Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Suggestions/advice for bringing bike cross country move

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-20, 02:22 PM
ka123

Bikes: ‘84 Nishiki Riviera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are moving back to California from the east coast somewhat unexpectedly and both of us bought bikes while out here and would like to bring them back with us. If it wasn’t COVID or last minute we would probably make a trip out of it and take Amtrak (not interested in our own road trip). We’ll be flying and not sure how that would work. Shipping sounds difficult and expensive. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 12-16-20, 02:30 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Easiest: Take both bikes to a good bike shop where they will pack and ship them for you. It'll cost you. Similar alternative is an outfit called Bikeflights; I've not used it, but someone who has will chime in, probably. (google it.)

Harder: Go to a bike shop, bum a couple of bike boxes (which is how new bikes arrive at a shop) and some of the padding that is used when the new bikes are shipped, pack 'em yourself and ship them via your preferred service.

Hardest: Ride your bikes to California. Then you can go to lunch on that story for years.
Old 12-16-20, 02:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Just do the harder route already mentioned if you want to pay less- ask for a couple of boxes from the store's stash. Some stores charge for the box, which is insane. I get em for free and they come with a bunch of plastic/cardboard/foam from the original bike's packing.
youtube how to pack a bike in a box and follow along. go to bikeflights.com, enter the dims, and go from there. WAG- $90 to ship a bike across the country in a standard sized bike box(no oversize).

Or have a shop to do all of the above and pay more for the convenience.
Old 12-16-20, 02:40 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I've shipped a few bikes and going to the bike shop you can ask them to save the box and packaging from new builds. Then you can find the cheapest shipping company.

You don't have to completely disassemble, just remove the front wheel, saddle/seat post and rotate the bars.

Old 12-16-20, 02:43 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
1) Go to local bike store and get a bike box for each bike.
2) Seach ‘how to pack a bicycle’ on YouTube. Buy some PVC pipe, pipe insulation foam and lots of bubble wrap. You’ll probably need some Allen wrenches to take off some parts. Follow instructions. Make sure inside of box is supported and can’t be crushed and bike can’t rattle around when you shake the box.
3) Call airline and ask what the rate is for bicycles or oversized sporting equipment. If you or your parents have an airline card or have a high frequent flyer status check to see if there are reduced or no fees. For example if you’re ‘elite’ status on American fees for sporting equipment are waived, $0, as long as it meets the size requirement. UPS or Fedex ground might also be reasonable alternatives, just check the rates.
Old 12-16-20, 02:47 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I know this is a longshot, but in these trying times, I would straight-up ask the airline. I'm assuming planes are still operating at limited capacity (meaning the cargo hold is half empty as well) so flying them boxed up as checked luggage might not be out of the question.

Personally, I would be much more likely to rent a vehicle and spend a week driving it cross-country before I would sit in a tube breathing recycled air for 5 hours. Grain of salt, I haven't been on a plane in nearly 20 years.
Old 12-16-20, 02:48 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Tell the airline they are your comfort animals.