Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Miss matched tire question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-15, 01:20 PM
mburgess86

Bikes: 2014 surly cross check, 1986 Fuji esspree

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miss matched tire question

Right now on my Cross bike I'm running with a set 35 mm Kenda slant six. The rear tire is just about worn out I was thinking about a faster tire on the rear possibly a touring tire with good puncture resistance and low rolling resistance. I use this bike for commuting about 20 miles daily and I am planning on doing some long gravel rides this summer as well as touring in the future. Is this a good idea? please give me some recommendations on tires and sizes..
Old 04-30-15, 01:28 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
There's no issue about mixing front and rear tires, so feel free to buy the rear tire of your choice now, and replace the front tire with the same or other later on.

The only advantage of using the same tires front and rear is convenience. It lets you buy spares in advance without worrying about which wheel they're for. Another advantage is that if the front tire suffers some damage that makes it iffier, you can move it to the rear to kill it off. In gact many riders do exactly that, always mounting new tires up front, and moving the front tire to the back to die.

Sometimes there's an advantage to mixing tires, for example if riding off road, you might use a tire with tread made to optimize steering control up front, and a "pusher" tread in the back the way farm tractors are set up. There are other mixed combinations for specific conditions, so same, or mixed, it's all up to you.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.