Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Plugging Energy Leaks

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Plugging Energy Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-20, 06:32 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Clarification, please. At what mileage does it become serious/significant?
Well for me at least- id say after about 45KM of non stop riding.
Old 11-23-20, 06:34 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by Skulking
Typically by around 6 months it's serious. When you introduce her to your parents and she introduces you to hers you know for sure.
LMFAO

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Many of the gym fanatics that I (saw when there were gyms)

tend to have extreme grimace/ jaw tension, and others seem to count extensive time looking at their phone as part of the workout,

so a gym may not be the best place to look for efficiency and endurance...

I find that scanning for and relaxing any muscle tension that is not needed at that time to be a good practice.
That last bit is good advice.

All depends on how serious and disciplined you are. don't let the distractions get to you
Old 11-23-20, 07:04 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I'm mostly just reading this thread. I think it's funny, too, that the newbie is trying to school the guys who have been doing this for 20, 30, even 40+ years. Me, I just turn the pedals.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 11-23-20, 07:09 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Me, I just turn the pedals.
I'm just happy when I remember which direction to turn them!
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 11-23-20, 07:16 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by rydabent
Or------------------instead of worrying about all that, just get on your bike, and ride how it makes you feel good.
Well, I would assume that if you managed to make your way through the original post in its entirety, you're probably smart enough to ride a bike. Right?

Was hoping that these "pro cyclists" with "20, 30 40 years" experience would be willing to teach the "newbie" some tips on how to become a better biker.

Oh wait, all of these "pro cyclists" commenting on here have never lifted a dumbbell in their life, and the newbie can easily outpace most of them, everyday of the week.

I'm shocked to see this general trend of having zero interest in increasing your physical conditioning or improving yourself. Speaks volumes as to how inhibiting this mindset is with your everyday life.
Old 11-23-20, 10:33 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Well, I would assume that if you managed to make your way through the original post in its entirety, you're probably smart enough to ride a bike. Right?

Was hoping that these "pro cyclists" with "20, 30 40 years" experience would be willing to teach the "newbie" some tips on how to become a better biker.

Oh wait, all of these "pro cyclists" commenting on here have never lifted a dumbbell in their life, and the newbie can easily outpace most of them, everyday of the week.

I'm shocked to see this general trend of having zero interest in increasing your physical conditioning or improving yourself. Speaks volumes as to how inhibiting this mindset is with your everyday life.

Yes, the gym weight lifter will handle heavier weights than the non-gym goer,

but I've watched (guys) perform poorly in multiple sports in spite of, or possibly because of, bulging muscles.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 11-23-20, 10:38 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Many of the gym fanatics that I (saw when there were gyms)

tend to have extreme grimace/ jaw tension, and others seem to count extensive time looking at their phone as part of the workout,

so a gym may not be the best place to look for efficiency and endurance...

I find that scanning for and relaxing any muscle tension that is not needed at that time to be a good practice.
I was in the Navy and at a base that had an gym fanatic. It seemed that every move he made was with dynamic tension. He grabbed the table as he sat down and worked against himself to sit. He had it arranged with the mess cooks that once a month when we got steak, he got a totally raw steak.

Last edited by rydabent; 11-23-20 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-23-20, 10:41 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture

Well see in my case you would be wrong. Even tho I am 82 and ride about 25 miles every other day, I have a set of dumb bells I lift too, for upper body strength.
Old 11-23-20, 10:42 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Yes, the gym weight lifter will handle heavier weights than the non-gym goer,

but I've watched (guys) perform poorly in multiple sports in spite of, or possibly because of, bulging muscles.
Just because you excersise at the gym does not mean you are strong, or weak, and it certainly doesn't do much in terms of overall muscle size alone. Thats mainly dependent on what you eat and how much of it.

Obviously, genetics also plays a major role here. Bodybuilders (lets refer to ones who do not use steroids) have huge muscles because they eat enough calories to gain this much mass.

Training in a smart way while paired with the correct diet will help tone your muscles, tighten up your posture, improve your metabolism, etc. All of which will carry over wonderfully to sports such as cycling.

It all depends on how you wish to take advantage of your genetics, and partly whatever goals you may have in place.

Plus, weight lifting pays significant dividends to your cardiovascular endurance.

Last edited by Moisture; 11-23-20 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-23-20, 10:46 AM
Reflector Guy

I'm mostly just reading this thread. I think it's funny, too, that the newbie is trying to school the guys who have been doing this for 20, 30, even 40+ years.
Its even funnier to those who saw the photo he posted of his bike. It's impossible to take him with any seriousness now.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 11-23-20, 12:03 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Its even funnier to those who saw the photo he posted of his bike. It's impossible to take him with any seriousness now.
Does it have dumbbell holders?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-23-20, 12:27 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I was taught "firm grip, relaxed wrists and arms" as a health measure benefiting a racing cyclist directly. Firm grip - not tight - to ensure the hands stay on the handlebars when unseen potholes are hit or a fellow rider bumps our handlebars. Relaxed wrists and arms so that same contact, only (say) elbow to elbow, doesn't knock us too far off course.

All this so we don't crash because crashes can cost us broken bones (or worse) and weeks or months off training.

Much of the rest of the OPs advice can be had by doing miles on fix gears in low gears like we used to do and observing our position in storefront windows. (I'll admit, I was looking more for "is my back flat - ie low and streamlined" but that has benefited me to this day.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 11-23-20, 01:15 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts

If you have a prejudice against recumbents, please take it elsewhere. This thread is in the General forum, in which all bikes are supposed to be accepted. But you're right in one respect - most of the 'advice' that OP posted such as hovering over the saddle or keeping my back flat doesn't apply to me. I just lie down and spin the pedals.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 11-23-20, 01:29 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I was taught "firm grip, relaxed wrists and arms" as a health measure benefiting a racing cyclist directly. Firm grip - not tight - to ensure the hands stay on the handlebars when unseen potholes are hit or a fellow rider bumps our handlebars. Relaxed wrists and arms so that same contact, only (say) elbow to elbow, doesn't knock us too far off course.

All this so we don't crash because crashes can cost us broken bones (or worse) and weeks or months off training.

Much of the rest of the OPs advice can be had by doing miles on fix gears in low gears like we used to do and observing our position in storefront windows. (I'll admit, I was looking more for "is my back flat - ie low and streamlined" but that has benefited me to this day.
when you press your palms into the handlebars, you should be able to feel your lats as well as a couple different stabilizer muscles under/behind your armpits immediately contract. This sort of contracted position (without overdoing it of course) should apply to pretty much every muscle in your body in a subconscious manner. I

If you have a prejudice against recumbents, please take it elsewhere. This thread is in the General forum, in which all bikes are supposed to be accepted. But you're right in one respect - most of the 'advice' that OP posted such as hovering over the saddle or keeping my back flat doesn't apply to me. I just lie down and spin the pedals.
I have to admit, a rounded back (and not just when biking, but during any aspect of everyday life, such as sitting) is very bad, and should be correctly immediately.
Old 11-23-20, 01:42 PM
Reflector Guy

I'm talking about his mountain bike. His crazy, ill-fitting mountain bike which is about four sizes too small for him.

Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 11-23-20, 01:55 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
I'm talking about his mountain bike. His crazy, ill-fitting mountain bike which is about four sizes too small for him.
Looks like all that firm gripping bent the fork.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-23-20, 02:15 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
u guys are too much XD

As such, have since upgraded to a bike which fits me properly. Do not fear.
Old 11-23-20, 03:21 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10957 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Some Pros seem to do it. I still prefer to pedal in exactly the same way and same cadence as I do in the flats - as smoothly as possible.

For very steep climbs short or long, I do it entirely out of the saddle. I'd be less fatigued if I did that than doing it sitted.
I clearly view 'rowing' in a different way than you an Moist. I have never seen any pro row themselves up a climb. They use what little upperbody they have for leverage, yes, but that doesnt even begin to come close to rowing.
Hey, or maybe Ive been doing its all wrong and Moist is a savant.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-23-20, 03:30 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
But when can I expect to start enjoying cycling?
Well, if you didn't enjoy cycling through the backwoods of Montana in 2019, you've got another eight months before you can try again. Maybe this time you'll enjoy it.

I'm mostly just reading this thread. I think it's funny, too, that the newbie is trying to school the guys who have been doing this for 20, 30, even 40+ years. Me, I just turn the pedals.
See, if you'd stop turning the pedals and turn the crank, you might get there faster!
​​​​​​​
Old 11-23-20, 07:12 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Probably T-Boned a Mazda during one of his early rides before he learned that you do have to look up occasionally ...
Old 11-23-20, 07:26 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Probably T-Boned a Mazda during one of his early rides before he learned that you do have to look up occasionally ...

What?
Old 11-23-20, 09:56 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-26-20, 12:05 PM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
A tight grip makes sense if you’re on an unstable surface or seeking to build your forearm strength.

I ride on on the road for enjoyment so almost never use a tight grip.
Likes For bikehoco:
Old 11-26-20, 02:31 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by bikehoco
A tight grip makes sense if you’re on an unstable surface or seeking to build your forearm strength.

I ride on on the road for enjoyment so almost never use a tight grip.
Actually, a tight static grip on any sort of thick cylindrical is really good for developing good forearm strength.

I actually tend to use a pretty loose grip over rough surfaces to let the front end float over the bumps.

By tight grip, I meant doing so in a way which allows the various stabilizer muscles in your body to activate.
Old 12-14-20, 08:11 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.