Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Fit adjustment question

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Fit adjustment question

Old 09-12-20, 02:16 PM
SammyJ 

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Fit adjustment question

Rans Enduro sport.

Set is set so that I can lock my knee (clipless) but it does not lock when spinning.

If my knees impact the handlebars, then raise the handlebars?

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net
Old 09-12-20, 11:21 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Recumbent setup is just like DF setup except rotated backward. It wouldn't be considered good fitting if your knee could lock out on a DF. Same thing here. A common test for fit on DF is to pedal with your heels on the pedals. Try that with the recumbent. You should then not be able to lock your knees with your feet in the proper position (pedal axle under ball of foot). Yes, raise the handlebar if your knee hits it. You want to be able to see though. Some riders have to fudge this. I don't know what kind of recumbent you are working with (SWB, LWB, etc.) they all have different geometries.
Old 10-05-20, 07:21 AM
pm124
Car free since 1995

Bikes: M5 Carbon High Racer, Trek Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Recumbent setup is just like DF setup except rotated backward. It wouldn't be considered good fitting if your knee could lock out on a DF. Same thing here. A common test for fit on DF is to pedal with your heels on the pedals. Try that with the recumbent. You should then not be able to lock your knees with your feet in the proper position (pedal axle under ball of foot). Yes, raise the handlebar if your knee hits it. You want to be able to see though. Some riders have to fudge this. I don't know what kind of recumbent you are working with (SWB, LWB, etc.) they all have different geometries.

Except the good news is you don't need an expensive bike fit to be comfortable and go fast. All you need is the pedal adjustment and to get the seat angle as far back as you feel comfortable with.
But I think you may be both saying the same thing. Put center the pedal on your foot so that your leg is fully extended and straight when the pedals are straight ahead. Lock the set. Then, when you clip into the pedals, your knee will have a slight bend.

Some people but the cleat mid shoe. In that case, your knee should be slightly bent when your leg is fully extended.