Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

popular street bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

popular street bike

Old 01-31-21, 06:55 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
popular street bike

Have you folks seen more of these types of bike recently? It seems all kids and teens that are getting into bikes are riding these 29" BMXs. Pretty neat bikes that can pull wheelies easily. Most are single speed but I've seen a few 10sp with disk brakes also. Good for short rides and just fooling around but might look a bit odd for us senior citizens...

https://www.sebikes.com/
Old 01-31-21, 09:13 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
I think they'd be a blast, but yeah, someone at my age and with my proclivities probably shouldn't be getting on that slippery slope, because as much as I want to "send it," my rickety carcass would just Friday Fail-it and I'd wind up in the hospital.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 01-31-21, 09:50 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I’ve seen those around town, and they look like a blast. Can’t really justify a bike like that, but I wish I could.
Old 01-31-21, 11:21 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
Have you folks seen more of these types of bike recently?
No.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-31-21, 11:34 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Looks like fun. Oddly enough when MTB's first came out, a lot of folks dismissed them as just being for kids who had outgrown their BMX bikes. So maybe this is the next big thing.
Old 02-01-21, 12:01 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
i would SO under-utilize that beast.
Old 02-01-21, 02:40 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
I haven't seen a place that has used cartoon looking pics of it's products in awhile except maybe Duluth Trading.
Neat but not for my old arse.
Only time I do tricks like that now are accidentally and out of control.

Old 02-01-21, 03:45 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
That thing looks like a ton of fun
Old 02-01-21, 06:31 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
26” and 29” BMX are a silly amount of fun. For an 80’s BMX kid like me, they’re a cool throwback, since I still like to hoon around, even on my city bikes.
If I had a pump track anywhere near me, I’d probably have to add one to the fleet.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 02-01-21, 07:18 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
I've never seen one of these.

Are they on the market already? I went to the Find A Dealer page and checked the websites of several shops near me but none of them listed SE Bikes as a brand they carry.
Old 02-01-21, 07:25 AM
metz1295

Bikes: '97 Cannondale M500; '14 Specialized Secteur Compact; '21 Trek Roscoe 7

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I looked at a 20" SE for my kid's first BMX bike. The guy working at my LBS actually talked me out of it. He said they're great if pulling wheelies is all you want to do. Not great handlers for BMX style riding. I wanted something a little more versatile for my kids first bike, so I waited for the Kinks to come back in to stock and paid an extra $100 for it. SE's are colorful though...
Likes For metz1295:
Old 02-01-21, 07:57 AM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Their website says they have been around since the '70s, who knows how many times the SE brand has been bought and sold since then. Not interested enough to search further. Doubt I could stay on one more than a few minutes. I do like their price points though.
Old 02-01-21, 01:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
SE is not quite the same SE from the 70s and the quality isn't quite there but I dig their ethos, they are trying to get young and old into riding and having fun and being part of a group for positive purposes. A big person BMX sounds like a fun time.
Old 02-01-21, 02:20 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Are they on the market already?
yes, SE has been making different versions of their big bmx bikes for well over a decade. they're nothing new, but the trend caught on in some regions recently, so you'll probably see more of them. most likely, they're going to be popular in more densely populated cities where there's not much natural terrain for mountain biking and that sort of thing. it also seems to be more of a social phenomenon, not something you do solo but kind of a "party on wheels" mentality. it's a bit controversial with bougie people clutching their pearls over kids getting rowdy riding bicycles in the street. getting cranky boomers to yell at them is part of the fun. they seem to get a kick out of causing a disruption in traffic but it's not the worst thing kids could be getting into.
Old 02-02-21, 07:44 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

If people don’t know how legendary SE is, or know about how important bikes like the PK Ripper, Quadrangle, or Flyer are, they cannot understand what they’re looking at when they see these bikes.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-02-21, 08:22 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
If people don’t know how legendary SE is, or know about how important bikes like the PK Ripper, Quadrangle, or Flyer are, they cannot understand what they’re looking at when they see these bikes.
yeah. I mean, damn. please review BMX history 101.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 02-02-21, 08:46 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
AFAIK, the company was last owned by the Performance Bike conglomerate (along with Kestrel, Fuji and a few others) that went out off business a year or so ago and sold its assets. Solid bikes; my son had an original PK Ripper called a "Foiler" (AIR), manufactured by the originator, about 35 years ago. Probably worth a buck or two today.
Old 02-02-21, 01:05 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by mack_turtle
yeah. I mean, damn. please review BMX history 101.
For sure that, absolutely, but in addition to that, there’s the fact that since the mid-‘00s, those SE retro bikes have created and defined a whole new genre of bikes, Big BMX, and fueled a whole new culture. The Big Ripper was the only bike in that space for years, and now it’s become a booming segment. The whole #bikelife culture is based on that, and what’s more is that it was really started by DC Shoes’ collab with SE to revive the PK Ripper, which through co-owner Ken Block, connects SE with the motorsports scene and right back to the bikelife thing. What SE is doing is organic; that the guy from Blink182 (i.e. Famous) did bikes with SE, NFL player “Beast Mode” Lynch, Public Enemy, Pabst, and boutique hotel chain The Standard, speaks to a very, very broad sense that the retro BMX thing SE started is truly cool. And it has been 15 years now, so you know we’re not talking about a fad, but rather a trend, and that so many have just missed it to date tells me it’s going to stick for awhile yet.
Old 02-02-21, 01:12 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
They’re all over the place in NYC/NNJ.

I’d love to get ahold of one of the Public Enemy collabs. Sweet haha!

Last edited by Rage; 02-02-21 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-02-21, 01:21 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
...and that so many have just missed it to date tells me it’s going to stick for awhile yet.
I'm sure you're right, but those who have missed it thus far are probably just of an age (or our kids are) where the original BMX thing flew right under our radar. I think Mongoose is the only BMX brand I could think of on short notice. BMX was always "there", but I didn't know anyone who rode BMX, because we were all into 10-speeds.

I've seen the videos though.... Sam Pilgrim, and some others. I started watching them when he went to Walmart and bought some bikes to see if they'd hold up under his usual tricks. Now his videos keep being recommended every time I turn on the computer!
Old 02-02-21, 02:17 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I'm sure you're right, but those who have missed it thus far are probably just of an age (or our kids are) where the original BMX thing flew right under our radar. I think Mongoose is the only BMX brand I could think of on short notice. BMX was always "there", but I didn't know anyone who rode BMX, because we were all into 10-speeds.

I've seen the videos though.... Sam Pilgrim, and some others. I started watching them when he went to Walmart and bought some bikes to see if they'd hold up under his usual tricks. Now his videos keep being recommended every time I turn on the computer!
I’m sure you’re right about the generational thing, and my point was just that as more people learn about this type of bike, I think they’ll find the styling, accessibility, and ease-of-use really appealing, which is why I forecast growth of the trend.

I love Pilgrim! He seems so good natured, his riding ability is unbelievable, and he’s a prolific content generator, too, that’s for sure! He must do three vids a month, at least. It would be supercool to see him shred on a PK!
Old 02-02-21, 03:47 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 100 Posts
Ohh please don't show moe more bike types , i'm running out of space in there
yeaaa they are really cool!
Old 02-02-21, 04:45 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

This is the Quad, from back in ‘12, which I’m still pissed off about passing on:

Old 02-05-21, 06:46 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
I see kids on these styles - a few have 29ers - riding the skateboard park ... they let me chase them til i chicken out ... unless you wanna go full shred you (NOT ME) can pretty much do this kind of riding on a MTB barred Surly Steamroller
Old 02-05-21, 08:25 PM
Ross200

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
yes, SE has been making different versions of their big bmx bikes for well over a decade. they're nothing new, but the trend caught on in some regions recently, so you'll probably see more of them. most likely, they're going to be popular in more densely populated cities where there's not much natural terrain for mountain biking and that sort of thing. it also seems to be more of a social phenomenon, not something you do solo but kind of a "party on wheels" mentality. it's a bit controversial with bougie people clutching their pearls over kids getting rowdy riding bicycles in the street. getting cranky boomers to yell at them is part of the fun. they seem to get a kick out of causing a disruption in traffic but it's not the worst thing kids could be getting into.
+1 on the disruption. Around here they are playing chicken with fire trucks and ambulances on calls in addition to regular traffic. And other cyclists. They are also making moves to physically intimidate seniors out for a walk, in the crosswalk or on the sidewalk. Verbally harassing women of all ages walking or riding bikes. SO is reluctant to leave the house to ride alone as she is worried they will knock her off her bike.

Yeah, not the worst thing to be getting into now, but it is not going to end well.