Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Old 01-03-20, 10:20 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11894 Post(s)
Liked 6,490 Times in 3,417 Posts
I've been know to keep mine up til mid-January or more. Not out of neglect, but because I enjoy the lights and hate to see the season end.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 01-04-20, 04:37 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
It’s really wet out. I am cancelling my group ride and heading out solo on the trail on my beast, the SS beater rain bike.
Likes For datlas:
Old 01-04-20, 06:43 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I have. Technically it’s nicer, but it’s still an extended torture session in a demon machine. I’d have been as happy with a divider between me and anyone else but AG.

What I really want is full anesthesia and being wheeled around like Hannibal Lecter until I arrive, then be woken up.
That’s been my fantasy too. I can still do Europe in a decent coach seat with my Thermarest ass pillow (the kind wheelchair folks use), the right shoes, and a really good novel.

I find alcohol and sedatives just makes things worse on the trip out, but wake-up drugs at the other end are great, especially when you have to show up somewhere that day and be interesting. Sleepers are okay on the trip home.

Asia = business. No exceptions.

In a post above, which I deleted because it looked elitist, I mentioned that when we travel transoceanic for pleasure, my wife goes business and I go coach + and think about the bike parts I can buy with the savings.

I basically hate air travel and avoid it whenever possible.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 01-04-20 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-04-20, 07:13 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8723 Post(s)
Liked 2,855 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
blah, blah, blah...
Same.
Anything < a 6 hour drive away, I drive. I even drive when I visit the boyhood home of @VeloVol
which is Sharpsville, Pennsylvania. That is 735 miles and about 10 hours and 45 minutes. All on one stop at the midway point around Lexington, Kentucky.
#TheMoreYouKnow
Old 01-04-20, 07:21 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Is @seedsbelize on Hiatus or just busy chipping up rocks for the great highway?

He hasn't taunted us lately about the awesome weather down there, SOB.
Old 01-04-20, 08:40 AM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha

an immigrant’s life is never without flying . On average we have to fly 11-ish hours one way every year or so. After 19 years of flying coach back and forth I’d say I’ve been resigned to it. I just sit, start watching a movie aafter movie till we land (never been able to sleep on the bus/plane etc).

I’d have to say though, coast to coast flights in the US seems to be more taxing/tiring than the 11+ hour of transatlantic flights.
Likes For kissTheApex:
Old 01-04-20, 08:43 AM
kissTheApex

Kids have been patiently waiting to have some since we drove back from State College after our New Year’s trip. Having fed them somewhat more nutritious breakfast, I’m going to “grill” them a slice each.

Old 01-04-20, 08:43 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts

What I really want is full anesthesia and being wheeled around like Hannibal Lecter until I arrive, then be woken up.
I'd also require a catheter for most flights.

Old 01-04-20, 08:45 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
So last night I learned some things. I mentioned the discrepancy between what I was seeing on my new to me powertap hub (a total score on a built wheel for 200 bucks) and what I was used to seeing in Zwift. This lead me to finally RTFM on the Wahoo Kickr Snap I've owned for just over a year now. It turns out that outside of the spindown calibration, they are very specific about how many turns of the adjuster knob you make after you make contact with the tire. Yeah, it made a huge difference in power numbers. The good news is that my power isn't as weak as I thought it was. The bad news is that it's still not great and I still weigh too much for any sport, let alone this one.
Old 01-04-20, 08:47 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
As far as business flights go, I've only ever done domestic flights, so it's easy to suffer. I've also taken to reading novels because screen time on a plane just gets to be too much for some reason. I've read way more in the last year just because of business trips.
Old 01-04-20, 08:48 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,701 Posts
Originally Posted by kissTheApex
Kids have been patiently waiting to have some since we drove back from State College after our New Year’s trip. Having fed them somewhat more nutritious breakfast, I’m going to “grill” them a slice each.

That worried me until I goggled the thing.
Old 01-04-20, 09:12 AM
kissTheApex

Originally Posted by LAJ
That worried me until I goggled the thing.
. It’s not the healthiest thing, but we rarely get them so I guess it’s ok.
Old 01-04-20, 09:13 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28433 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
which is Sharpsville, Pennsylvania. That is 735 miles and about 10 hours and 45 minutes. All on one stop at the midway point around Lexington, Kentucky.
Why don't you stop in Knoxville?
Old 01-04-20, 09:14 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28433 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
an immigrant’s life is never without flying .
Immigrant from where?
Old 01-04-20, 10:00 AM
MoAlpha
• —

an immigrant’s life is never without flying . On average we have to fly 11-ish hours one way every year or so. After 19 years of flying coach back and forth I’d say I’ve been resigned to it. I just sit, start watching a movie aafter movie till we land (never been able to sleep on the bus/plane etc).

I’d have to say though, coast to coast flights in the US seems to be more taxing/tiring than the 11+ hour of transatlantic flights.
That kind of travel is non-optional. Our only child lives in Europe and will probably settle there, reversing our families’ journeys. Fortunately, she had a choice.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-04-20, 10:04 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10065 Post(s)
Liked 5,051 Times in 2,155 Posts
Same.
Anything < a 6 hour drive away, I drive. I even drive when I visit the boyhood home of @VeloVol
#TheMoreYouKnow
I fly for free and I am the same way. When my base closed my commute went from one leg to two legs, I ended up driving the 8 hours to work for a year.
Old 01-04-20, 10:18 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Same.
#TheMoreYouKnow
I will do 16 hour drives. That’s one of the reasons we like the Ironmans in Chattanooga: a driving trip means the bike isn’t disassembled, no TSA, functionally-unlimited baggage, and your own food. And WAY less chance of getting sick.

We briefly had a Dallas-based boss who would actually fly down to Austin for the day when she visited. Between security and the car rental, I can’t believe it was any faster.
Old 01-04-20, 10:21 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Tool question:

I have several old (10-20 years old) power screwdriver/drill type devices from Ryobi or Black and Decker. None are working due to old batteries. Some have internal rechargeable batteries and I am fairly sure they should be recycled. But some have external batteries that simply won’t hold a charge because old/not used in years. Any thoughts on whether it’s worth getting new batteries or is it safe to bet they are obselete anyway?

The irony is I have an ancient (likely 50+ years old) electric drill that still works. I see some sparks flying around in the inside which makes me ascared to use it though.
Old 01-04-20, 10:21 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
As far as business flights go, I've only ever done domestic flights, so it's easy to suffer. I've also taken to reading novels because screen time on a plane just gets to be too much for some reason. I've read way more in the last year just because of business trips.
I wish I could read on the plane, but there are too many distractions and as with reading in the car as a kid, it makes me motion-sick. Recently I’ve found that just listening to podcasts with my eyes closed is even better than movies, which always stretched the definition of “watch” for me on a plane.
Old 01-04-20, 10:25 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by datlas
Tool question:

I have several old (10-20 years old) power screwdriver/drill type devices from Ryobi or Black and Decker. None are working due to old batteries. Some have internal rechargeable batteries and I am fairly sure they should be recycled. But some have external batteries that simply won’t hold a charge because old/not used in years. Any thoughts on whether it’s worth getting new batteries or is it safe to bet they are obselete anyway?

The irony is I have an ancient (likely 50+ years old) electric drill that still works. I see some sparks flying around in the inside which makes me ascared to use it though.
I’d ask at Home Depot or similar. There’s a good chance new batteries will work - laborers have less patience for “standards” that last two years than cyclists. Even Canon has kept the same batteries for it’s cameras for a long time, only switching the LP-E6 to the LP-E6N to add capacity and in-camera charging but the two are still cross-compatible in cameras.
Old 01-04-20, 10:27 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Tool question:

Didn't need to read any further than indicated. Answer is easy. yes, you're a tool.

#DougOnDougTrashTalking
Old 01-04-20, 10:28 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

I will do 16 hour drives. That’s one of the reasons we like the Ironmans in Chattanooga: a driving trip means the bike isn’t disassembled, no TSA, functionally-unlimited baggage, and your own food. And WAY less chance of getting sick.

We briefly had a Dallas-based boss who would actually fly down to Austin for the day when she visited. Between security and the car rental, I can’t believe it was any faster.
yes, driving = freedom.
Old 01-04-20, 10:32 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

yes, driving = freedom.
It’s weird to me that auto-makers don’t really touch on that in commercials. “Upgrade from first class” seems obvious. Audi has one commercial that is sort of adjacent to this right now, but it’s more focused on “be different for the sake of it” than “flying sucks so drive a nice car instead”.
Old 01-04-20, 10:36 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Tool question:

The external batteries are all available in Li ion and NiCd. I have replaced some of mine twice. For Li, you’d have to buy a charger. Try Amazon if HD doesn’t have them. The internal ones can be removed for disposal, but some of those battery chains, like Batteries Plus, can replace them.

I have never seen a drill (with visible innards) that didn’t spark, except in an OR or something.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 01-04-20 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-04-20, 10:40 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Thanks for the tool tips. I will take the best unit (a mid-level Ryobi) to Home Depot and see if they have a compatible battery/charger.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.