Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

LBS vs Snob?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-20, 02:43 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by BCAC
I’ve never tipped my LBS. Should I?

I buy bikes from them, buy gear I could order off the internet from them, even if they have to order. I get all my service done by them, including work I could easily do myself. I drive past two other shops to get to them and they know I make a point to use them.

I never even thought about tipping. I do go on a weekly bike ride they organize.

Seriously, should I be tipping?

They do always look after me promptly, whether it’s for a new tire or something more.

I never ask to be put at the front of the line. They just do it. We are all on a first name basis.
You're tipping the workers, not the business
Old 11-15-20, 05:18 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
As an automobile service mgr, everybody behind the counter was a service mgr, we had a bay that was for quick fixes, run of the mill jobs...we had a couple of mechanics that could break off of certain jobs to quickly move small, uncomplicated jobs through...
Old 11-15-20, 05:26 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by billnuke1
As an automobile service mgr, everybody behind the counter was a service mgr, we had a bay that was for quick fixes, run of the mill jobs...we had a couple of mechanics that could break off of certain jobs to quickly move small, uncomplicated jobs through...
Yes, i switched dealerships after finding the one I bought the car at had only 3 bays for Subaru and the others were for other makes the dealership sold. I went to another dealership that had 18 bays but only 12 were active at one time. Two were dedicated for oil changes and state inspections. Others were for standard jobs and a few for long term jobs like engine rebuilds.

I could call up and come in the same day for an oil change.

My LBS will stop and replace a tube or something quick to get the customer back on the road. It also means they don't have to store and inventory another repair. They are also technically closed on Wednesdays but have a mechanic in trying to get repairs done without having to answer the phone or talk to customers. After 6 months they are finally caught up and having a "normal" turn around.. unless they are waiting on parts.
Old 11-15-20, 06:15 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,741 Times in 1,014 Posts
I have a friend of mine that is a mechanic at one of the local Honda dealers. I pay him directly for work he does on my cars, saves me a bundle. I do work on his computers and such at no cost outside of parts as needed. It's a great trade off.

Old 11-15-20, 06:38 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
You're tipping the workers, not the business
That never occurred to me (but then I have an average IQ) but it makes perfect sense. I feel like such a cheap b@$t@rd. 15%, 20% of labor or the whole bill?

Old 11-15-20, 06:46 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by rsbob
That never occurred to me (but then I have an average IQ) but it makes perfect sense. I feel like such a cheap b@$t@rd. 15%, 20% of labor or the whole bill?
Whatever you think.....

Tossing them a $20 will make their day and not break your bank.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 11-15-20, 08:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by BCAC
I’ve never tipped my LBS. Should I?

I buy bikes from them, buy gear I could order off the internet from them, even if they have to order. I get all my service done by them, including work I could easily do myself. I drive past two other shops to get to them and they know I make a point to use them.

I never even thought about tipping. I do go on a weekly bike ride they organize.

Seriously, should I be tipping?

They do always look after me promptly, whether it’s for a new tire or something more.

I never ask to be put at the front of the line. They just do it. We are all on a first name basis.
I would tip. I always love it when I get tipped, though the $250 bottle of vino is not something I would use as I am not really a wine drinker and wouldn't imagine cooking with something that nice but some cash to buy lunch or drinks or something is always nice. We were traveling and we had to go to a shop to borrow two pumps (shock and floor) and I gave them some good beer and he went back to the other mechanic and said "we got beer tonight". They literally handed me a pump and we did our own work but I work in the same industry so I know.

It is just nice to get a tip and feel valued. Even if it is just a fiver or "hey I work at Dom's Pizza, come by and I will hook you up with a discount" or something like that. It is great you value the shop and keep supporting them and I am sure they appreciate it but giving a little to the employees directly is nice. Making a 100 bucks for helping someone put a bike on the car rack certainly made my night and several days after and the delivery driver as I ordered a ton of food (some of which I would have done anyway as they are my go to) and tipped big to them.

Sure in a perfect world we would all have a living wage and we could end the need for tipping (because it gets confusing at points) but I still like the idea of saying "hey good job, my guy, gal or non-binary pal".
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-16-20, 08:23 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
High-end or low-end, they're all customers. If snob doesn't like that fact, he can wrench his own bike.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 11-16-20, 01:08 PM
Leadrunner

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Diverge Elite A1, 2013 KHS Flite, 1998 Trek 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
LOL. Like your humility.
Old 11-16-20, 02:14 PM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
If he bought his bike at the shop and they had of policy of prioritizing their customers when doing repairs it would be fine. It might not even be a bad idea to make that a policy to get people to support their LBS. I do all my own work on my bikes. But I'm that way about everything unless it's beyond my abilities wrt skills or necessary tools.
Old 11-16-20, 02:18 PM
TheLizard

Bikes: 2001 Trek 8000

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel

Return the jackalope’s bike like this and tell him to go for a ride.
Yea, putting that drop-bars torture device on there would piss anybody off!
Old 11-16-20, 03:33 PM
washed up

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
I do all my business with a lbs instead of online and my shop knows that. He will slip me in as a way of saying thank you and I appreciate that.
Likes For washed up:
Old 11-16-20, 04:34 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 4,527 Times in 3,029 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLizard
Yea, putting that drop-bars torture device on there would piss anybody off!
I have drops on my gravel bike but rarely in the drops. Maybe down hill in a heavy wind.
Old 11-16-20, 04:42 PM
HillsSuck

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolutely a snob.
As a former shop worker I remember talking to a parts company rep about department store or low bikes. He asked how much did it cost you to get them in the store. They looked for you, versus you looking for the higher end customer. In today’s market with so many online options many of which are much cheaper and more convenient than an IBD you can’t afford to turn away a customer. He went on to explain that if you treat them fair, if and when they want an upgrade they’ll at least give you a shot. Remember not everyone wants, needs, or can afford high end specialty bikes. Even as former shop worker, I sometimes feel looked down when I go into a shop. Like if I don’t want spend 3k+ I’m not worthy of their time.
Old 11-16-20, 06:39 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Doesn't just about any somewhat savvy business have what could be termed a "loyalty program". What would that equate to for an LBS? Just how should an LBS differentiate and provide value to "loyal" vs. "first-time" customers?
Old 11-16-20, 08:06 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
FIFO - First In First Out.

Ask that person if when they go to DMV to register a new car, should people with a Mercedes go ahead of someone with a Kia?
Yes, people with Benzes should always go ahead of everyone else, otherwise what’s the point of buying a Benz....
Old 11-17-20, 09:51 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I feel sorry for the guy. He obviously just stumbled out of the Rapha club. https://www.rapha.cc/ca/en/rcc/benefits
Old 11-17-20, 10:23 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
The person with the fancy bike should know how to do basic maintenance, unless it's something like frame welding. I have more sympathy for the little guy.
Yes and I wouldn't be surprised if the LBS made more money out of repairing the cheap bikes. The people who buy those bikes usually don't know or care so much about bikes hence they only understood the price. That means they're also not interested in repairing them. And being a bit shoddy they also go wrong more.
​​​
Old 11-17-20, 11:18 AM
SpeedRanger

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 18 Posts
^
Probably some will disagree with me, but I'm surprised how low bike repair fee's are these days (YMMV), which is great for people who own less expensive bikes.
I hate to see bikes become another consume-n-toss product like computer printers.
Perhaps some bikes are scraped after a season or two, but reasonable shop repair cost should encourage people to hold onto their department store bike a little longer.
Old 11-18-20, 10:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by washed up
I do all my business with a lbs instead of online and my shop knows that. He will slip me in as a way of saying thank you and I appreciate that.
Old 11-19-20, 12:12 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
" I liked it a lot better around here when you guys had nothing to do and were having trouble making payroll. Now you have a lot of work and money going into the cash register, which really sucks. "
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 11-19-20, 12:38 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
" I liked it a lot better around here when you guys had nothing to do and were having trouble making payroll. Now you have a lot of work and money going into the cash register, which really sucks. "
There's a guy here at the office who is always complaining that he is too busy, or that he doesn't have enough work. There is never a middle ground!
Old 11-19-20, 12:47 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I wouldn't over think it, if they go above and beyond you could drop off a 6'er or 12 pack of whatever the cool Ale or Microbrew is your area. Pizza at the end of the day would probably be appreciated (they don't leave the second the shop closes...cleanup, prep, etc).
Old 11-20-20, 06:38 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
For the all the donated/tipped beer evidently handed out, I will say I've never walked into a LBS and seen all the employees swigging the stuff.
Old 11-20-20, 09:48 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
I wouldn't over think it, if they go above and beyond you could drop off a 6'er or 12 pack of whatever the cool Ale or Microbrew is your area. Pizza at the end of the day would probably be appreciated (they don't leave the second the shop closes...cleanup, prep, etc).
Good ideas. Thank you.

When my 15 year old black lab had both knees replaced and was going down for the count we were at the vet’s office just about every week for 6 months. We started taking them home baked cookies, lattes and various treats because they became like family. When Eddy the lab died, all of us cried and hugged. Now when we take our new dog in, they like to kid and say, What did you bring us?

Likes For rsbob:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.