Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Chainring Help

Old 09-04-18, 06:39 PM
Files

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chainring Help

So I replaced my chain today because it was worn out. But I noticed that the chain is loose at some parts and tight at others of the chainring. I recently got a new wheelset and cog so the chain and cog are new so does that mean the chainring is the part needing to be replaced?
Old 09-04-18, 06:57 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3556 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 1,899 Posts
Originally Posted by Files
I noticed that the chain is loose at some parts and tight at others of the chainring. I recently got a new wheelset and cog so the chain and cog are new so does that mean the chainring is the part needing to be replaced?
Either the chainring isn't perfectly round or the mounting places on the crank aren't perfectly co-axial with the bottom bracket. Sometimes you can minimize this by changing how the ring mounts on the crank spider (see the section on "Centering chainrings" in this article: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/no-derailers.html). You might not be able to get it perfect, but some amount of off-centeredness is seldom a problem unless it is so severe it allows the chain to derail.
Old 09-05-18, 07:57 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
So you replaced the chain and rear cog but not the chainring, correct? If I understand what you’re saying, common sense would dictate that your cog isn’t round. I would check that first, by swapping my rear cog out for an old one and then checking it. Because if you didn’t change your chainring and you didn’t have this problem before then it couldn’t be the chainring causing the issue.
Old 09-05-18, 08:16 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Very common, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can try chasing the problem and installing a different cog, chainring, or even the crankset; any of those being off just a little will cause it. Or you can just set the chain tension at the tightest point and you're gtg. It won't cause any problems long as you're not dropping the chain as John already stated.
Old 09-05-18, 10:43 AM
CBee

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve been looking everywhere for one of these aarn chainrings. Anybody have a line on one?
Old 09-05-18, 12:07 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Good luck. You can get on the email list at 44rn.com but they don't restock them very often, and when I'd finally get a notice they were sold out before I could order. Recently picked up a used B&W camo edition in good condition from someone on the pedalroom marketplace. They pop up there from time to time so that's probably you're best bet. The bike I originally wanted to use a black Aarn chainring on I ended up just getting a Lattice instead, it's similar and pretty nice too (they also come in silver).

Old 09-05-18, 12:58 PM
CBee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
Good luck. You can get on the email list at 44rn.com but they don't restock them very often, and when I'd finally get a notice they were sold out before I could order. Recently picked up a used B&W camo edition in good condition from someone on the pedalroom marketplace. They pop up there from time to time so that's probably you're best bet. The bike I originally wanted to use a black Aarn chainring on I ended up just getting a Lattice instead, it's similar and pretty nice too (they also come in silver).
The elusive aarn... Guess I shouldn’t get my hopes up.
Old 09-05-18, 01:04 PM
CBee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anybody ride one of these? I kinda like the old school box look of it.
Old 09-05-18, 03:05 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Originally Posted by CBee
Anybody ride one of these? I kinda like the old school box look of it.
I’ve ridden the 3/32” 130bcd version
Old 09-05-18, 03:09 PM
CBee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis
I’ve ridden the 3/32” 130bcd version
Looks good. What did you think of it?
Old 09-05-18, 03:43 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Originally Posted by CBee

Looks good. What did you think of it?
I replaced it with a larger ring. (The one pictured is 55) it’s a good ring overall. I actually quite like the ‘W cut’ teeth profile. Felt quite stiff and performed fine. Nothing special about it i suppose but a solid choice if it’s your style, and as a bonus can pretty regularly be found relatively cheaply, NOS on eBay. One thing I did notice though, is that the forging wasn’t as good as the later ‘SG’ type rings like those on 74XX series. You could see it on the side/edges of the ring as a rather rough surface. But in fairness that was typical of a lot of 70s era chainrings, as I’ve had plenty of old campy rings that looked the same. Less refined is how I think I’d describe it.