Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need Help Identifying unopened bicycle boxes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Need Help Identifying unopened bicycle boxes

Old 12-01-20, 05:46 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,149 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
They're not from the '80s or '90s.

Bridgestone continued using the brand on bicycles after they abandoned the US market. Funnily enough, their high-end road/track offerings are branded "Anchor"

ETA: Hmm, seems they were using Bridgestone branding at a show in Tokyo in late 2019. Not sure exactly the structure of the company and its brands...

https://www.velobike.co.nz/blog/2019...yo-2020-review
Well thanks! I wasn’t aware of that.

Although it is odd that the only guy in the world who seems to know about this deal asks about models to look for and nearly all the responses are 80’s/90’s models.

On a side note, one would think Bridgestone would have adopted the Abchor brand for their earlier steel bikes and not their current carbon offerings... settle down, I’m just kidding.

John
Old 12-01-20, 05:48 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I’m always leery of the first posts that typically are so far out there that one really has to step back and marvel at the creativity level. I think this one probably surpasses most of the others.

I don’t think really believe these NOS Bridgestones exist.

But to play along, why ask here? Contact Grant Petersen. If anyone knows about Bridgestone shipping bikes in “unmarked” boxes, he’s the one.

Grant Petersen built an entire company and image that evolved from what he did at Bridgestone. And you’re telling me a Bridgestone dealer stuck these into storage 25 years ago and was oblivious about Rivendell for all these years?

John
OP said he's in Japan, the boxes look recent, rather than from the the US operation during the GP period, and instead of being entirely unmarked, "there is a sticker on the box with a lot no. and 2 codes like 1B43Kb and MHM370.P."

Bridgestone, in Japan, is a fairly middle of the road brand with a bunch of road bikes and MTBs. I'd say OP will end up with some 5-10 year old entry-mid level hardtail mountain bikes, rather than a stash of NOS XO-1s still in their original boxes.
Old 12-01-20, 05:54 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Well thanks! I wasn’t aware of that.

Although it is odd that the only guy in the world who seems to know about this deal asks about models to look for and nearly all the responses are 80’s/90’s models.

On a side note, one would think Bridgestone would have adopted the Abchor brand for their earlier steel bikes and not their current carbon offerings... settle down, I’m just kidding.

John
Yep, I assumed they were olde North American market bikes, but he said Japan in a later post. I haven't seen many Japanese posters on the forums, if anyone knows of one, alert them to the thread.
Old 12-01-20, 05:59 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by PDKL45
OP said he's in Japan, the boxes look recent, rather than from the the US operation during the GP period, and instead of being entirely unmarked, "there is a sticker on the box with a lot no. and 2 codes like 1B43Kb and MHM370.P."

Bridgestone, in Japan, is a fairly middle of the road brand with a bunch of road bikes and MTBs. I'd say OP will end up with some 5-10 year old entry-mid level hardtail mountain bikes, rather than a stash of NOS XO-1s still in their original boxes.
My first guess would be mamachari city bikes. Could be minivelos, would be kinda cool. No MTBs on this advert, but the flat bar road bike is kinda MTBish. Hard to tell, but I think the roadie is Anchor branded.

Old 12-01-20, 06:07 PM
PDKL45

My first guess would be mamachari city bikes. Could be minivelos, would be kinda cool. No MTBs on this advert, but the flat bar road bike is kinda MTBish. Hard to tell, but I think the roadie is Anchor branded.

OP said earlier in the thread that "Seller doesnt know the specific model, he only knows that some boxes are mountainbikes and some are childrens bikes."

I was going off the global products (https://www.bscycle.co.jp/global/products/index.html). A few MTBs there, but I've never seen one in person in Korea, unlike (admittedly rare) Bridgestone branded mid-level road bikes.

Japan's really interesting with bikes, in that they often have products that don't make it into any other markets. Check out the Giant website to see what I mean; the offerings are fairly standard across the world until you get to Japan, where there are Giants available that you just don't see anywhere else.

Last edited by PDKL45; 12-01-20 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-01-20, 07:59 PM
ted_major

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
What part of the world does this happen? What decade did it happen? How many times has it happened to you?
I’ve lived all over the US, SE Asia, and Japan and I’ve never had this happen, nor do I know anyone whom has personally experience this...
Curious minds and all....
I interviewed for a job selling white van speakers around 1989 in Charlotte, NC. Drive around, tell a bogus story like the ones above, and sell overpriced crappy speakers at a “discount.”
Old 12-01-20, 08:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Originally Posted by LeSexyFishorse
Cant open before buying unfortunately, seller has a history of legit sales and its Japan (there is generally a lot of social pressure to be honest) so im not really worried about it being a scam. He also has his shop address listed. Seems like he purchased one of those Open up a storage locker kind of deals that an closing bike shop owned.
So why can’t he now open up the boxes to see what’s inside? Seems like a smart business person would do that to make sure he isn’t cheating himself.

This makes no sense to me.
Old 12-01-20, 08:40 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
What part of the world does this happen? What decade did it happen? How many times has it happened to you?
I’ve lived all over the US, SE Asia, and Japan and I’ve never had this happen, nor do I know anyone whom has personally experience this...
Curious minds and all....
Happened to me 2 or 3 times in South America in the '90s, but heard it happened to some others too.
Old 12-01-20, 09:03 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Link to the Auction

https://injapan.ru/auction/522129541.html

Last edited by dedhed; 12-02-20 at 06:06 AM.
Old 12-02-20, 04:11 AM
LeSexyFishorse

Bikes: 93 Zunow Di Picce, Nakagawa, Bridgestone Track bike

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 27 Posts
Seems like theres a 5 post limit per 24 hours for newbies lol.

Originally Posted by Thomas15
Lets give the seller a name...Gus.

Gus buys a bunch of inventory from a bicycle shop that is going out of business. Problem is Gus doesn't know anything about bicycles so instead of looking at the paperwork to see how much the bike shop paid for the inventory, he sells them without any idea of the true value for $10-$50 buyer is in the dark. Instead of joining Bike Forums and asking the question, Gus simply sells them for a few bux.

I personally think the OP should buy everything Gus has to sell, take out a loan if necessary. There is gold in them hills!
They are going for 10-50 USD right now but they are up for auction so they can go for much higher. Given they have been for auction for a few days now and some have stayed at 10USD I thought it might be a good opportunity to get 1 or 2 of the 10USD ones since they would for sure sell for much higher than 10 bucks even if I listed them as used. He put them up for auction which to me goes in the direction of him having no expertise and letting the market determine a price for him instead of letting it eat up warehouse space.

Originally Posted by twowheeldesign
If its from a buy/sell shop, that should give a little more piece of mind I think, but regardless of what happens, OP if you pull the trigger on a box (or more) - keep us updated, I am curious!
They are a buy and sell shop. From their history I would say mostly auto parts. They seem to have the expertise for that even offering installs for some models parts for a separate fee. This is the first time I see them list a bicycle though which is what makes me think they dont have expertise.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
So why can’t he now open up the boxes to see what’s inside? Seems like a smart business person would do that to make sure he isn’t cheating himself.

This makes no sense to me.
Originally Posted by Koyote
Maybe you mentioned this and I missed it: have you simply asked if you can open the boxes?
I would open them if I were him. If I had to guess, maybe he opened 1 or two to identify the type and didn't bother with the rest since he doesn't know how to assemble or maintain them. 2nd hand market in Japan is picky about all original, could be he thinks amateurish assembly would lessen the value? Could be as simple as not expecting much profit from them given the age and likelihood they are entry level bikes that he feels its a hassle to assemble them all. He did mention there were like 30 odd boxes per bike type. Again though I have no idea. I tried to ask him if he could open a specific box for me to verify but he was adamant that he didn't have the expertise and that they were at the warehouse.
Old 12-02-20, 05:50 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts

They are going for 10-50 USD right now but they are up for auction so they can go for much higher. .
So the seller seems to somehow know which boxes should sell for 5x more than other boxes? Are those boxes much smaller, like maybe with the children's bikes that have 16" wheels?
Old 12-02-20, 06:23 AM
indyfabz

Old 12-02-20, 07:21 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
I've seen it in Phoenix, AZ in the '80s and Portland, OR in the '90s
Milwaukee 3 weeks ago, with steaks.

Tim
Old 12-02-20, 09:25 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
This is exciting. I would go for it. At the current prices, and even substantially higher, you don't stand to lose much.
Old 12-02-20, 09:46 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
I'm jumping in here a little late after the thread has gone off course and now returned.... I don't care what the guy is telling you they are, you're crazy for even entertaining the idea. You're basically telling us you might want to buy something that can't even be identified, that it's only a bike box?
Old 12-02-20, 10:01 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I would at least want to look through the hand holes to see if there is a bike in there and not some bricks or something. Whole thing seems bogus to me, but I know there are different norms in Japan than in the U.S. Right now bike shops are bartering for parts in the U.S., the bidding on these things would be considerable if they could tell what was in the box.
Old 12-02-20, 10:20 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I would at least want to look through the hand holes to see if there is a bike in there and not some bricks or something. Whole thing seems bogus to me, but I know there are different norms in Japan than in the U.S. Right now bike shops are bartering for parts in the U.S., the bidding on these things would be considerable if they could tell what was in the box.
If I could get mystery bikes shipped here for $10 a box, I would. I can build a boxed kids bike in 15 mins. Could probably sell it on CL for $50 fairly quickly.

Thing is the boxes are supposedly in Japan, and the auction copy is in Russian. I'm guessing the OP is in Japan? But doesn't know what the Japanese on the stickers says?
Old 12-02-20, 03:03 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
OP, do the seller guarantee there's a bike - any kind of bike - inside the box? Or they sell "as is", you must accept whatever is in the box?
Old 12-03-20, 05:27 AM
LeSexyFishorse

Bikes: 93 Zunow Di Picce, Nakagawa, Bridgestone Track bike

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
So the seller seems to somehow know which boxes should sell for 5x more than other boxes? Are those boxes much smaller, like maybe with the children's bikes that have 16" wheels?
He doesnt know, its more the auction market determining the price. He listed for a base price of 10USD, some of them have been bid higher.

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I'm jumping in here a little late after the thread has gone off course and now returned.... I don't care what the guy is telling you they are, you're crazy for even entertaining the idea. You're basically telling us you might want to buy something that can't even be identified, that it's only a bike box?
I'm telling you I want to buy something before completely identifying it for the right price. It is definitely a gamble for sure, The idea is that despite the odds, the worst outcome still nets me a profit. I found these while looking to buy my first road bike, quite the exciting sidetrack.

If I could get mystery bikes shipped here for $10 a box, I would. I can build a boxed kids bike in 15 mins. Could probably sell it on CL for $50 fairly quickly.

Thing is the boxes are supposedly in Japan, and the auction copy is in Russian. I'm guessing the OP is in Japan? But doesn't know what the Japanese on the stickers says?
Yea that was my logic, I dont speak Japanese fluently yet. I just moved recently. All I can read determine from the labels are some of the colors. And yes I can see tires and a rim through the holes of the boxes.

Originally Posted by Reynolds
OP, do the seller guarantee there's a bike - any kind of bike - inside the box? Or they sell "as is", you must accept whatever is in the box?
Its a buy at your own risk thing. They verified a few boxes being bikes and didnt bother checking the rest of the stock since they came from the same place. Still speaking to the bridgestone guys about trying to identify it. They dont have the lot numbers in their database which the guy said is relatively new. This makes me think these bikes are maybe late 90s early 2k? I suppose 50 USD including domestic shipping would be my cap since you can get decently maintained complete bikes for that price on auction here. Lets see how this plays out.
Old 12-03-20, 10:27 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts

Bid on the high wheeler bikes! Who doesnt love a good Penny Farthing for $50usd?

This thread is wild- made even more so since it appears legit.
I would 100% be willing to buy 2 boxes of something for $40usd. I have spent more on worse, and thats when I knew what I was buying!
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-03-20, 04:10 PM
indyfabz

Sounds like it’s time to **** or get off the pot, as they say.
Old 12-03-20, 04:35 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 345 Posts
I'm always wary - wouldn't the seller be better off at least opening them to give a better idea of what's in the box? Even an unbuilt model X or Y bike will sell for a lot more than a mystery box.

Of course, if there are bikes (or parts) in there, you can't really lose money at $10 a box. I've no idea about Japan but the price of bikes is really high at the moment due to covid and the impact on supply/demand.
Likes For Herzlos:
Old 12-04-20, 07:41 AM
PDKL45

Everyone's freaking out on the unopened boxes. But, if the seller has them stored somewhere remote from his office, the hassle of driving there, opening individual boxes, photographing bikes within, resealing the boxes and uploading the images to an uncertain buyer is much more hassle than it's worth.

It looks to be a Russian site listing Japanese auctions. I would assume the Japanese site has fraud protections, as well as OP's credit card company. It's not like OP's buying a closed box from a little truck advertising "Mr. Hashimoto's Mobile Bicycles, wholesale cabbage and non-fake Chinese iPhone store."

I would go for it.
Old 12-04-20, 04:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
Everyone's freaking out on the unopened boxes. But, if the seller has them stored somewhere remote from his office, the hassle of driving there, opening individual boxes, photographing bikes within, resealing the boxes and uploading the images to an uncertain buyer is much more hassle than it's worth.

It looks to be a Russian site listing Japanese auctions. I would assume the Japanese site has fraud protections, as well as OP's credit card company. It's not like OP's buying a closed box from a little truck advertising "Mr. Hashimoto's Mobile Bicycles, wholesale cabbage and non-fake Chinese iPhone store."

I would go for it.
I like this truck you speak of. Cabbage, bikes and non-fake iPhones are great. Do you know where I might find this truck?
Old 12-04-20, 05:01 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Cant open before buying unfortunately, seller has a history of legit sales and its Japan (there is generally a lot of social pressure to be honest) so im not really worried about it being a scam. He also has his shop address listed. Seems like he purchased one of those Open up a storage locker kind of deals that an closing bike shop owned.
how do you know what size frame your buying? Don’t you want to buy the correct size? Maybe send an email to Bridgestone

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.