Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Speedplay Pedals

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Speedplay Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-21, 07:32 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
New Speedplay Pedals

Looks like Wahoo released details on its new Speedplay pedal line.

https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices...all#seciton-63

Glad to see hex bolts for installing cleats over the previous Phillips screws. I don't see details on backward compatibility though.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 03-16-21, 08:33 AM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Installing with the phillips screw? What? You install with a standard pedal wrench. The phillips screw was access to the grease port.

Originally Posted by topflightpro

Glad to see hex bolts for installing cleats over the previous Phillips screws. I don't see details on backward compatibility though.
Old 03-16-21, 08:36 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluechip
Installing with the phillips screw? What? You install with a standard pedal wrench. The phillips screw was access to the grease port.
Looks like I misread that. I thought they were replacing the Phillips screws used on the cleats with hex screws. That is not the case. They are putting a hex pattern on the spindle for install of the pedal.

And per BikeRumor, the old Zero cleats and pedals are compatible with the new stuff.
Old 03-16-21, 09:02 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro

In our marketing memos they specifically call out that all cleats are backwards compatible with existing Zero pedals.

Old 03-16-21, 09:24 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Odds on whether the spindles will still be user-replaceable? Actually not clear, are eg. the Zeros identical to what has been sold and is still on the shelves at retailers, or is there some sort of redesign that occurred?
Old 03-16-21, 09:42 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Odds on whether the spindles will still be user-replaceable? Actually not clear, are eg. the Zeros identical to what has been sold and is still on the shelves at retailers, or is there some sort of redesign that occurred?
I don't think that it's really a matter of being user-replaceable - anything this simple is user-replaceable with common tools and the right parts. The more relevant question is whether Wahoo will let third party parts exist in the marketplace. To that end, Wahoo have made a point of saying that they'd be far less litigious than Speedplay, which had a reputation as being one of the worst out in the industry.
Old 03-16-21, 09:52 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I don't think that it's really a matter of being user-replaceable - anything this simple is user-replaceable with common tools and the right parts. The more relevant question is whether Wahoo will let third party parts exist in the marketplace. To that end, Wahoo have made a point of saying that they'd be far less litigious than Speedplay, which had a reputation as being one of the worst out in the industry.
Agree it should be simple. Though I suppose if they put their minds to it, they could figure out a way that you can no longer turn the ChromMoly pedal into the Ti version ($300 MSRP difference) by getting some ebay J&L spindles for $35. For whatever reason, Speedplay hadn't been going after those sellers AFAIK for a while -- they've been very easy to get. Of note as well, I don't see yet, Wahoo themselves selling any other length spindled pedals, or the spindles themselves (which speedplay used to do). Nor so far any rebuild kits. Could be they're just getting started I suppose.
Old 03-16-21, 10:13 AM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 41 Posts
...Of note as well, I don't see yet, Wahoo themselves selling any other length spindled pedals, or the spindles themselves (which speedplay used to do)...
According to the table in this article, additional spindle lengths will be available for the Zeros.
Old 03-16-21, 10:14 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Of note as well, I don't see yet, Wahoo themselves selling any other length spindled pedals, or the spindles themselves (which speedplay used to do).
DC Rainmaker has an article out today that says one model does have different spindle lengths (there's a bit about it in comments section).
Old 03-16-21, 10:25 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

There will be spindle lengths available but not at this time. Roughly same timing as the power pedal.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 03-16-21, 10:33 AM
Hapsmo911

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
There will be spindle lengths available but not at this time. Roughly same timing as the power pedal.
i assume the spindles wont be backwards compatible as the bearings are new?
Old 03-16-21, 10:42 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Hapsmo911
That's a good question. The other being whether the additional spindle lengths are only available built in (by factory?) as part of the pedal, or if just the spindles would be sold.
Old 03-16-21, 04:23 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
In our marketing memos they specifically call out that all cleats are backwards compatible with existing Zero pedals.
How about for Ultralight Action pedals and cleats? Speedplay previously said that these were not cross compatible with its Zero product line. If not, would Speedplay keep suppling Ultralight Action cleats and other replacement components?
Old 03-17-21, 09:41 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by Hapsmo911
I don't know for a fact but I believe that would be a safe assumption.

Old 03-17-21, 09:43 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
How about for Ultralight Action pedals and cleats? Speedplay previously said that these were not cross compatible with its Zero product line. If not, would Speedplay keep suppling Ultralight Action cleats and other replacement components?
The old pedals and cleats weren't cross compatible. Everything new works on old Zero's. Therefore the Ultralight action stuff - I would feel safe in assuming - is dead. If you want to ride light action you would need the new light action cleat which is compatible with all current line and old Zero pedals.

Don't take it personally - they finally killed off completely the X series, Frogs, Syzr, etc (whatever they were running), and ultralights. This is their way forward. It is what it is.

Old 03-18-21, 03:23 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Psimet2001 Great info! As a long time speedplay user backward compatibility was my biggest question & I had not seen that addressed anywhere else. I have a lot of Zeros/Cleats/Parts. That said I like the pedal redesign. Should be much less prone to wear on the sides of the pedal body. Will be interesting to see if Wahoo also resurrects the cleat extender base plate kit.
Old 03-18-21, 05:38 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
I bought Speedplay X pedals in 1991, mostly because the plastic cleats in look/Shimano pedals would release unintentionally, particularly if you let the cleat wear a bit. Stayed with them because the ease of clipping in and cornering angle was great for crits.

30 years later I still have several pairs. They’ve run their useful life, RIP.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-19-21, 04:24 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
I read that their pedal/PM will cost around $1,000. I'm not interested in spending $1,000 to find out I have no power.
Old 03-19-21, 08:28 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I bought Speedplay X pedals in 1991, mostly because the plastic cleats in look/Shimano pedals would release unintentionally, particularly if you let the cleat wear a bit. Stayed with them because the ease of clipping in and cornering angle was great for crits.

30 years later I still have several pairs. They’ve run their useful life, RIP.
Me too. It took quite a while, the better part of a decade, for me to convert all my bikes from X to zeros.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-03-21, 03:11 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Happened to only now just notice: The "Comp" vs "Zero" (aka CroMo vs SS) weight difference is only 10g for the pair (5g per pedal), but $80 difference. Aside from this, is there any likely other functional or durability difference expected? Are the CroMo (ie. Comp) versions more susceptible to rust?

Thought I remembered a much larger weight difference difference, but maybe it was in the X series X2 vs X3 ?
Old 04-05-21, 09:14 AM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Happened to only now just notice: The "Comp" vs "Zero" (aka CroMo vs SS) weight difference is only 10g for the pair (5g per pedal), but $80 difference.
It was 5g per pedal before as well.
Aside from this, is there any likely other functional or durability difference expected? Are the CroMo (ie. Comp) versions more susceptible to rust?
Yes.
Thought I remembered a much larger weight difference difference, but maybe it was in the X series X2 vs X3 ?
It looks like X5 was 11g heavier per pedal than X2.
Old 04-05-21, 09:28 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by cuevélo
It was 5g per pedal before as well.

Yes.

It looks like X5 was 11g heavier per pedal than X2.
Thanks for the rundown. So the CroMo is just the spindle though? Pedal portion and internals are all the same?
X series also had a different construction between the X5 and X2 (for whatever reason.. so the 3rd party replacement spindles for an X2 couldn't be used on an X5). That was a strong reason to pay more for the X2 IMO. Not so for the Zeros.. I think the same spindles/replacements could be used. Unsure what Wahoo did in their redesigns though.
Old 04-05-21, 09:37 AM
cuevélo

Thanks for the rundown. So the CroMo is just the spindle though? Pedal portion and internals are all the same?
X series also had a different construction between the X5 and X2 (for whatever reason.. so the 3rd party replacement spindles for an X2 couldn't be used on an X5). That was a strong reason to pay more for the X2 IMO. Not so for the Zeros.. I think the same spindles/replacements could be used. Unsure what Wahoo did in their redesigns though.
Yeah, the X series had different bearings between X1/X2 and X5.

Given the simplification of the line, I would assume that all of the new Zeros have the same pedal body and bearing dimensions, but I haven't seen any information about it. I think that the biggest reason for the stainless spindle is because they're pretty, and more resistant to bearing damage if you occasionally ride in the wet. Maybe with the new seals the second benefit is no longer real.

Edit: and here's the link to the X series weights I meant to post before.