Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do You Worry About Your Heart?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Do You Worry About Your Heart?

Old 10-25-19, 10:22 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Statistically, more of us will succumb to heart disease than any other cause. We can try to mitigate the odds with our diet and behavior but we can't control genetics.
I smoked those damn cigarettes for 20 years and drank myself into an ulcer and have never had any control of my diet yet I think I'm ok for now. I think if there are no underlying heart issues than it's ok to push one's body which is why I still do the rides I do. I don't see the point of worrying about it, I worry more about getting flattened by some moron who's texting while driving.
Old 10-25-19, 10:38 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,740 Posts
A few warning signs to watch out for while riding:
  • feeling light-headed, dizzy, or fainting
  • very fast racing heart beat
  • chest pain or tightness
These are signs that something could be very wrong with your heart. Get it checked out.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 10-25-19, 10:58 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
will go back and read the responses but to answer the OP, yes I think about quite a bit and even slow down sometimes (57)
Old 10-25-19, 11:01 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
A pretty definitive summing up is here.

The best thing you can do is stay in shape.

Oh, and to answer the question, no. I worry about getting smashed by a motor vehicle operator.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 10-25-19, 12:05 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

I just finished a book entitled The Haywire Heart - How Too much exercise can kill you, and what you can do to protect your heart.

It's written by athlete cardiologists and Lennard Zinn, who many may know from his books and technical articles on cycling.

It has lots of actionable information for the masters athlete.

If you're a cyclist with concerns about your cardio health, I highly recommend getting a copy. It's available from velopress.

Here's a review of the book from cardiologist and athlete Larry Creswell, MD.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 10-25-19, 12:29 PM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Why would you assume that?
Rightly or wrongly, I believe that given enough time, any organ will just wear out and stop functioning. Even a Toyota can wear out after 500,000 miles.
Old 10-25-19, 12:40 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Nope. Everyone in my family dies of cancer. Our hearts are strong.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 10-25-19, 12:45 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Sometimes I wonder if and when my mechanical heart valve will need to be replaced. That would suck.
Is it Ti?

If so, you don't have to worry.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 10-25-19, 12:48 PM
big john

Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
Nope. Everyone in my family dies of cancer. Our hearts are strong.
A doctor asked if there was a history of heart disease in my family. I told him all the men in my family die from cancer long before they are old enough for heart disease. He was not amused.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-25-19, 12:52 PM
big john

Originally Posted by GeezyRider
Rightly or wrongly, I believe that given enough time, any organ will just wear out and stop functioning. Even a Toyota can wear out after 500,000 miles.
I think a well worked, strong heart will outlast a sedentary heart regardless of how many beats those hearts have had.
Stop changing the oil on your Toyota and it won't last as long as one which had proper maintenance.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-25-19, 12:56 PM
GeezyRider 

I think a well worked, strong heart will outlast a sedentary heart regardless of how many beats those hearts have had.
Stop changing the oil on your Toyota and it won't last as long as one which had proper maintenance.
Absolutely!!
Old 10-25-19, 01:06 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Assuming the human heart can only beat so many times over a lifetime, it is probably a really bad idea to increase heart rate. Oh to hell with it, I'm still gonna ride.
I'm not sure I would assume that, but let's say for argument's sake that it's true.

We also know that raising heart rate for a short time through exercise results in a lower resting heart rate the remainder of the time. So let's compare two hearts: one belonging to a non-exerciser who's resting heart rate is 80bpm. (Higher end of normal range per Mayo Clinic) And one heart belonging to an athlete who works out and for 1 hour a day raises his heart rate to 160bpm, but as a result of this exercise, his resting HR is 60bpm. So, how many beats per day?

Non-exerciser: 80bpm x 60s/hr x 24hr/day = 115,200 beats per day
Exerciser: (160bpm x 60s/hr x 1hr of exercise) + (60bpm x 60s/hr x 23hr of rest) = 92,400 beats per day

Just a rough example, but something to think about.
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-25-19, 01:12 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
A doctor asked if there was a history of heart disease in my family. I told him all the men in my family die from cancer long before they are old enough for heart disease. He was not amused.
Mine wasn't amused either. Then he glanced at the history I had provided and he was concerned. But I'm 52. Most of us don't see 40, so I guess I'm doing ok.

You know it's bad when the head of cancer genetics at Dana Farber Cancer Institute has your family on her personal Christmas card list.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 10-25-19, 01:13 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
If you're concerned about it, check with your doctor, especially if you have a personal or family history of heart problems. Otherwise, let your body be your guide.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-25-19, 01:30 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I just finished a book entitled The Haywire Heart - How Too much exercise can kill you, and what you can do to protect your heart.

It's written by athlete cardiologists and Lennard Zinn, who many may know from his books and technical articles on cycling.

It has lots of actionable information for the masters athlete.

If you're a cyclist with concerns about your cardio health, I highly recommend getting a copy. It's available from velopress.

Here's a review of the book from cardiologist and athlete Larry Creswell, MD.
The issue of exercise-related arrhythmias relates more to the faster end of the spectrum than to your average weekend duffer, who is far more likely to buy it from a coronary thrombosis, to wit, a plumbing, rather than an electrical, problem. So, there's a bit of an apples and oranges issue, which extends to the approach one might take to evaluating or mitigating risk.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 10-25-19, 01:34 PM
tourisme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Those in this thread with diagnosed arrythmias or coronary artery disease have reason to be careful in one way or another. The rest of us should not worry about going too hard, because we're probably not going hard enough.

I can't be bothered to look up and link the references, but you can google for them. There is decent evidence that brief periods of intense activity produces better health benefits for the elderly in terms of various metabolic markers, VO2 max etc than does extended moderate activity. And by intense activity I mean maxing out, going as hard as you can, for a minute or two at a time. And the evidence relating to increased incidence of arrythmias among endurance athletes appears to be related not to maximal efforts, but to going hardish - around threshold - for very long periods: we're talking ironman, pro cyclists, multiple marathons, that sort of thing.

It's likely that the best thing you can do for your heart health is to go steady most of the time but make sure you go very hard indeed for a few minutes a couple of times a week. A nice couple of hours ride at recovery pace with a sprint up a decent hill in the middle of it is probably ideal. For the record, I'm 65 and regularly see an HR in the 170s.
Likes For tourisme:
Old 10-25-19, 01:38 PM
GeezyRider 

Originally Posted by caloso
I'm not sure I would assume that, but let's say for argument's sake that it's true.

We also know that raising heart rate for a short time through exercise results in a lower resting heart rate the remainder of the time. So let's compare two hearts: one belonging to a non-exerciser who's resting heart rate is 80bpm. (Higher end of normal range per Mayo Clinic) And one heart belonging to an athlete who works out and for 1 hour a day raises his heart rate to 160bpm, but as a result of this exercise, his resting HR is 60bpm. So, how many beats per day?

Non-exerciser: 80bpm x 60s/hr x 24hr/day = 115,200 beats per day
Exerciser: (160bpm x 60s/hr x 1hr of exercise) + (60bpm x 60s/hr x 23hr of rest) = 92,400 beats per day

Just a rough example, but something to think about.
You and Big John both make perfectly good sense. I was just making an awkward attempt at injecting a little humor into the subject which was probably inappropriate. For that, I apologize.
Old 10-25-19, 03:23 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I'm nearly 59, vegetarian since 2010 (iirc), eat organic when possible and bike 40+ miles most weeks... pushing the hills for what I'm worth!

Got a bike late 2013 as a hyper tensive clyde... no longer....

Taking good-ish to best care of myself... no worries....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 10-25-19, 03:37 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 562 Posts
You and Big John both make perfectly good sense. I was just making an awkward attempt at injecting a little humor into the subject which was probably inappropriate. For that, I apologize.
Aw geez ... it was a popular internet meme some time ago. Supposedly a quote from a doctor.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 10-25-19, 03:45 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
Mine wasn't amused either. Then he glanced at the history I had provided and he was concerned. But I'm 52. Most of us don't see 40, so I guess I'm doing ok.

You know it's bad when the head of cancer genetics at Dana Farber Cancer Institute has your family on her personal Christmas card list.
That's some funny gallows humor there.

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
If you're concerned about it, check with your doctor, especially if you have a personal or family history of heart problems. Otherwise, let your body be your guide.
I know people who's blood work was normal or better, who ended up having significant arteriosclerosis. And also those who had horrible bloodwork, and no blockages at all.

I really do recommend asking your doc about having a scan to assess the status of your cardiac arteries. Why guess based on bloodwork?

Old 10-25-19, 03:49 PM
big john

You don't need to apologize. It was a friendly exchange.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-25-19, 04:49 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
The issue of exercise-related arrhythmias relates more to the faster end of the spectrum than to your average weekend duffer, who is far more likely to buy it from a coronary thrombosis, to wit, a plumbing, rather than an electrical, problem. So, there's a bit of an apples and oranges issue, which extends to the approach one might take to evaluating or mitigating risk.
I would think the medical screening process is the same: Start with the basic risk factor screening, then move on to the next level if warranted.

I'm going through this currently, to rule out my PVCs being a symptom of something serious. Blood tests, check. ECG, check. Zio Patch, waiting for results. Stress test, pending. CT catheter, hope it doesn't have to go that far.

Old 10-25-19, 06:17 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
No.
Old 10-25-19, 06:31 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I think my heart does a good job of protecting itself, by causing me discomfort when it's stressed. My brain collaborates with my heart by throttling my desire for suffering. I'm just along for the ride, no pun intended.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-25-19, 06:35 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I think my heart does a good job of protecting itself, by causing me discomfort when it's stressed. My brain collaborates with my heart by throttling my desire for suffering. I'm just along for the ride, no pun intended.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.