Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Boston bike parking

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-20, 11:19 AM
Ctm404

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boston bike parking

Hi all,

I'm going to be living in a tiny, walkup condo in the South End for next few months, & I can't figure out where I'll be able to park my bike. My partner understandably doesn't want it crowding our small space, and I don't particularly want to carry it up and down four flights of a narrow staircase.

I can't imagine spending the fall in Boston without regular rides, especially if I'm going to keep my sanity during the pandemic.

Is it crazy to plan to keep a bike in the bike cage at Back Bay station? Any other creative ideas? (I'm leaving my nice bikes at home, bringing an older mountain bike.)
Old 08-15-20, 03:22 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
First, the Pedal and Park cage at Back Bay is for commuting, not long term parking.

However, they only tag bikes from time to time. Once tagged, you’ve got two weeks to remove the tag before they move it to abandoned storage, then a month to claim it before they give it away.

Second, there is a grey market for parking in the South End, primarily car but bikes too.

Third, if you are bringing a mountain bike that’s just meh because you don’t want it stolen, it still might be. And it will be miserable to bring up and down the four flights of stairs if other arrangements don’t work out.

Finally, consider Blue Bikes. No, it won’t be a greatest ride, but they aren’t too bad either for getting around the city and even for just a ride, without all the downsides of worrying about secure bike parking (once docked, not your worry), let alone a fourth floor walkup.

-mr. bill
Old 08-15-20, 04:20 PM
Ctm404

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, thanks so much - super helpful!!
Where might one find this gray parking market? Craigslist??
(If anyone on here near is Union Church wants to rent me some space in your basement, give me a shout
Blue bikes - groovy for around town but I don't think I'd want to roll 20+ miles on one....

Originally Posted by mr_bill
First, the Pedal and Park cage at Back Bay is for commuting, not long term parking.

However, they only tag bikes from time to time. Once tagged, you’ve got two weeks to remove the tag before they move it to abandoned storage, then a month to claim it before they give it away.

Second, there is a grey market for parking in the South End, primarily car but bikes too.

Third, if you are bringing a mountain bike that’s just meh because you don’t want it stolen, it still might be. And it will be miserable to bring up and down the four flights of stairs if other arrangements don’t work out.

Finally, consider Blue Bikes. No, it won’t be a greatest ride, but they aren’t too bad either for getting around the city and even for just a ride, without all the downsides of worrying about secure bike parking (once docked, not your worry), let alone a fourth floor walkup.

-mr. bill
Old 08-17-20, 03:04 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Where are you now?

I’ve rolled on Blue-ish Bikes for 20+ all over the world, and they are a delight. As delightful as my own? No. But still damn good. Wouldn’t want to do a century (even metric), but 20ish is fine.

(Where are you now? Take out a bike share on a 20+ and you can decide.)

Craigslist works for finding car parking, old school looking for a bike parking spot with tear off phone number on a utility poll in your neighborhood might work, e-version is seeking bike parking. (These days, burner phone might be wise too, sigh.)

Another alternative is a folder, still a workout up and down the fourth floor walkup, but easier to find a nook once you’ve gotten to the top.

-mr. bill
Old 08-25-20, 01:55 PM
pbpbbq

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
A few ideas, though none of them seem sure things:
  • Back Bay Station is nearish to the northwest corner of the South End. Its bike cages/room are crowded but all (I think) you need for access is a Charlie Card.
  • If you happen to be a BU student, staff, or faculty, you might be able to register for the Boston Medical Center bike parking at 710 Albany street, which is closer to the southeast corner of the South End.
  • There are parking garages that dot the norther edge of the South End (really, Back Bay and the Theater District). You could give a few of them a call and see if they offer bike parking -- I'm thinking the John Hancock garage and the St. James Street garage might have something.