Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Vermonters!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-20, 06:02 PM
CoyDawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Vermonters!

Are there any Vermonters out there? I'm relatively new to cycling but would like to read of your experiences and where you cycle.

Kevin
Old 08-13-20, 01:44 PM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Check this out

Missisquoi Valley Rail Trail & the Island Line Trail

Last edited by bktourer1; 08-13-20 at 01:46 PM. Reason: an addition
Old 08-13-20, 02:24 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Where in VT?
Over half the road miles in the state are dirt, but dirt can be beautiful. It usually has lighter traffic. There are two bike trails that cross the state; a very rugged one runs north-south, through the spine of the Green Mountains, one more suited to human consumption runs east-west, between Burlington and Wells River. The latter is on some roads and some old railroad right way, ~90 miles. It is relatively flat, and in Wells River it connects with the Cross New Hampshire Adventure trail which runs ~80 miles to Bethel, Maine, also pretty flat. Burlington has some bikeways that head north to the islands, and, eventually to Montreal, if they ever start letting us in again. Two bike shops to check out are Old Spokes Home, in Burlington,and Onion River.
Welcome to Vermont, and good luck
Old 08-14-20, 08:39 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Where in VT?
Over half the road miles in the state are dirt, but dirt can be beautiful. It usually has lighter traffic. There are two bike trails that cross the state; a very rugged one runs north-south, through the spine of the Green Mountains, one more suited to human consumption runs east-west, between Burlington and Wells River. The latter is on some roads and some old railroad right way, ~90 miles. It is relatively flat, and in Wells River it connects with the Cross New Hampshire Adventure trail which runs ~80 miles to Bethel, Maine, also pretty flat. Burlington has some bikeways that head north to the islands, and, eventually to Montreal, if they ever start letting us in again. Two bike shops to check out are Old Spokes Home, in Burlington,and Onion River.
Welcome to Vermont, and good luck
Also the Delaware and Hudson Rail Trail, down in SW Vermont.

@OP. Telling us where you are located helps refine the recommendations as to routes. As Pratt indicated a lot of routes are gravel roads and is why I know own a gravel bike, to take advantage of this stuff. I've typically ridden out of the Ludlow area and done many loops and routes in that region, plus stuff in Burlington. Bottom line is about everywhere in Vermont is great for road and gravel riding, mt. biking as well if you're into rocks and routes !.

One good resource is RideWithGPS. Do a Find and look for routes in a particular area.

Last edited by Steve B.; 08-14-20 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-19-20, 03:11 PM
CoyDawg

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I'm up in the NEK and am riding on the roads. I'm new to the sport/hobby and struggle on hills so am trying to find a lot of flat areas which is very difficult in Vermont.
Old 08-20-20, 04:07 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
one more suited to human consumption runs east-west, between Burlington and Wells River. The latter is on some roads and some old railroad right way, ~90 miles. It is relatively flat, and in Wells River it connects with the Cross New Hampshire Adventure trail which runs ~80 miles to Bethel, Maine, also pretty flat.
Having in the past vacationed in the vicinity of both VT and ME ends of that, while circumstances might mean this is not the year for it, it's definitely something I need to check out!

https://www.xnhat.org/
Old 08-23-20, 06:10 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
I’d suggest working on getting stronger on hills. Unless you stick to rail trails, the highways that follow the rivers or travel over to the Champlain Valley to ride, hills is what we got. NEK has great gravel riding. Two NEK rail trails are the Lamoille Valley from W. Danville to St. J. and the relatively short Beebe Spur trail that runs from Newport to near the Canadian border along Lake Memphremagog (when the border is open it’s possible to connect to the Longer Tomifobia rail trail in Canada via a short road ride).

Last edited by Greenhil; 08-24-20 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Fix spelling