Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to replace ring gear in geared hub motor

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-16-21, 07:09 PM
10cup

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Hey guys/gals, I want to replace the ring gear in my 350W hub motor which seems simple enough with the right tools. Has anyone done this before and if so can you give me some pointers on completing the job. I know it requires heat around the ring gear housing and cooling the replacement ring gear so it will drop in.

TIA

10cup

Old 01-17-21, 07:49 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Having replaced external ring gears on flywheels and crank bearings in MC engines numerous times this a bit different but similar.
I usually drill and split the old ring gear to remove. You may have to do this in a number of spots on an internal gear.
On a flywheel I'd heat the gear and cool the flywheel in this instance you'd need to heat the hub.Localized heat may be better so not to cause issues with the grease in that bearing. Unless of course you plan to replace the bearing. That wouldn't be a bad idea as long as you're into this far already. Cool the gear in the freezer. When you feel the hub is warm enough and the gear cool enough drop the gear in place (in a perfect world) if needed persuade into place with a hardwood, AL, or brass drift.

Old 01-17-21, 10:03 AM
10cup

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Having replaced external ring gears on flywheels and crank bearings in MC engines numerous times this a bit different but similar.
I usually drill and split the old ring gear to remove. You may have to do this in a number of spots on an internal gear.
On a flywheel I'd heat the gear and cool the flywheel in this instance you'd need to heat the hub.Localized heat may be better so not to cause issues with the grease in that bearing. Unless of course you plan to replace the bearing. That wouldn't be a bad idea as long as you're into this far already. Cool the gear in the freezer. When you feel the hub is warm enough and the gear cool enough drop the gear in place (in a perfect world) if needed persuade into place with a hardwood, AL, or brass drift.

https://youtu.be/R-d5Q2TRLvI
Thank you Sir! Very informative to say the least. I'll give that a try and see how that works.
Old 04-09-21, 02:49 AM
rihab

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How to replace the ring gear in a geared hub motor

Hello,
I want to replace the ring gear in my hub motor but i dont know from where i could order a new one.Could you please help me found a supplier for this type of gear.

Last edited by rihab; 04-09-21 at 02:55 AM.
Old 04-09-21, 08:24 AM
10cup

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rihab
Hello,
I want to replace the ring gear in my hub motor but i dont know from where i could order a new one.Could you please help me found a supplier for this type of gear.
This is where I got mine.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3288...%2316062%23873