Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

2x - 1 Derailleur

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-21, 08:17 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
2x - 1 Derailleur

We have been thinking about adding this to the options we carry at our shop. It is an IGH wireless rear hub that has the same inernal shift range as a front derailleur. Why we have not seen this before I have no idea, but it looks intriguing. Your thoughts appreciated:

Old 04-07-21, 10:09 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
It looks like a nice implementation of an idea that we definitely have seen before. I didn't think anyone had offered anything like it for a long time but Sturmey has a current product. One of them has disc mounts https://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/pr.../cs-rf3-silver

Sachs also used to sell one. People used to obsess about chain line so they didn't like to have a lot of gears. So the combo of IGH with a few external gears made sense to them.
Old 04-08-21, 02:11 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
What existing electronic systems is is compatible with? ETap? Di2 with BT module? Seems like a nifty way to get lots of range with more gradual steps, and without so much exposed mechanicals to get buggered.
Old 04-08-21, 09:19 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

The advantage I see right away is that a lot of bikes sold now are really not intended to work with 2x. So if you want more gears that's a problem.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 04-08-21, 09:55 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
This is about the coolest bit of new tech that Ive seen in the last handful of years. Everything else has been 'meh' and quite bluntly most of it seems to just be stuff that is clutter and doesnt really improve a riding experience(at least mine).
I never would figure that I will switch to a 1x for gravel since gravel roads are just unpaved roads and my road bikes are 2x. This though?...I could see this being a possible change.

- The battery lasting 3 months is good and important to highlight.
- The ability to shift under load is neat, though I have never approached a 15% grade in my largest ring so is it super needed?

- $200USD for a different cassette is serious money.
- The cassettes only going up to 34t is limiting. Hopefully a 36t will be added soon.
- $2860 for their wheelsets is bonkers. That will eliminate all but the most willing of early adopters.
- The lack of standalone hub so you can just build your own wheel(or have it built) is a massive drawback.
- Service is a question- how fast will issues be resolved when something breaks or the bluetooth simply doesnt connect? You have a cyclist with a $3000 wheelset that only works in whatever gear ratio it happens to be set on.

It doesnt really do much for me that a 2x doesnt already do though, so if my view is similar to others, the cost may be a big hurdle. If this catches on and comes down to a more accessible price point, I would for sure consider it when I need to change my drivetrain.
Old 04-08-21, 10:07 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
If I ever got this - I would wait to see the long term reviews on how it holds up and the price would have to be lower.
Old 04-08-21, 10:14 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I figured the money was too much for me. People buy pinions though, and they aren't cheap even before the special frame and they are relatively heavy.

My gravel bike is 2x. 28/42 up front. That's not really supported very well by manufacturers, if at all. I'm resigned to getting the equivalent 1x system, which means I'll go from a 28 32 to a 42 50 or something like that. It will take some getting used to looking at that

I wonder if you moved from Des Moines to Dubuque, you would feel differently about 1x. In Central Pennsylvania, all the roads either go up a mountain or down a mountain. 42-11 is a pretty big gear on gravel unless you somehow find yourself wanting to stay up with a pro peloton. I have won the sprint at the end of the local Wednesday night gravel worlds in my 42-11.

Last edited by unterhausen; 04-08-21 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-08-21, 11:57 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I figured the money was too much for me. People buy pinions though, and they aren't cheap even before the special frame and they are relatively heavy.

My gravel bike is 2x. 28/42 up front. That's not really supported very well by manufacturers, if at all. I'm resigned to getting the equivalent 1x system, which means I'll go from a 28 32 to a 42 50 or something like that. It will take some getting used to looking at that

I wonder if you moved from Des Moines to Dubuque, you would feel differently about 1x. In Central Pennsylvania, all the roads either go up a mountain or down a mountain. 42-11 is a pretty big gear on gravel unless you somehow find yourself wanting to stay up with a pro peloton. I have won the sprint at the end of the local Wednesday night gravel worlds in my 42-11.
If I were in DBQ, I would probably adjust, yes. As it is, my drivetrain is different from all my paved road bikes and it would probably change a little more if I were in an area with endless steep short punch hills instead of the more rolling terrain with some short punch hills where I am.
I have 48/32 with an 11-36 right now. Maybe I would change to 46/30 if I were in DBQ? Heck, if Praxis made a 46/30 when I bought my current crank, I would probably have that and an 11-34 cassette.
Old 04-08-21, 01:33 PM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
Someone translate Des Moines vs Dubuque?
Old 04-08-21, 01:47 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by fourfa
Someone translate Des Moines vs Dubuque?
Two cities in Iowa. Des Moines is in the center of the state where there are fairly small hills. Dubuque is on the Mississippi river, so there are robust climbs up from the river, fairly decent size hills.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 04-08-21, 02:50 PM
pipeliner

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
Love the idea and would definitely buy one on my next bike (if it cost 1/2 of that).
Old 04-08-21, 05:05 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Yeah cost is an issue as many point out. That is a carbon wheelset though plus the cassette and IGH so maybe that helps somewhat. IGH technologi si pretty well established, but they are not as a manufacturer of it. I do wish there were a hub-only option or an aluminum wheelset. We woild be the first US dealer if we go for it.
Old 04-08-21, 05:07 PM
dwmckee

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
This is about the coolest bit of new tech that Ive seen in the last handful of years. Everything else has been 'meh' and quite bluntly most of it seems to just be stuff that is clutter and doesnt really improve a riding experience(at least mine).
I never would figure that I will switch to a 1x for gravel since gravel roads are just unpaved roads and my road bikes are 2x. This though?...I could see this being a possible change.

- The battery lasting 3 months is good and important to highlight.
- The ability to shift under load is neat, though I have never approached a 15% grade in my largest ring so is it super needed?

- $200USD for a different cassette is serious money.
- The cassettes only going up to 34t is limiting. Hopefully a 36t will be added soon.
- $2860 for their wheelsets is bonkers. That will eliminate all but the most willing of early adopters.
- The lack of standalone hub so you can just build your own wheel(or have it built) is a massive drawback.
- Service is a question- how fast will issues be resolved when something breaks or the bluetooth simply doesnt connect? You have a cyclist with a $3000 wheelset that only works in whatever gear ratio it happens to be set on.

It doesnt really do much for me that a 2x doesnt already do though, so if my view is similar to others, the cost may be a big hurdle. If this catches on and comes down to a more accessible price point, I would for sure consider it when I need to change my drivetrain.
I thought so too. Really well thought out implementation of existing technologies. I just wish it used a standard cassette.
Old 04-09-21, 04:13 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Because dropping chains with 1X over and over again gets old.
Old 04-10-21, 01:58 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Originally Posted by shoota
Because dropping chains with 1X over and over again gets old.
I'm not familiar with this issue...can you explain how to make this happen? All jokes aside, a proper 1x shouldn't be dropping chains. Or, am I missing something?
Likes For Badger6:
Old 04-11-21, 08:15 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
The concept is brilliant, the execution is seamless, the cost prohibitive for most. I spend a lot of money on bikes but that is two grand I just cannot justify. I still hope they can make a go of it. Innovation is good for the cycling industry.
Old 04-11-21, 12:34 PM
dwmckee

Originally Posted by blakcloud
The concept is brilliant, the execution is seamless, the cost prohibitive for most. I spend a lot of money on bikes but that is two grand I just cannot justify. I still hope they can make a go of it. Innovation is good for the cycling industry.
If you are building a high-end bike the cost is not that bad as it covers carbon wheel, cassette, front derailleur, allows you to use less expensive 1x shifters, etc. but if you already have all of that it is more of a problem.

Frankly, if this is reliable and they get the cost down enough this could become a common 2x drive system. No wait, Shimano did not patent it so they will crush it out of the market.
Old 04-11-21, 12:53 PM
Noonievut

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
I still have to watch the video, but I skimmed the posts, though it’s the title that got me intrigued...is there a way to get two gears instead of a singlespeed so you can have both a high and low gear, though without derailleurs? Would be nice on a winter bike, mainly for roads, with the two gears optimized for average speed/cadence on flat roads, plus a climbing gear.
Old 04-11-21, 07:36 PM
dwmckee

Originally Posted by Noonievut
I still have to watch the video, but I skimmed the posts, though it’s the title that got me intrigued...is there a way to get two gears instead of a singlespeed so you can have both a high and low gear, though without derailleurs? Would be nice on a winter bike, mainly for roads, with the two gears optimized for average speed/cadence on flat roads, plus a climbing gear.
There are several choices available for 3-speed internal geared hubs, but you wll have to live with the manufacturer;s choice of ratios, and you may have to settle for at least 3 gears. My friend had an IGH 2-speed in the 60s where you briefly tapped the coaster brake to shift between the two ratios, but I have not seen one of those since then. It was probably a Sturmey Archer.
Old 04-12-21, 07:21 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Badger6
I'm not familiar with this issue...can you explain how to make this happen? All jokes aside, a proper 1x shouldn't be dropping chains. Or, am I missing something?
All I have is anecdotal evidence but within my group we have about an even split of 1X and 2X riders. I'd say over the last three years the number of chain drops for the 1X users is close to 4x or 5x as many, at least. Chain stretch, pebbles, mud, washboard.. all contribute to dropped chains. And not only does 1X drop more often but you have to stop to put the chain back on.
Old 04-12-21, 08:22 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Hmm, fortunately I don't have that problem. Maybe someday I will, but 3 years going, I've dropped a chain exactly once, and it was totally random. Though I run chain rings designed for 1x use and clutched RDs.
Old 04-12-21, 01:09 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Badger6
Hmm, fortunately I don't have that problem. Maybe someday I will, but 3 years going, I've dropped a chain exactly once, and it was totally random. Though I run chain rings designed for 1x use and clutched RDs.
So do all of us. It's actually getting to the point that if the group is big enough and the ride long enough, there is almost a 100% chance someone will drop their chain.
Old 04-12-21, 01:18 PM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
I wonder if there's a difference between 1x11 and 1x12 chain drop rates; do narrower chains bend sideways slightly better?
Old 04-12-21, 02:40 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
... My friend had an IGH 2-speed in the 60s where you briefly tapped the coaster brake to shift between the two ratios, but I have not seen one of those since then. It was probably a Sturmey Archer.
The one I had as a kid was Bendix. Two red stripes on the hub. A bunch of bikes of my friends had them back in the 60s.

Last edited by Camilo; 04-12-21 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-12-21, 04:13 PM
dwmckee

Originally Posted by Camilo
The one I had as a kid was Bendix. Two red stripes on the hub. A bunch of bikes of my friends had them back in the 60s.
That was it! Must have been a Bendix then. I was too poor to have one back then so I was on a single speed. Who knew I was a cool single speeder before it was so fashionable!
Likes For dwmckee:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.