Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Tire recommendation please for road/path/groomed trail tire

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-10, 05:18 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

Sorry, I know that tire rec requests are a major source of posts on this forum.

I am looking for a tire that is good on pavement, MUPs, canal paths and fire roads, and is reasonably light.

Right now, I'm using Vredestein Perfect Moiree, which are almost bullet proof (I dig chunks of glass out with a knife and the tire doesn't even flinch), but are very heavy (around 800 grams). I would love to find a good tire in the 300 gram range.

Thanks
Old 02-25-10, 05:56 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
So you want a tire that is extremely light, has good grip in all conditions and is puncture resistant? Do you want it to be under $20 too?

Seriously though, you should be able to find a cyclocross tire that does what you want, but you're going to have to go above 300 grams (unless you go tubular). A CX tire with file tread would meet most of your qualifications. Puncture protection (assuming you want to keep that) is the tough part. I find myself becoming more and more of a shill for Scwalbe these days, but at the risk of furthering that, I would say the Schwalbe Sammy Slick CX looks like your best bet. I haven't used them, but they're on my wish list.

The CX tires I have used are the Michelin Mud2, which is light and a very good tire but reputed to wear fast on pavement, and the Maxxis Locust CX, which is a bit heavier, clings to mud, and isn't good at all on pavement.
Old 02-25-10, 06:27 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have really enjoyed the Specialized Borough CX Armadillo tires. 700x32, 360 grams so quite light for a tire this size and has great flat protection. What I was VERY surprised to see was how well they roll on pavement. They are almost as fast as 700x25 slicks. Folding as well so easy to get on/off. What I don't like is the price. $60 each doesn't make me happy.. Hopefully they'll last awhile.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0006-4046_d.jpg (32.7 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by knobster; 02-25-10 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-25-10, 07:22 PM
veloduffer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Bontrager Jones CX cross tires and Kenda Kross Supreme. If you don't want knobbies, try the Rivendell Rolly Polly or Jackie Brown tires. (www.rivbike.com) The Riv tires have a round profile and provide good cushioning on rough roads, and they don't feel heavy.
Old 02-26-10, 01:26 AM
DG Going Uphill
experience over lungs

Bikes: Marin Cortina, Bianchi San Jose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been very happy with Michelin Jets for what you describe. They are quite light, good volume, and I haven't had a flat. I have a pair of Vittoria Rando Hypers on order for drier conditions and days that are almost all road. These are light and have a lot of puncture protection, so may be better for you.
Old 02-26-10, 12:54 PM
knucklesandwich

Bikes: Kona Jake (2006)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Panaracer Paselas or Urban Max are a nice grippy but not too knobby tire. Cheap and durable. T-Servs are a little more pricey but also good.
Old 03-02-10, 08:44 AM
mrtornadohead
dork. yup.

Bikes: Trek xo2, Fuji Cross Pro, Schwinn Traveler cross-conversion, Concours, Trek 2300, Takara, Specialized Hard Rock, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, GT LTS Team issue, BikeE, Miyata 110, and some others. Somewhere.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the Pasela's. In the conditions you talk about there's no real need to run knobs of any sort. The Pasela's a cheap, you can get a wider model and run with lower air pressure for a more comfortable ride (32 or 35's), and Bicycling Quaterly has rated them one of the fastest 700c tires (and BQ has done one of the most extensive test on this subject).

FWIW, I have used 35c Pasela's on MTB trails and the only place I had issues was in real rooty- or rocky terrain.
Old 03-02-10, 10:00 AM
RFC

Thanks all.
Old 03-05-10, 01:43 AM
boss4774
lead out

Bikes: '10 Fuji Cross RC, '09 Specialized Tarmac Pro SL, '0 Gary Fisher Paragon, IRO Model 19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kenda Small Block Eight....you won't regret it
Old 03-06-10, 02:18 PM
RFC

Thanks all. I went with the Urban Max and am very pleased. Yes a bit heavier than the Paselas, but maybe a bit more protection. And they are infinitely faster than the Vredestein Perfect Moirees -- a very nice tire that weighs over 800 grams.