Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

General New-to-Biking Confusion

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-12, 11:22 PM
cjp87

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all, I've been lurking around your forum unregistered for awhile to gather some basic information, and I figured it was about time I just narrow down a few avenues and ask the experts.

I'm looking to buy a bike in the next few weeks, and have a few pretty different options as to what I should do. I haven't owned a bike since I was in the single-digits, and outside of what I've read here, am pretty out of the loop as to what is good and what I should look for. I initially started my search thinking I'd find something for $150 on Craigslist, but it became quite apparent that that's unrealistic after looking around and learning what you spend on a good bike. Then I started looking at different types of bikes, and well, let's just say that options aren't my best friend.

Anyway, I think my big dilemma is down to whether or not I want to get a folding bike or a regular road or cyclocross type bike. Now, I had a really large and detailed post typed up, but the page timed out and I lost all but the previous two paragraphs ( ), hopefully I remember all I said.

Basically, I want a bike to go to and from my lab at school (graduate student at the University of Oklahoma, Norman) and maybe around town since it's a pretty compact city. I would also use the bike for exercise purposes, riding around the less-populated backroads and whatnot, though probably not ever going truly off-roading (so I won't need a mountain bike). I'm 72" tall and weigh about 210lbs (part of the reason I need to start riding!). I'd like to keep it as close to $500 as possible, less is always better, but I understand that you get what you pay for.

There are two primary reasons I'm considering folding bikes. The first is that a regular bike would require a rack on either my or my wife's car, but I'm quite confident that even two 26" folders could fit in either trunk. That would be convenient if we wanted to take them somewhere outside of riding distance. The other, more everyday reason, is that it would be nice to be able to ride straight to my lab (1.5 mile commute or so, pretty short and easy), fold the bike up and stick it in the office, and then go about my day on campus. Wouldn't have to worry about finding a bike rack or chaining it up.

I think if I were to go folding bike, I would prefer a 26" wheel size, but this isn't set in stone. Obviously there are much larger selections of 20" folders, but the larger size seems more familiar to me, and really, I won't be needing to fit it on a subway (we don't even have one). This would have me leaning towards the Tern Joe C21, but I'll post links in a bit to the rest I've been looking at as well. The good thing is that there's a local bike store here in Norman that I know sells Tern bikes, so I think I could get a test ride if it came down to a 20" vs. 26" debate.

The reasons I think it might be better to not go with a folding bike basically boil down to me not being sure it's really necessary. As I said, it's not like I need to do hybrid commuting, it would be a straight short bike to school and back, maybe some rides around town, and some longer-distance rides around the backroads for exercise. This could be accomplished with a regular road/cyclocross bike without sacrificing cost or features to get the added convenience of packing it up in the lab or trunk.

So here are some of the folders I've come across and been interested in (with the Tern Joe as the frontrunner), as well as some traditional bikes that some friends linked me to. None of this is a steadfast "must be one of these", but more like a guideline for what I've been looking at and interested in. I'm completely open to new suggestions.

Tern C7 - $450
Tern D8 - $600 (Price premium worth it?)
Tern Joe C21 - $500 (frontrunner)
Downtube FS - $500

Windsor Kensington 8 - $450
Gravity Zilla - $500
Motobecane Cafe Latte - $400

Sorry for the wall-of-text, any and all help is much appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Old 07-24-12, 01:17 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
There's a guy who frequents the Folding forum here that is associated with one of the bike shops in OKC or even Norman, I forget. Note that most folders tend to have a max load of about 225, so if you're already 215, you're gonna be cutting it close by the time you add any accessories and whatever gear/books/whatnot.

You'll be better off finding a LBS that gives you the warm and fuzzy and buy something from them. A BD sourced bike has great value, but only if you have access to skills and tools that are basically free. If you have to get the LBS involved in the assembly, then much of that value is eaten up.
Old 07-24-12, 01:46 AM
katcorot

Bikes: 2013 Surly Big Dummy, 2008 Giant Rincon, 1980's Raleigh Century, 1970's Apollo Deelite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Another down side to folders is their very short steer tube. The weight of you body flexing on the handlebars will cause the bearing races to ovalize and have to be replaced. Folders are great for short commutes where storing you bike in your office is the main thing your looking for.
Old 07-24-12, 09:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
you should not bypass your local bike shop,
since you are not already well versed on the ins and outs of the mechanics..

and a heavy rider stresses things like wheels
making more frequent service after the sale important.

spokes break when a wheel is let go out of tune.
Old 07-24-12, 01:17 PM
Paul01

Bikes: Vitus 979, KHS Montana Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikes Direct has very good deals on bikes but they assume that you have the tools and experience to assemble, tune and adjust the bike. As an alternative, many shops will this for you for a fee.
Old 07-24-12, 01:41 PM
Andy Stanton

Bikes: Trek 7100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might want to consider a Trek 7000 or 7100. Good all around hybrid bikes and especially good for a heavy person (I ought to know). They aren't road bikes (and they don't fold) but if you don't need the lightest and speediest bike around, they are very solid.
Old 07-24-12, 02:18 PM
cjp87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I was still planning on checking out the bike shop I mentioned before, but I appreciate the advice on Bikes Direct. I'm sure I could learn to put a bike together, but tuning may be a different matter entirely.

I looked at the Trek you mentioned, Andy, looks pretty nice. No I don't need the lightest or fastest around, just something good for in-town commuting and to get some exercise. Won't be doing any racing.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Tern Joe? It seems the rider weight limit is pretty good (254lbs), and I've read that Terns are pretty solid as far as sturdiness goes. And since there's a local store that carries Terns, I should be able to get local service that way. Or would I just be better off going for something like the Trek 7000/7100?