Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New Prime wheel noise issue

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-21, 12:12 AM
Ridemehard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Bought a set of Prime blackedition 50mm disc wheelset from CRC website. I’m experiencing a clunking/clicking/pinging metal sound from the rear wheel. First I thought the hub was having engaging issues with the pawls from the grease so I changed the grease but that didn’t do anything. Now I think the sound coming from the rear wheel spokes when the bike is under load. The sound only seem to occurs when I’m accelerating hard on the pedal and when cornering while pedaling. The wheels are true. The spokes and nuts seem tight when checking by hand. I tried adding a drop of oil where the spokes cross one another but no luck.

I have tried swapping out the Prime wheel with my original Trek wheel twice and each time the sound only occurs with the Prime rear wheel.

Will wheel spokes flex/rubbing sound resolve itself after riding more miles?
Old 01-05-21, 08:57 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
The tube stem banging against the rim.
Old 01-05-21, 08:59 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,915 Posts
what psi are you putting in the tube? Check to make sure the big gear isn't too close to the spokes, same with the rear der cage/jockey & cable end.
Old 01-05-21, 09:14 AM
Ridemehard

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
The tube stem banging against the rim.
valve stem is tighten down with the nut
Old 01-05-21, 09:18 AM
Ridemehard

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Troul
what psi are you putting in the tube? Check to make sure the big gear isn't too close to the spokes, same with the rear der cage/jockey & cable end.
65psi. I’ll check the clearance with the spokes. Thanks
Old 01-05-21, 09:32 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Ridemehard
65psi. I’ll check the clearance with the spokes. Thanks
bump the psi up within 10 PSI of the listed sidewall MAX PSI. See if it makes any change.
Old 01-05-21, 04:43 PM
Ridemehard

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The online store CRC is saying it could be a defected wheel and is allowing me to get an exchange. Should I go with that or request a full refund?
Old 01-05-21, 05:26 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
The online store CRC is saying it could be a defected wheel and is allowing me to get an exchange. Should I go with that or request a full refund?
Only you know what will make you happy. Who cares what this group of goofballs thinks?
Old 01-05-21, 05:32 PM
Troul 

if the replacement is 6 months out from being received, that might dictate which is the wiser route.
Old 01-05-21, 05:54 PM
Ridemehard

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Only you know what will make you happy. Who cares what this group of goofballs thinks?
I want the wheels but I don’t want to receive another faulty one. I was only able to find positive feedbacks on this wheelset but I seem to be the only one having issues with it.
Old 01-05-21, 05:57 PM
Ridemehard

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Troul
if the replacement is 6 months out from being received, that might dictate which is the wiser route.
pretty sure is only a 1-2 week transit from the uk. DHL delivered the first time around within a week.
Old 01-05-21, 05:58 PM
Troul 

pretty sure is only a 1-2 week transit from the uk. DHL delivered the first time around within a week.
transit time does not equate availability.
Old 04-11-21, 02:11 PM
cidera

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi - little while later - was there any resolution on this - I have a new set of Prime 38 Black editions and am experiencing the same issue! Cheers
Old 04-11-21, 09:29 PM
Ridemehard

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cidera
Hi - little while later - was there any resolution on this - I have a new set of Prime 38 Black editions and am experiencing the same issue! Cheers
Unfortunately no, I returned the wheelset and got a full refund.
Old 04-12-21, 07:33 AM
cidera

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply - no worries - I actually had a second ride on them today and the problem seems (fingers crossed) to have gone.

Customer service saying clearing out excess grease in the freehub body will help - i'll do that if it comes back again but i'm hoping the grease has "worked in" now and solved the problem itself - if not i'll probably return them like you did.

Reluctant to do so though, because apart from the early noises, the wheels have been excellent so far.
Old 04-12-21, 12:45 PM
Ridemehard

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for your reply - no worries - I actually had a second ride on them today and the problem seems (fingers crossed) to have gone.

Customer service saying clearing out excess grease in the freehub body will help - i'll do that if it comes back again but i'm hoping the grease has "worked in" now and solved the problem itself - if not i'll probably return them like you did.

Reluctant to do so though, because apart from the early noises, the wheels have been excellent so far.
Hope it works out for you.
Old 06-25-21, 08:29 AM
webbtwisco

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I've just purchased a set of Prime 50mm clinchers and seem to be having the same issue. Contacted Wiggle today. Did you manage to resolve your issue or have to return the wheels?
Old 07-27-21, 03:25 AM
JensJensen

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by webbtwisco
So, I've just purchased a set of Prime 50mm clinchers and seem to be having the same issue. Contacted Wiggle today. Did you manage to resolve your issue or have to return the wheels?
Hi, I have the same issue with a crank/cling sound from rearwheel when engaging force in the pedals.

Have thought about replacing grease with oil or lighter grease in the pawls/hub. And removing the washer to get rid of the rolling resistance in the freehub. Otherwise really nice wheel, light, responsive, smooth and pleasing made. Please let me know if any experience with the sound disappearing after time.
Old 07-27-21, 04:03 AM
webbtwisco

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JensJensen
Hi, I have the same issue with a crank/cling sound from rearwheel when engaging force in the pedals.

Have thought about replacing grease with oil or lighter grease in the pawls/hub. And removing the washer to get rid of the rolling resistance in the freehub. Otherwise really nice wheel, light, responsive, smooth and pleasing made. Please let me know if any experience with the sound disappearing after time.
Thanks for the reply. I contacted Wiggle directly and they recommended removing the hub and cleaning off the factory grease and regreasing myself. Which I did. Worked like a charm. No noise since. The amount of grease the factory put in was ridiculous and meant the pawls were not engaging as they should and causing the cassette to slip slightly. Very pleased with the wheels otherwise but this seems to be a recurring issue with these wheels which Prime/Wiggle should get on top of.
Old 07-27-21, 04:46 PM
Ridemehard

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by webbtwisco
Thanks for the reply. I contacted Wiggle directly and they recommended removing the hub and cleaning off the factory grease and regreasing myself. Which I did. Worked like a charm. No noise since. The amount of grease the factory put in was ridiculous and meant the pawls were not engaging as they should and causing the cassette to slip slightly. Very pleased with the wheels otherwise but this seems to be a recurring issue with these wheels which Prime/Wiggle should get on top of.
Lucky you. Ride on 👍
Old 03-07-24, 12:59 PM
steve pinarello

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Guys,

Ive been having the same problem, Prime wheels, cassette having too much friction and causing the chain to go slack when your free wheelin...

The chain batters around the chain stays and worries the **** out of me.

Ive stripped down the hub, freehub, checked it, cleaned it, all seams ok when I manually spin the freehub but back on the bike it goes crazy again....

If its on the bike and I turn the wheels backwars all is fine, but if I put weight on the saddle or sit on the bike it goes crazy.

CONCLUSION: The problem needs weight on the bike to instigate, no weight, no problem....

Anyone else had this problem and found the correct solution.

Thanks in advance.