Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

please help troubleshot my Fixie

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-11-14, 05:03 AM
TMacNJ68

Bikes: middle of Building a fixie from 1986 Ross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

whats up everyone i need some help.. i was tightening my chain because it popped off on the earlier ride. i set it and it was tight i turned the crank 1/3 turn and the chain was louse again then another 1/2 turn it was really tight... i checked the the tire and cog are straight so i think its the crank... what do you guys think
Old 07-11-14, 05:32 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
It's the alignment of your chainring on the spider. They're never completely concentric so you'll always get some places that are more tight than others. Try this:

1. Loosen all of your chainring bolts so they are just barely tight enough to hold the chainring in place.
2. Now spin your crank for several cycles. That should center your chainring so the tight and loose places are less noticeable.
3. Re-tighten your chainring bolts and you'll be good-to-go.
Old 07-11-14, 06:25 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,091 Times in 722 Posts
After following retro grouch's advice about centering the chain ring, you will need to make sure that there is still a little slack remaining even at the tightest point.
Old 07-11-14, 06:53 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4153 Post(s)
Liked 3,751 Times in 2,245 Posts
Another trick is to remove the ring and rotate it on the crank spider the follow RG's centering advice. There are 5 (if the ring has 5 bolts) chances to get as close to round as possible. Also make sure that your chainline is spot on. Using a chain not meant to derail easily can help. Andy.
Old 07-11-14, 10:39 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5681 Post(s)
Liked 2,386 Times in 1,320 Posts
The fact is that chains should never be tight, and the tension or, more properly, minimum slack is set at the tightest position on an eccentric chainring. Feel free to center the ring as well as possible, which will improve things, but even if you don't, the system will run fine with varying slack, as long as there's minimum slack (not tension) at the tightest point.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.