Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Specialized Vita for touring?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-09, 09:08 PM
patgoral

Bikes: 1978 Motobecane Le Champion Fixed Conversion, 2009 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking at getting my girlfriend her first "real" bike to do some light touring on. i was looking at the Specialized Vita https://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=38460 It has rack mounts on the front and rear stays and will fit her because she is extremely tiny. Would the geometry on this bike allow you to put drop bars and a shorter stem on and still be comfortable?
Old 03-08-09, 10:41 PM
northboundtrain

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The geometry isn't all that different from the smallest LHT sizes. It seems to me that hybrid bikes in general are nothing more than road bikes with very relaxed geometry, high head tubes, and easy gearing. I suppose also that the flat bars and twist shifters seem more user friendly or less intimidating to the novice.

Why, though, not get something ready to ride out of the box rather than something you intend to modify/upgrade?
Old 03-09-09, 06:15 AM
patgoral

Bikes: 1978 Motobecane Le Champion Fixed Conversion, 2009 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its cheaper and she isn't a rider now so I want to get her something she can ease her way into.
Old 02-16-17, 09:32 PM
greeneyedggirl

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Vita!

Originally Posted by patgoral
Its cheaper and she isn't a rider now so I want to get her something she can ease her way into.
I've had my Specialized Vita Sport Disc EQ now for almost a year, and I've put almost 2000 miles on her for everything from grocery shopping to touring. She's one of the best bikes I've ever owned and is just as comfortable riding to the grocery store as she is doing 50 miles in a day on touring rides. I highly reccomend the disc brakes, they are way better than rim brakes, especially when I have 40 lbs of groceries or camping gear. Such a comfortable bike already setup for front and rear racks, fenders and everything else you want to add from there for long trips.
Old 02-16-17, 10:52 PM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Why can't she use the flat bars on the Vita? My wife and I use flat bars when we tour and we get along just fine.
Old 02-17-17, 07:30 AM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My opinion is based on the bar conversion.
Get what is very comfortable for her this season. I assume she rides quit a bit now. Then when she shows interest in drop bars buy her a drop bar bike.
If she might be ready to try a drop bar bike this year you save a step. If she is hesitant, then make her happy.

Enjoy riding together above all. Remember to stop and smell the roses.

-Snuts-

Edit: I see she is relatively new, looks like a season on the flat bars. Trekking bars are an easy upgrade later, for touring.

Last edited by Snuts; 02-17-17 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-17-17, 07:40 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It looks like a good compromise for a newbie just the way it is. And will be a great around town bicycle, and day trips. If she really likes touring then get something better for long distance touring at that time. maybe even convert the carbon version of the Vita.
Lots of folks have more than 1 bicycle. No reason for a super tourer right now.
Is that what Snuts said?

Last edited by Squeezebox; 02-17-17 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-17-17, 07:52 AM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
It looks like a good compromise for a newbie just the way it is. And will be a great around town bicycle, and day trips. If she really likes touring then get something better for long distance touring at that time. maybe even convert the carbon version of the Vita.
Lots of folks have more than 1 bicycle. No reason for a super tourer right now.
Is that what Snuts said?
Exactly.

When the dedicated touring bike happens, she will have her own preference by then.

Just Ride (ha-ha)

-Snuts-
Old 02-17-17, 09:57 AM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I'm not tourer but at 5' tall (short?) I know the struggle is real to find a proper sized bike lol. There are small touring bikes though List of XS Touring Bikes for Smaller Cyclists: 42cm, 44cm, 46cm - CyclingAbout

Hybrid usually have a longer ETT than roads bikes so the reach would be longer than on the equivalent size road bike.

Perhaps she could "upgrade" to one of those when she's more into it. As other, I'd also recommend riding the Vita as is, maybe add bar ends.
Old 02-17-17, 10:22 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
I'm looking at getting my girlfriend her first "real" bike to do some light touring on. i was looking at the Specialized Vita https://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=38460 It has rack mounts on the front and rear stays and will fit her because she is extremely tiny. Would the geometry on this bike allow you to put drop bars and a shorter stem on and still be comfortable?
Probably but...

The Vita frame is a good frame but you'll have to spend a lot to convert it. You'll need new shifters and brake levers as well as brakes or adapters (those haven't worked well in my experience). The gearing is a bit high for a touring bike and, especially, for a smaller woman. You'll probably want to replace the crank, especially if the stock crank is a long 170 or 175mm one. Basically, you'll be paying $500 for the frame.

I would suggest, as others have, leaving the bike mostly stock (the crank wouldn't be a bad upgrade even then) and going for flat bars or even a trekking bar. If she likes that, you can monkey around with upgrades later.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!