Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

KOOL STOP thinline brake pads

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-21, 04:45 AM
waddo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts

These are the pads I use on my LHT. They cost a fortune in Japan and I always have a problem knowing when it's time for a new set. I don't want to start scratching the rims but I don't want to throw them out before I have to. Anyone know how to determine the time to change?

Old 04-12-21, 06:24 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Two theories, the gaps in the pad contact areas help remove water, some replace when the entire pad contacts the rim because it has worn to the point that those gaps disappeared.

I keep using pads beyond that point, I replace when it looks like I am getting close to metal on metal contact.

Bike tours, I carry a spare set of pads (for one wheel, not both) so that if my pads look like I am getting close to metal on metal contact, I can deal with it immediately.

I replaced the pads below after I got home from a tour.

You can extend rim life by occasionally checking to make sure that your pads do not have any debris or bits of metal stuck in them.
Old 04-12-21, 06:51 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Do the KOOL STOP thinline brake pads have the friction material bonded to a flat surface or is there any metal extending into the pad? If the former you can monitor the wear visually pretty effectively, just be sure to look at all sides. If the latter there can be surprises.

I got burned with another brand that had the material bonded onto a metal piece that had a rib extending into the pad. I think they were the original shoes on the Tektro Oryx brakes that the bike came with, but I could be wrong. I wound up with metal on metal when it looked like there should be wear left. I was in the mountains, nowhere near a bike shop, and all four shoes failed almost simultaneously. I was reduced to walking the descents! I was lucky enough to have made friends with another group who had a pair of spare shoes that they gave me. They got me going with brakes on one wheel until I got to a bike rental place on the Virginia Creeper Trail where I bought some Avid brand brake shoes.
Old 04-12-21, 07:17 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I also replace brake pads before they get to metal-on-metal contact between the brake shoes and the rim. If the brakes are adjusted correctly, that's a long time after the contours are worn down on a Koolstop pad. (I drive my LBS mechanic nuts by how long I can run the same pads!)
Old 04-12-21, 01:01 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 98 Posts
I use the same insertable kool-stop v-brake pads on my touring and commuting bikes. At the start of long tours (multi week at least) I put new pads in and use the worn ones on the commuter if there’s enough of the pads left, of course, then wear them down as much as possible.

Multi month tours, I take spares with me.
Old 04-13-21, 08:45 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
I currently use Kool Stop pads and holders similar to the ones shown above. I'm planning to wear them down to the metal... Because I'll only scratch the rim once, and then I'll replace them. You can carry the pad inserts with you and do this on the side of the road if you have to.

Or, if you're sick of replacing pads frequently and have post-mount pads, there are thicker pads/holders available such as these: https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...e-brake-shoes/ IMO these are silly expensive ($116 for a bike's worth of pads and holders!!!) so there may not be a pay-back period compared to just using the thin pads. But it might be worth it, to you, avoiding the hassle of frequent replacement.