Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chinarello build (dhgate)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chinarello build (dhgate)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-16, 03:17 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 366 Posts
^ but a modern steel frame is a dramatic technological advance from a 1916 steel bike in its own right.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-24-16, 05:00 PM
garysol1 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy
My point was that in 1992, Indurian won the TDF on a 22.7lb steel bike at 39.5 km/hr

In 2007, after CF frames, "Treks millions in R&D", etc... Contador rode a 15lb Madone to victory at 39.2 km/hr.
You do realize that the Tour's course, mileage and vertical feet climbed change every year so comparing Induran's speed and time to Contador is pointless.......
Old 03-24-16, 05:09 PM
dcsix

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubaix Comp SRAM Rival, 2008 LeMond Victoire Dura Ace, 1994 Santana Sovereign Tandem, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Shimano Deore, 1975 Raleigh Super Course Mark II

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by garysol1
You do realize that the Tour's course, mileage and vertical feet climbed change every year so comparing Induran's speed and time to Contador is pointless.......
Not a direct comparison, sure, but that little factoid is far from pointless imho.
Old 03-24-16, 05:51 PM
garysol1 

Originally Posted by dcsix
Not a direct comparison, sure, but that little factoid is far from pointless imho.
So many variables..... and I have no dog in this fight. I love old school steel bikes and I dig my carbon bikes but the comparison is pointless without more data. Was there a team time trial? I could see one or two extra climbing days dramatically affecting the overall speed......etc...... I do agree that apples to apples a old school race bike vs a newer bike there will not be a huge time difference but none of us are racing the Tour. What we want are safer bikes (STI VS Downtube) we want better shifting bikes, we want better stopping bikes, we want more compliance....etc.... These are all things that modern technology has given us.
Old 03-24-16, 07:22 PM
espi-JG
I see you over there

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly2High
Hopefully everyone has gotten it out of their system that the OP built a Chinese framed bike. Let's get back to the topic of the bike and not where the frame is from and the moral and legal implications of that. Shall we?

So how does it ride?

How did you determine the size and whether that bike would be a good match for you? This is my biggest fear: selecting frame and either having it not fit or just not liking the characteristics when done. I just do not know enough to determine what to change to make it better.
Thanks for asking! It rides great. I've got about 110 miles on it so far and this thing flies. Brakes are strong and the transmission is flawless. Besides the weight, I'm not sure why people hate on 105, I love the group. So this is the third bike I've bought online so I have my sizing figured out (hence the integrated bars and stem length). I also ride a Cinelli Vigorelli and the geometries are incredibly similar so I knew I'd like the characteristics of the Chinarello.

Originally Posted by Fly2High
OP, congrats on you bike. Post a photo or two when you can and continue to report on it now and in the future. This is the only way we can learn of its quality and performance.
nds fail
Old 03-24-16, 07:26 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by espi-JG
Thanks for asking! It rides great. I've got about 110 miles on it so far and this thing flies. Brakes are strong and the transmission is flawless. Besides the weight, I'm not sure why people hate on 105, I love the group. So this is the third bike I've bought online so I have my sizing figured out (hence the integrated bars and stem length). I also ride a Cinelli Vigorelli and the geometries are incredibly similar so I knew I'd like the characteristics of the Chinarello.

nds fail
Who hates on 105?
Old 03-24-16, 07:32 PM
noodle soup

a better comparison would be the hour record. That record time keeps droping.
Old 03-24-16, 08:02 PM
garysol1 

Originally Posted by noodle soup
a better comparison would be the hour record. That record time keeps droping.
Agreed. What do we think contributes to that? Better training or better bikes and gear....
Old 03-24-16, 08:07 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Agreed. What do we think contributes to that? Better training or better bikes and gear....
The bike design is restricted to make the numbers comparable.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 03-24-16, 08:08 PM
noodle soup

IMO, both. Diet and training science have improved greatly over the past 30 years, but so have the bikes(and aerodynamics).
Old 03-24-16, 09:04 PM
garysol1 

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
The bike design is restricted to make the numbers comparable.
within reason that's true but don't you think wind tunnel testing has helped to fine tune the frames and other components as well as helmets and skin suits to help make the times faster year after year? I really don't know.... just throwing that out there.
Old 03-25-16, 10:05 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
UCI.

And Specialized's "response". The FUCI bike (warning: slight nsfw ) ?Eff You See Eye? | Very Special Things
Old 03-25-16, 10:10 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by mpath
UCI.

And Specialized's "response". The FUCI bike (warning: slight nsfw ) ?Eff You See Eye? | Very Special Things
Specialized's response is a impractical, ugly, bastardized moped.

THAT WILL SHOW the UCI. What an idiot at Specialized.
Old 04-05-16, 03:24 PM
garysol1 

Originally Posted by myllertime
Screw the haters.. I took the challenge to build a Chinese frame bike with "fake" stickers on it. <snip> BTW if youre going to talk smack because its a fake, you're wasting your time because I dont give a crap and I dont go around telling people its a pinarello because obviously its not. I had a decent bike but i wanted to take a challenge on a cheap frame and learn more about bike building.
Well actually yes you are telling people it's Pinarello by using the stickers on your Chinese frame. Your telling everyone without ever opening your mouth.
Old 04-05-16, 03:36 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

OP, the worst part is that most unbranded choices would have come with a better warranty, sported a better reputation, and been an honest representation of what they are. If you really weren't trying to fool folks, you could have accomplished all your goals with a Hong-fu, Deng-fu or Workswell frame. Taken the challenge and learned how to build a bike without the obvious lie.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 04-05-16, 03:54 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm thinking about building up a Fecalized, or Gi-Aint, or a Trik. I wish the Chinese would start offering retro steel frames though- then I could build me a Colnegro or Pewgit!
Old 04-05-16, 04:27 PM
garysol1 

ok, lets say everyone is "telling" its a pinarello.. who gives a crap what others do. go live and judge your own life. If you dont like it, move on to another thread that you might like. Hater! people can think whatever they want, but when they ask, i tell the truth because i love that i got something so cheap and it performs better than "branded" stuff.

LoL..... Wow.... For not giving a crap you sure seem to give a crap. You may want to reread my reply before you go calling me a hater. I dont believe I said anything negative about your bike. Ride it, love it and enjoy it but i will call a spade a spade. There are hundreds of chinese open mold frames out there but you chose the one with PINARELLO boldly stickered on the downtube and there is only one reason to do that and that is to make people think that you are riding a "fancier" bike then you are. You sir do give a crap what people think.
Old 04-05-16, 04:56 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

LoL..... Wow.... For not giving a crap you sure seem to give a crap. You may want to reread my reply before you go calling me a hater. I dont believe I said anything negative about your bike. Ride it, love it and enjoy it but i will call a spade a spade. There are hundreds of chinese open mold frames out there but you chose the one with PINARELLO boldly stickered on the downtube and there is only one reason to do that and that is to make people think that you are riding a "fancier" bike then you are. You sir do give a crap what people think.
+1. What he doesn't give a crap about is the integrity of intellectual property rights.
Old 04-05-16, 04:58 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
OP, the worst part is that most unbranded choices would have come with a better warranty, sported a better reputation, and been an honest representation of what they are. If you really weren't trying to fool folks, you could have accomplished all your goals with a Hong-fu, Deng-fu or Workswell frame. Taken the challenge and learned how to build a bike without the obvious lie.
The irony of it is he does care that it's not a Hong-fu, Deng-fu (or a myriad of relatively good Chinese frames for the price). I mean, who wants to be seen riding that crap, right, when you can be seen on a Pinarello, fake or not.
Old 04-05-16, 05:03 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
ok, lets say everyone is "telling" its a pinarello.. who gives a crap what others do. go live and judge your own life. If you dont like it, move on to another thread that you might like. Hater! people can think whatever they want, but when they ask, i tell the truth because i love that i got something so cheap and it performs better than "branded" stuff.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-05-16, 06:47 PM
Darth Steele

Bikes: 2013 SuperSix Ultegra

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by espi-JG
This is my first road bike and decided to share my experiences with a full Chinese carbon build. I'm not encouraging or discouraging anyone to buy chinese, just letting you know how everything went for me. I know this route isn't for everyone, but I wanted an inexpensive and cool looking bike for my first experience with road biking. I've been riding brakeless fixed gear bikes for the last 6 years and always felt limited on longer rides. The frame is a Dogma F8 replica from dhgate, $534 shipped. The frameset arrived in 2 weeks to the usa, but showed up with some issues:
1-the rear derailleur hanger was bent (easily replaced)
2-the bolt holding the saddle to the seatpost was cracked (also easily replaced)
3-the first bb thread wasn't quite right, so we had to re-thread the bb shell
Yeah, the quality control sucks but the issues all got resolved in 1 day and the bike rides perfect now. Here are the build specs:

57.5cm full carbon frame
full carbon fork
full Shimano 105 groupset 11 speed 50/34 chainrings
Chinese carbon 20/24 wheels novatec hubs
swiss stop black prince pads
Continental gp4000IIs 23c
Chinese carbon integrated bars (I know)
lizard skins dsp 3.2 bar tape
fizik arione replica (also dhgate, $26 shipped)
Total build cost came in just under $1400 and now I can leave my fixed at home on long rides. I don't have a point of reference to compare the ride to because this is my first road bike. Overall impressions: the ride is smooth as hell, the shifting is crisp and the aero tubes are noticeably aero (crosswinds). The bike feels light and fun to climb. The biggest disappointment is the saddle, which I expected. I'll be replacing it shortly. Disregard the steerer tube, I haven't gotten fitted yet.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Sweet looking ride.. enjoy, let us know how it rides

I would have gone with the Cervelo S5 or the Specialized Venge Vias... and I just might.. I am waiting for the disc brakes option
Old 04-06-16, 06:16 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Interesting thread .... eventually.

We all know what knock-offs are—I would imagine we all know about fake Rolexes,. fake Louis Vuitton luggage,. and the very broad and lucrative faux-designer handbag industry ... simply because these things are mentioned in the various media (from news to “news” to sit-coms) so frequently... and for those few who knew nothing of intellectual property rights, hopefully, now you do.

So ... bicycles.

I wouldn’t go the “fake” route for personal reasons, and while I am arrogant enough to think i am always right and everyone should see things my way ... I am generous enough to let others make their own choices (so I can scorn them later. )

I like reading reports about folks buying fake bikes, because it is Information. I can recall when people crapped all over everyone buying Workswell ... now they are accepted as a legitimate lower-cost option. I understand that the knock-offs may be more hit-or-miss in terms of quality control ... but as more people report in about their builds and their rides, we can get Real-World data about how these things perform.

Yeah, I read the article about the knock-off frame with the voids and all ... but I am cynical enough to think that that too, could have been rigged. if I wanted to do what was essentially a scare-story to advertise my brand, I would deliberately buy the cheapest, worst, least reputable frame I could find ... I would even buy six or eight and only report on the worst one. Is that what actually happened? I have no clue ... but that article was PR, advertising, not just a warning to protect riders.

What I got from this thread is that at least a couple folks bought Chinarello Dog-piles and think they are good enough bikes for their (non-racing) purposes ... and that is real data. I also learned that while QC might not be first-rate, warranty service was. That is important.

I would like to hear more about people who ride these frames, and hopefully from people with a lot of miles on them.

To me it makes sense that if these frames are still on the market, not a lot of people must have died riding them, because if they were Really dangerous, the bike community would share that news (even more widely than it shares the apparently baseless hysteria it shares now.)

I figure what we have here are sort of the bike version of fake Gucci handbags ... as long as all the owner does is carry make-up and a wallet, it works fine. Maybe these frames wouldn’t hold up through many seasons of crit racing (or maybe they would) but in any case, they are good enough for most riders.

Come on ... the mis-assembled crap sold at Wal-Mart has got to be more dangerous than most knock-offs, and nobody panics when parents by (literally) the millions buy them for their kids (I don’t like children either, so we are all good with that.)

Look, if people want to debate the morality of buying knock-offs ... there are a lot of issues there, but I am not seeing where Pinarello is about to declare bankruptcy. We don’t really need to debate that.

Equally, we don’t really need to debate the personal taste issues ... trust me, I could write pages about the self-satisfied, anal-retentive, OCD riders who seriously believe that the labels have to face a certain way on their wheels ... and everybody else’s. Some folks want to wear the high-end labels ... to me, if it is on a real product or a knock-off ... not a good reason to make the purchase, but that is just me. You can do whatever, and live your own life however. if it works for you and doesn’t hurt anyone else much .... Ride what you like and paint it how it pleases you.

Back to bikes again ... let’s listen to what these people say. Let’s get real-world data from actual experiments, and form Valid opinions. How about that for a shocking departure from the norm?
Old 04-06-16, 11:36 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
..............this is data...........
I have to agree, Maalox. I think that threads like this are great, in that they convey real-life experience from regular people who do not have a vested interest in the mainstream product(s). Even in the age of the interwebz, so much "information" [propaganda] we are exposed to is biased marketing, and stuff designed to elicit a psychological reaction. Being able to get real feedback from the pioneers who buy and ride these alternatives is of much more value than 1000 pages of glossy ads, or some biased "test" conducted by a magazine or other group which depends on the major bike manufacturers for it's support.

I just hope that people like the OP and Rpennmanparker keep us updated over time, so that we can see how the various frames hold-up.

Seems to me that the big brands are already having trouble "proving" their superiority, and they are goi9ng to have to face the facts and lower their prices thanks to the competition of open-mold and knock-off bikes. I believe that they are starting to do this already, as I recall reading something about price reductions for the 2016 model year.
Old 04-06-16, 11:49 AM
rpenmanparker 

The difference, IMO, between unbranded and knock-off frames is not just quality control. That would suggest that both makers were trying to build a top quality frame, but the unbranded frame just got more rigorous QC and QA. I think the intent of the two makers is different, not just the QC and QA. Workswell is trying to build a good frame. Chinarello is just trying to make a fake and the quality of the product is of no interest. Only the appearance matters. Once again, IMO.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 04-06-16, 11:57 AM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The plural of anecdote is not data.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.