Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help Identify 1987 Canadian-made Peugeot

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help Identify 1987 Canadian-made Peugeot

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-18, 11:48 AM
geocanada

Bikes: 1986 Dawes Super Galaxy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help Identify 1987 Canadian-made Peugeot *now with photos

I just brought home a 1987 Canadian-made Peugeot but haven't been able to identify it despite lots of research. The serial number starts with a 7 and the colours (magenta) and graphic match what I'd expect from an '87. I can't find any more on it, though, even in the BikeBoom catalogues and a photo search online. As a newbie on the forum I don't believe I'm able to post a photo but there is one in my photo album here on the site. The most unique aspect is the graphic on the seat tube, something I haven't seen anywhere before. Note that this is a Frankenbike with non-original brakes and derailleurs and other parts. I can't even find any markings for the frame composition. Any help is greatly appreciated.

*I've tried to post a photo a couple times with no luck. I've checked the forum rules and don't see any mention of newbies not being able to post photos but I'd appreciate clarification on that. Thanks!*

Update 7/16: Photos now added below!

Last edited by geocanada; 07-16-18 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-13-18, 03:31 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
You need ten posts before you are permitted the option of posting pictures. Go say hello to a few people and show me your Peugeot. I am Canadian and have been lucky enough to have stumbled across a Peugeot or two...
Old 07-13-18, 04:27 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Canadian Peugeot Models

Peugeot used the same model name for totally different bikes depending on the market. For example the 1988 Aravis was a near the top of the line model in the UK with a Reynolds 531P (Professional) frame. In Canada it was an entry level model.

The 1988 Biarritz was 3rd from the top in the US and a middle end hybrid in Canada. Is it wrong or just French?

1988 Canadian Biarritz

When you can post some pictures we can probably help. Send us some loonies or better yet some toonies! Send @randyjawa a tuque adjuster and a two-fer too!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 07-13-18 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-13-18, 04:36 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Graphics are early 1990s. The presnce of a single set of bottle bosses and dropout eyelets suggest an entry level model, possibly a Sprint.
Old 07-13-18, 10:29 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
@geocanada,

welcome to the forum.

Is the Peugeot a road bike or a mountain bike?

In road bikes there was a UO 12 Sprint that was dark magenta in colour. Later there was a PB16, a brighter colour, not quite pink, possibly magenta.
Old 07-14-18, 11:06 AM
geocanada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
You need ten posts before you are permitted the option of posting pictures. Go say hello to a few people and show me your Peugeot. I am Canadian and have been lucky enough to have stumbled across a Peugeot or two...
Thanks! I'm going to start working more on those 10 posts. Can't wait to get the picture up.
Old 07-14-18, 11:14 AM
geocanada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, verktvg. I may in fact be an Aravis. That seat tube artwork may, in fact, hold the word Aravis in it though quite cryptically. I had seen the Biarritz in the US catalogue of the time and it was the closest in colour. A few more posts and the photos will come!
Old 07-14-18, 11:16 AM
geocanada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Graphics are early 1990s. The presnce of a single set of bottle bosses and dropout eyelets suggest an entry level model, possibly a Sprint.
I'm pretty sure it's '87 based on the logo font and lean to it but I am starting to think it's a Sprint.
Old 07-14-18, 11:17 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Hummer
@geocanada,

welcome to the forum.

Is the Peugeot a road bike or a mountain bike?

In road bikes there was a UO 12 Sprint that was dark magenta in colour. Later there was a PB16, a brighter colour, not quite pink, possibly magenta.
It's a road bike with an ugly fork. Mountain bikes have chain stays that are spread for wide tires.
Old 07-15-18, 07:15 PM
geocanada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Photos!

Here, finally, are some photos of my new acquisition. It's made in Canada and, so far, with the help of this thread I'm thinking it's a 1987 or 88 Aravis. Let me know your thoughts. BTW, it has Italmanubri Europa Super Racing bars, Nervar crankset and Araya rims. The seat and rear derailleur are certainly not original.

Old 07-17-18, 09:48 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Looks like a nice bike, however our (Bike Forum Vintage Geeks like to see a full shot of the drive side). That side contains so much more information than the non-drive side.

Also, though I am not sure this is a hard and fast rule, you are supposed to photograph you bike in front of a white garage door. Sadly, I have no garage, let alone a garage door, but the kind folks here, put up with me, anyway. Can you get garage doors on Amazon?-)

With that foolishness out of the way, I do like the bike and my guess is that you will really enjoy the ride quality. Something easy to do and good to do, would be to squirt a wee bit of WD40 on each spoke/nipple joint(this dramatically aids in truing, later on, when truing will become necessary). And, while at it, ball up some aluminum foil, shiny side out, and rub the spokes with it. That will clean, smooth and even shine them up a bit.

Other than that, for now, one final piece of advice - rubber side goes down!-)
Old 07-17-18, 12:07 PM
geocanada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Randy. There's not much to see on the drive side but your photo tip is noted. Here's a shot of the drive now that I've started to disassemble. The rear derailleur was an Acera MTB one so it was the first item to come off. I actually just traded it for an old pair of aerobars

Old 07-17-18, 01:21 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
geocanada-

I think you may have a Euro spec Peugeot there. I've not seen a Canadian Peugeot with that style of seat tube graphic but it was used around 1990 on European ones. Perhaps check Cycles Retro Peugeot?
Old 07-23-18, 08:18 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Graphics are early 1990s. The presence of a single set of bottle bosses and dropout eyelets suggest an entry level model, possibly a Sprint.
Originally Posted by bertinjim
...I think you may have a Euro spec Peugeot there. I've not seen a Canadian Peugeot with that style of seat tube graphic but it was used around 1990 on European ones....
Supporting the early 1990s assessments, here's another Peugeot with the same graphics. While European market, the serial number indicates it was manufactured in France during April 1991. These graphics also show up in 1992 European catalogues.
Old 07-30-18, 08:25 AM
geocanada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks,T-Mar. There is actually a 'Made in Canada' sticker on the chain stay. The serial number is 7006914 which I now understand is likely April, 1991. Initially I was looking at the first digit, 7 and thinking 1997. I've looked at all the brochures I can but haven't seen any road bikes with this graphic. My main priority is to identify the frame type so I'll dive back in and compare specs to try to figure it out.
Old 07-30-18, 10:42 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
Peugeot used the same model name for totally different bikes depending on the market. For example the 1988 Aravis was a near the top of the line model in the UK with a Reynolds 531P (Professional) frame. In Canada it was an entry level model.

The 1988 Biarritz was 3rd from the top in the US and a middle end hybrid in Canada. Is it wrong or just French?

1988 Canadian Biarritz

When you can post some pictures we can probably help. Send us some loonies or better yet some toonies! Send @randyjawa a tuque adjuster and a two-fer too!

verktyg
absolutely in love with that Biarritz! How is it called a hybrid?
Old 07-30-18, 03:07 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
absolutely in love with that Biarritz! How is it called a hybrid?
By mistake? I have yet to see a hybrid frame without dropout eyelets and cantilever studs (unless it is a modern version using disc brakes). Hybrid cables are typically all run along the top tube using cable stops, as opposed to brake tunnels. Even though some early and inexpensive models used own tube cable routing for the derailleurs, I've always seen cable stops, as opposed to shift lever bosses. The stay spacing looks a narrow for the typical 35-38mm hybrid tyres. All the features say "road frame" to me.
Old 07-30-18, 06:09 PM
Amocat223

Bikes: Gios

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Looks like a nice bike, however our (Bike Forum Vintage Geeks like to see a full shot of the drive side). That side contains so much more information than the non-drive side.

Also, though I am not sure this is a hard and fast rule, you are supposed to photograph you bike in front of a white garage door. Sadly, I have no garage, let alone a garage door, but the kind folks here, put up with me, anyway. Can you get garage doors on Amazon?-)

With that foolishness out of the way, I do like the bike and my guess is that you will really enjoy the ride quality. Something easy to do and good to do, would be to squirt a wee bit of WD40 on each spoke/nipple joint(this dramatically aids in truing, later on, when truing will become necessary). And, while at it, ball up some aluminum foil, shiny side out, and rub the spokes with it. That will clean, smooth and even shine them up a bit.

Other than that, for now, one final piece of advice - rubber side goes down!-)
Drive side shot is crucial !!
Old 08-02-18, 05:40 PM
geocanada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In case any of you are still wondering what bike this is I picked up, as I am, I just found some photos on Pinterest of the frame set up as a road bike. It's the next piece of evidence in the mystery.
The story so far: 1991 serial number, Made in Canada chain stay sticker, does not appear in any online catalogues, Nervar crankset (I think it's original), mix of 600 and 105 (I don't think original), no frame material marking (that's what is driving me crazy).