Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano BB-UN73 Sealed cartridge - Serviceable?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-21, 01:37 PM
flyagaricus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Hi. I'm doing an overhaul on an old bike and wondering if I should service the sealed cartridge. It's a Shimano BB-UN73. The spindle turns freely but firm. No noise or grinding. I couldn't find any tutorials on how to dissemble this particular unit, otherwise I would just go ahead and do it to be thorough.

Question is, how can I tell if it's good to keep using, and if not, does anyone have any pointer on servicing?

Cheers.
Old 04-05-21, 01:54 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
If it's not rough why would you want to 'service' it? It's generally accepted that when they do start to feel worn/rough you buy a new one. It's not worth most people time to try to take one apart and service it. You'd be replacing bearings that probably cost more to buy than a new bottom bracket.
Old 04-05-21, 02:27 PM
flyagaricus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
If it's not rough why would you want to 'service' it? It's generally accepted that when they do start to feel worn/rough you buy a new one. It's not worth most people time to try to take one apart and service it. You'd be replacing bearings that probably cost more to buy than a new bottom bracket.
I'm very new to bikes and bike mechanics, so I don't even really know what to look for if it was worn out, besides obvious seizure or grinding. So, answers and advice like yours are what I'm looking for. I'm stripping the bike right down, so I want to service what I can while I'm at it.

Cheers
Old 04-05-21, 02:43 PM
lubloi

Bikes: Koga Miyata GranTourer 1985, Koga Miyata Adventure 1992, Cinelli Sentiero, Giant Terrago 1993, Presto Amsterdam 1975(?), Dahon Classic III Stainless

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by flyagaricus
I'm very new to bikes and bike mechanics, so I don't even really know what to look for if it was worn out, besides obvious seizure or grinding. So, answers and advice like yours are what I'm looking for. I'm stripping the bike right down, so I want to service what I can while I'm at it.

Cheers
Cartridge BBs are generally considered to be non-servicable, they are simply replaced when they develop play or when they grind. They typically last decades and tens of thousands of kilometers. If you are tearing down the bike it is a good idea to remove it from the frame and clean/grease the threads before putting it back.
Likes For lubloi:
Old 04-05-21, 02:51 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Never Fix A Running Piece
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 04-05-21, 03:28 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
BB's generally are very inexpensive. They are cheap enough to be considered a consumable. No service, just replace when bad.

I think your BB-UN73 was discontinued and those that have them for sale use that fact to get more money from you than they are worth. But Shimano makes other models that supersede it and are less than 20 bucks.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-05-21, 08:37 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I have a NIB BB-UN72 left over from years ago and it looks like the outer shell was "turned over" the bearings at both ends, effectively locking them in. You would have to grind off the ends of the shell to free them. As noted, these were not designed to be serviceable and were replaced when worn out, which took a long time. If yours still turns smoothly and quietly, be thankful and keep using it until it doesn't.