local Facebook cycling groups with classifieds.

CL is OK, just take the normal precautions in your post and meeting people or exchanging money. I usually only do cash or on-the-spot Paypal. And I don't do Paypal "gift".
Old 02-07-18, 02:57 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
I've sold a few bikes on Craigslist. I suggest stating cash only to prevent others from offering checks or payment plans (yes it was asked). You will have low ballers, I even had one low ****** whom tried to buy all three bikes I had on Craigslist all together for half of what I wanted individually.

Look at other bikes similar on Craigslist and price similar maybe a bit less to be competitive priced. I did this and sold quickly. While the other bikes sat and most likely were talked down.
Old 02-07-18, 03:09 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
One other thought is if you have a bike co op, you could list it there. I've sold a bike or two that way. Mostly I sell on CL. I know what the lowest $$ I want before I list it, and tend to go 50-100 higher in the ad, depending on the bike. Usually it comes down to just funding another bike/parts and making some garage space.

Do some basic stuff though to make it more attractive - inflate the tires, wash it, spray some bike wax on it to make is shiny, put some oil on the chain, make sure it shifts and brakes properly - basically anything that a potential buyer might look at and try and haggle on during a test ride.
Old 02-07-18, 06:13 PM
Estacado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
One other thought is if you have a bike co op, you could list it there. I've sold a bike or two that way. Mostly I sell on CL. I know what the lowest $$ I want before I list it, and tend to go 50-100 higher in the ad, depending on the bike. Usually it comes down to just funding another bike/parts and making some garage space.

Do some basic stuff though to make it more attractive - inflate the tires, wash it, spray some bike wax on it to make is shiny, put some oil on the chain, make sure it shifts and brakes properly - basically anything that a potential buyer might look at and try and haggle on during a test ride.

Excellent advice! I am the opposite of you. I looked on craigslist/facebook/ebay for months for the bike I wanted. It surprised me the amount of people that posted pictures of filthy bikes and asking retail price! I think they just throw stuff out there to see if it will stick. My pet peeve had to be that 90% of the people do not list size. I bet it will save you a ton of emails if you do. Best of luck.
Old 02-07-18, 07:33 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Estacado
Excellent advice! I am the opposite of you. I looked on craigslist/facebook/ebay for months for the bike I wanted. It surprised me the amount of people that posted pictures of filthy bikes and asking retail price!
This. Clean, well-maintained bikes sell and stay sold. I buy and sell a lot. Full disclosure, clean bike, well-maintained and congenial dealings is the best way to sell any bike.
Old 02-08-18, 03:42 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Try Pinkbike.com buy and sell as well. Pinkbike is mostly mountain bike, but there is all kinds of road stuff as well. Depends on the area, but here the ratio of serious buyers is higher on Pinkbike, and the average price and value are both higher.
Old 02-08-18, 07:50 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Local Bike Clubs, get on their contacts.
Old 02-08-18, 10:42 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The bottom line is you have to find a potential buyer who values the bike about the same as you. It doesn't matter what the Bicycle Blue Book says or what anybody else says, you still have to find a buyer.

Two questions:

What kind of bike are you trying to sell? The more common the bike, the more local your potential market. If you are trying to sell something uncommon, like a recumbent tandem, I'd suggest posting on a specialty internet site.

How flexible are you on price? The first offer you get may be the best, or only one that you receive. Holding out for the last dollar, if you lose your buyer, may simply net you an expensive clothes rack for another year vs. money in your pocket that you can spend. FWIW, it's generally best to be the first to suggest a selling price because that establishes the basis for any negotiation that ensues.
Old 02-08-18, 01:35 PM
angus99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great feedback on this forum!!! In response to questions about what bike/condition, it’s a 2013 Specialized Ruby Elite Compact, 51 cm, in /flawless, pristine condition (as in maybe 50-60 miles). New it sold for $2,750. I’ve already had offers for trades, but short of the bluebook value. I’ll try to post some pix.
Old 02-08-18, 01:48 PM
deephate

Bikes: COLNAGO! Litespeed, Motobecane, Peugeot, Gitane, Fuji, Nishiki, Centurion, Panasonic, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Bianchi, Winsor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I second the Facebook response. I rarely go there (until I recently found some vintage and steel bike groups) but my son buys and sells tons of things on there. Many people seem to use it.
Old 02-08-18, 01:57 PM
angus99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the photos won’t upload. I thought a minimum number of 10 posts were necessary before pictures would upload.
Old 02-09-18, 11:44 AM
angus99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all for the good suggestions. For those asking to see the Ruby I’m selling, it’s now on Pinkbike; I can’t post photos here yet.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2324873/
Old 02-09-18, 01:19 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was going to just suggest buying a shorter stem or one with more rise, but after seeing the bike's pictures, never mind. If she needs more upright than that then no road bike is going to work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.