Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How long does it take to get bike fit?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How long does it take to get bike fit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-21, 06:40 PM
itsnevertoolate

Bikes: 2008 OCR 1; 2012 Giant Defy Advanced 2; 2014 Giant Propel Advanced SL1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
How are your estimating your MHR? Reaching it quickly suggests to me that you are using the incorrect old wives' tale 220 - age method. That formula has been thoroughly debunked as irrelevant to older folks and vastly underestimates true MHR. There are a number of different methods for properly determining MHR. Probably the most common and easiest to implement reliable method is to do an on-the-bike test (with an HR monitor) where after warming up you ride up a moderate incline, progressively increasing your speed and energy output (and HR) at approximately 1 minute intervals until you become completely unable to increase further. Your highest measured HR should be at or slightly below your MHR. The problem with using the 220 - age formula and thereby underestimating MHR is that when basing your zones on that number you aren't riding hard enough and therefore won't receive the benefits of a proper training regimen.
I used a heart rate monitor and rode up a relatively steep incline. One, I might add, I could not complete until after I had ridden for awhile. While still difficult, I can now ride to the top without tremendous effort... After a few attempts I determined my average MHR was 189. It is now 181.

Good luck...