Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cleat won't go back far enough

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-21, 03:55 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I just switched to SPD-SL cleats/3 hole shoes vs. SPD/2hole shoes. I like the setup, but seems there is a lot less ability to move the cleats on these. My shoes fit properly, but one foot is slightly different size than the other so I can't get the cleat on my left foot far enough back. Does anyone else have this issue? What is the best approach? Thanks!
Old 03-26-21, 05:19 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Drill or Dremel.
Old 03-26-21, 06:03 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10151 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Have this problem too, on a very expensive and warm set of winter boots. Anyone got the specs or a source for threaded inserts?
Old 03-26-21, 06:29 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Have this problem too, on a very expensive and warm set of winter boots. Anyone got the specs or a source for threaded inserts?
For three-bolt? I know that Specialized has them available for their shoes, I've bought them in the past, but they do have an odd flange shape that needs to be counter-sunk -

Other manufacturers might have them available with a more accommodating shape.
Old 03-26-21, 06:42 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by WhyFi
For three-bolt? I know that Specialized has them available for their shoes, I've bought them in the past, but they do have an odd flange shape that needs to be counter-sunk -

Other manufacturers might have them available with a more accommodating shape.
Looks a little awkward, but would give more surface for adhesive. Would also be an excuse to acquire a Dremel, finally, at age Medicare, but I'm trying to slow down on the merchandise to ease the final burdens on my heirs and assigns.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-26-21, 06:44 AM
WhyFi

Looks a little awkward, but would give more surface for adhesive. Would also be an excuse to acquire a Dremel, finally, at age Medicare, but I'm trying to slow down on the merchandise to ease the final burdens on my heirs and assigns.
Keep in mind that these are intended to be countersunk on the inside of the shoe, so in getting a Dremel in there could be a challenge. I suppose that they could be splayed open, but it would require some creative work-holding.

Edit: Oh, and FWIW, Spec didn't use any adhesive - the countersunk bits just keep the nut from spinning while being tightened and the liner keeps them in place when not secured with a cleat.

Last edited by WhyFi; 03-26-21 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-26-21, 06:48 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Keep in mind that these are intended to be countersunk on the inside of the shoe, so in getting a Dremel in there could be a challenge. I suppose that they could be splayed open, but it would require some creative work-holding.

Edit: Oh, and FWIW, Spec didn't use any adhesive - the countersunk bits just keep the nut from spinning while being tightened and the liner keeps them in place when not secured with a cleat.
Well, then **** that for a game of soldiers.

How did you countersink them or did you use existing holes?

Last edited by MoAlpha; 03-26-21 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-26-21, 06:54 AM
WhyFi

Well, then **** that for a game of soldiers.

How did you countersink them?
I didn't change cleat position, I was simply replacing some that had been corroded, so they sat in the factory drilled holes.
Old 03-26-21, 07:13 AM
WhyFi

How did you countersink them ...?
Thinking about it a little more, Dremel does have a locking depth stop, but you'd still need a way of patterning/transferring the shape of the t-nut... in woodworking, this would be done with a template being traced either by bearings mounted on the cutter shaft or with a concentric bushing... This might be a bit much to ask when working within the confines of a shoe.

I do wonder if you actually need that precise countersunk shape, though. Let's just say that you made a round countersink that would allow the t-nut to spin... you could use adhesives but it might even be fine without, you just need a finger on the t-nut to keep it from spinning until it's tight enough for friction to keep it in place. Hell, a bit of Gorilla/duct tape over the top of the nuts might be enough to keep them from spinning until they're tight enough...
Old 03-26-21, 07:31 AM
MoAlpha
• —

...you just need a finger on the t-nut to keep it from spinning until it's tight enough for friction to keep it in place. Hell, a bit of Gorilla/duct tape over the top of the nuts might be enough to keep them from spinning until they're tight enough...
Now you're operating at my level!
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-26-21, 09:13 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Switch to Speedplays and buy an extender kit: https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...base-plate-kit
Old 03-27-21, 12:05 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
There was a post about making a race bike an endurance bike here recently based on these extender plates that allowed you slide your cleats farther back. Might be worth looking at. Less risky than drilling holes in your shoes.