Search
Notices
Rides and Races A place for posting group rides, races, and regional threads for the fixed gear and single speed forum.

Toronto Fixed Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-10, 03:37 PM
iherald

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd have to think there were studs, but we'll see. If stud finder doesn't find anything, any other options?
Old 02-07-10, 04:20 PM
2wheelsgood

Bikes: '08 Marinoni Pista, '05 specialized langster(RIP), '06 norco kokanee(RIP), '05 norco charger(RIP),'08 surly steamroller, surly big dummy coming soon!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi all! It's been a while. I hope y'all are well. As a result of my superior financial planning and the bustling film industry I'm forced to sell some of my luxury items. Please check it out: https://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/bik/1590075842.html

Thanks for reading.
Old 02-07-10, 05:56 PM
iherald

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sucks 2wheels.
Old 02-07-10, 09:43 PM
kergin

Bikes: 1994 Proctor Townsend Reynolds 753, TT S3 True North, Kona Major Jake, Kona Honky Tonk, Marinoni Puima, Cannondale BBU

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It does suck. In other news: someone was dumping Centaur parts on CL for dirt cheap this morning $130 for 10sp Centaur ergos...?
Old 02-08-10, 10:34 AM
_K.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iherald
I'd have to think there were studs, but we'll see. If stud finder doesn't find anything, any other options?
Not sure if the previous post was referring to toggle bolts specifically, but toggle bolts will hold a lot of weight especially as the size goes up, into the hundreds of pounds. What you need to mitigate the lever arm is an L-shaped bracket rather than something like a bare hook but even with a lever arm of 10-fold, the numbers might still work out.

https://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepa...eBoltSpecs.gif
Old 02-08-10, 11:21 AM
iherald

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info on the toggle bolts. I had seen them online, but it wasn't as clear how to use them. They look like they could be overkill, but that's better than a big hole in the drywall!
Old 02-09-10, 09:50 AM
iherald

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone know where I can get Tufo tubular tape? Or if there is a suggestion for a better brand let me know.
Old 02-09-10, 11:53 AM
krusty
Successful alcoholic

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
D'Ornellas had quite a bit of the extreme last I was there. La Bicicletta has a cloth base tape that is much easier to remove from a rim later, but in extremely hot weather, I got a bit of 'creep' of my tire on the rim with it.
Old 02-09-10, 07:24 PM
exhibitx
Balls

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyone have any experience hanging bikes from a wall without studs? Where I want to hang mine doesn't seem to have studs (according to the stud finder) but I know I can use drywall anchors (the bike are relatively light). Can anyone recommend a good anchor?
the white ez-anchors are pretty amazing, i would feel comfortable hanging a fairly light bike with them

my walls at my apartment were plaster or whatever, no drywall, so the only way i was able to hang bikes was with a standing hanger with nothing attached to the wall, works pretty well but takes up a lot of space
Old 02-10-10, 12:44 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Anyone know where I can get Tufo tubular tape? Or if there is a suggestion for a better brand let me know.
Don't use tubular tape if you can help it. Glue is always better. Also note that that tape must be used with a brand spanking new rim, or extremely clean one - not one that has been previously glued. And it's also not warrantied for use for anything but Tufo tubulars.
Old 02-12-10, 03:32 PM
pyze-guy
Yup

Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reminder to all....

Icycle Sat Feb 13
7pm Dufferin Grove Park
Become reality to me
Old 02-12-10, 04:34 PM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
6:30 if you're racing
Old 02-13-10, 01:58 PM
elTwitcho
Live without dead time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
No, you just read that wrong. I wasn't at all slagging them. I was just curious because two of my former co-workers (good on them) left urbane to work there. Two of some of the best people i've ever worked with. I pretty much took out the entire service dept. when I left last summer (won't say more on a public forum).

I've seen some not so pro-wrenching come from bikes built at that shop last summer but who knows.
I was up at La Bicicletta a couple times over the past week and dealt with one of the dudes who used to be at Urbane (bald guy). Really nice guy, remembered me from Urbane and helped me out a bunch with picking up an HRM and a saddle for the new (to me) road bike. Was super helpful when I went back because my computer didn't come with the instructions and the heart rate sensor wouldn't link. Very nice guy and spent some time just chatting with him even after I'd paid for my purchases and was on my way out.

FWIW all the people I dealt with at la bicicletta were remarkably nice, didn't catch any attitude for being in a shop where every bike is way outside my price range from anyone but one customer who shot me dirty looks, but you can't really control that.

In other news, really really enjoying the geared bike. Still like my fixed for darting around in traffic but getting outside the city and being able to hold 40 km/h on the flats really really rules.
Old 02-14-10, 12:40 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
Yep, fixed is a lot of fun but there is something exhilarating about flying along Queen and beating all of the traffic home. I wasn't even going fast yesterday and I passed 3 streetcars and about 75 people shivering in the cold, waiting at streetcar stops. The TTC really does blow, I am so happy that I don't rely on it...
Old 02-15-10, 03:17 PM
iherald

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know a lot of you work at bike shops, so this might not apply, but has anyone taken the bike repair course offered by the Toronto School board? I'm thinking about taking it, since it will be useful to really learn about my bike. Any experiences?
Old 02-16-10, 01:19 PM
kergin

Bikes: 1994 Proctor Townsend Reynolds 753, TT S3 True North, Kona Major Jake, Kona Honky Tonk, Marinoni Puima, Cannondale BBU

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
Yep, fixed is a lot of fun but there is something exhilarating about flying along Queen and beating all of the traffic home. I wasn't even going fast yesterday and I passed 3 streetcars and about 75 people shivering in the cold, waiting at streetcar stops. The TTC really does blow, I am so happy that I don't rely on it...
Hm... fixed was great for building up endurance and strength, and that payoff is *really* obvious on a road bike. You coast less, remain seated more, and really lay down some power.

On another note - I've started to do leg curls at the gym to strengthen my hamstrings. Are there any other cycle-specific weight training routines I should think about adding?
Old 02-16-10, 03:59 PM
jet sanchEz

Originally Posted by kergin
Hm... fixed was great for building up endurance and strength, and that payoff is *really* obvious on a road bike. You coast less, remain seated more, and really lay down some power.
Yeah, I hardly ever coast nowadays, it is pretty neat. My friend who is a seasonal rider noticed it when he came out with me during that warm weather back in January, "Dood, why are you always pedaling?"
Old 02-16-10, 08:29 PM
iherald

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brad, about wheel you made for me (which is great, thanks!): I'd like to put a locking skewer on it, so that I don't have to worry about losing it. But the skewer that's in it doesn't seem to come out. How do I get it out?
Old 02-17-10, 08:49 AM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Dave, it doesn't come out because there isn't one. It's a solid axle. Even if you could, you don't want to put a quick release axle on the back of a fixed gear anyhow.

My advice is to lock the frame and rear wheel with a ulock. You could get a cable for 15 bucks and get the front wheel in there too if you're so inclined.
Old 02-17-10, 12:53 PM
iherald

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok, thanks!
Old 02-17-10, 11:39 PM
elTwitcho
Live without dead time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those guys helping me with the craigslist miele purchase a while back, her she is finished and road ready. Haven't been able to take her out but twice because of the salt on the roads (and won't be riding this bike when it rains either) so I've still forgotten to but the bolts for the second bottlecage back in, but you get the basic idea.

Rides awesome

In other news, did my second day of volunteering yesterday at bike pirates and learned how to remove a stuck quill stem using a vice and a 2 by 4. Getting to fix up the old messed up bikes is doing wonders for my learning how to work on stuff I up to know haven't been familiar with.
Old 02-18-10, 12:14 AM
91MF
i'll probably break it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
that payoff is *really* obvious on a road bike.
this x1000000
Old 02-18-10, 12:20 AM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
On another note - I've started to do leg curls at the gym to strengthen my hamstrings. Are there any other cycle-specific weight training routines I should think about adding?
I would stay away from that if you are just cycling... try doing something like squats, no leg presses. If you are unsure(seems like it) then be extra cautious.. a lot of guys just go in to the gym and tear their knees apart pressing a thousand pounds.

Is there some reason you want todo hamstring exercises?

edit: yes, do upper body and core work... usually legs aren't a cyclists weak point.
Old 02-18-10, 11:51 AM
jet sanchEz

Originally Posted by elTwitcho
In other news, did my second day of volunteering yesterday at bike pirates and learned how to remove a stuck quill stem using a vice and a 2 by 4. Getting to fix up the old messed up bikes is doing wonders for my learning how to work on stuff I up to know haven't been familiar with.
The Miele looks great.

Every time I pass by Bikepirates, they are closed. I have a super-bent fork that I need to replace...
Old 02-18-10, 09:33 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by elTwitcho
No offense to that place, but man there are some real hack wrenching going on at that place. Place gives me the creeps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.