Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike fell over, hello dammed Di2 derailleur

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike fell over, hello dammed Di2 derailleur

Old 08-26-19, 11:32 AM
  #1  
NoWhammies
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
NoWhammies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,332

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 106 Posts
Bike fell over, hello dammed Di2 derailleur

<sigh>

So I learned the hard way this weekend that standing your bike up against the curb (using the pedal for support) is a bad idea. I did this then a big gust of wind blew my bike over. On to the Di2 derailleur.

The damage? Bent hanger, which I didn't see. So I decided to go for a ride and WHAMMO! Chain jumped in to the spokes, breaking three of them AND bending the hanger arm all to hell. The ride I was going to do never happened AND I'm out of pocket X dollars to fix this everything. PLUS I'm concerned the Di2 is all jacked up and I'm going to be out of money a whole lot more.

I didn't know whether to cry or yell when it happened. Especially since I always baby my bike. Needless to say, I'm not in a happy mood at the moment.

That is all.
NoWhammies is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 11:46 AM
  #2  
berner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bristol, R. I.
Posts: 4,179

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 231 Posts
kocked over

I had a similar but much milder experience early in my cycling career. I would load my bike into the back of my hatchback vehicle, unknowningly, with the derailler side down. This gradually bent the hanger causing poor shifting that the locoal bike shop quickly put right. The lesson was to load the bike derailler side up but also when leaning the bike against a wall or whatever, such that if it fell or was accidently knocked over it wold land derailler side up.
berner is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 11:47 AM
  #3  
sheddle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,020

Bikes: 1981 De Rosa Professional, 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10, 1984 Univega Competizione

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 191 Posts
this is a bit late to help the OP, but this is why it's a good idea to check both the RD hangar and the limit screws:

a) any time the RD gets banged
b) any time you do anything with the rear wheel, including a rear wheel or freehub change

(i am completely paranoid about testing the RD limit screws after any rear wheel adjustment, maybe to an excessive amount, but hopping the chain into the spokes is one of the worst possible failure modes on a bike)
sheddle is online now  
Likes For sheddle:
Old 08-26-19, 12:37 PM
  #4  
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport
 
FlashBazbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 4,288

Bikes: OPEN new U.P. Di2

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
OP, are you sure the derailleur hanger was bent? Did you reset the rear derailleur ("crash recovery mode") after the drop?

Di2 rear derailleurs are designed to disengage if they receive an impact. If you put them into "crash recovery mode" while turning the cranks, and before you do anything else, they will self-adjust and reset back to normal. Unless, of course, the derailleur hanger was bent before you put it into crash recovery mode.
FlashBazbo is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 12:52 PM
  #5  
Marcus_Ti 
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,138

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies View Post
<sigh>

So I learned the hard way this weekend that standing your bike up against the curb (using the pedal for support) is a bad idea. I did this then a big gust of wind blew my bike over. On to the Di2 derailleur.

The damage? Bent hanger, which I didn't see. So I decided to go for a ride and WHAMMO! Chain jumped in to the spokes, breaking three of them AND bending the hanger arm all to hell. The ride I was going to do never happened AND I'm out of pocket X dollars to fix this everything. PLUS I'm concerned the Di2 is all jacked up and I'm going to be out of money a whole lot more.

I didn't know whether to cry or yell when it happened. Especially since I always baby my bike. Needless to say, I'm not in a happy mood at the moment.

That is all.
Di2 won't be "all jacked up".

First thing is replace the hanger. With the newer RDs it makes it hard to visually eyeball straightness of the cage. If after replacing the hanger and you re-index Di2 shifting is messed up, you made need a new RD cage. At worst you need a wheel repair, an RD hanger, and a new RD. Killing an RD entirely is hard to do (sheering off the mounting bolt knuckle), and you probably only need a new cage at most.
Marcus_Ti is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 01:19 PM
  #6  
xroadcharlie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Windsor Ontario, Canada
Posts: 298

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 40 Posts
Don't feel bad

My own clumsiness did some damage when I dropped my new bike walking it backwards and I stepped on the rear derailler and spokes. At fist glance I thought I was OK.

Untill I went to ride up a steep hill in 1'st gear and the bent derailler got caught in the spokes. Ruined the deraileur and bent the wheel.

$100 later at the lbs and it's better then new. They put on a better rear derailleur and a new chain they said had stretched after 1,000 km, and trued the wheel.

I use a center kickstand on my bike. Their pretty dependable if you careful using it.
xroadcharlie is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 01:22 PM
  #7  
joelcool
Senior Member
 
joelcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 303

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Ugh, that sucks. I'm no help but I feel bad for you. It sucks when stuff like that happens.
joelcool is offline  
Likes For joelcool:
Old 08-26-19, 01:26 PM
  #8  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 27,018
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11421 Post(s)
Liked 3,064 Times in 1,702 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie View Post

My own clumsiness did some damage when I dropped my new bike walking it backwards and I stepped on the rear derailler and spokes. At fist glance I thought I was OK.

Untill I went to ride up a steep hill in 1'st gear and the bent derailler got caught in the spokes. Ruined the deraileur and bent the wheel.
One winter I slipped in my house after I came from riding in wet weather. Had a heavy load in my messenger bag. Fell forward on the side of the bike (Surly LHT) and bent the RD hanger. Figured I would get it fixed in the spring. Of course, I totally forgot. Took the bike out one fine day and decided to climb a steep hill to see just how low the granny gear really was. The minute I shifted to the smallest chainring and largest cog and head the noise, I remember the bent hanger. The cage had gone into the spoke and aspolded into a bunch of pieces. The hanger was twisted like a pretzel. Being a beefy, 36H wheel, it was only slightly out of true. Was a few miles from home. Skateboarded much of the way and walked the uphill part. LBS was able to straighten out the hanger.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 01:28 PM
  #9  
redlude97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,656
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 129 Posts
TBF, if the hanger was bent a mechanical RD would have done the same thing, not a Di2 problem per se
redlude97 is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 01:36 PM
  #10  
mattleegee
Senior Member
 
mattleegee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 107

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo View Post
OP, are you sure the derailleur hanger was bent? Did you reset the rear derailleur ("crash recovery mode") after the drop?

Di2 rear derailleurs are designed to disengage if they receive an impact. If you put them into "crash recovery mode" while turning the cranks, and before you do anything else, they will self-adjust and reset back to normal. Unless, of course, the derailleur hanger was bent before you put it into crash recovery mode.
How do you reset?
mattleegee is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 01:41 PM
  #11  
jadocs
Senior Member
 
jadocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,532

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti View Post
Di2 won't be "all jacked up".

First thing is replace the hanger. With the newer RDs it makes it hard to visually eyeball straightness of the cage. If after replacing the hanger and you re-index Di2 shifting is messed up, you made need a new RD cage. At worst you need a wheel repair, an RD hanger, and a new RD. Killing an RD entirely is hard to do (sheering off the mounting bolt knuckle), and you probably only need a new cage at most.
I don 't think he has the newer group. He posted a pic about a month ago and I recall the cage was straight and not shaped like mine (R8070).

OP...Man really sorry to hear what happened. I would be sick to my stomach as well. How is the rest of the bike?
jadocs is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 02:02 PM
  #12  
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport
 
FlashBazbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 4,288

Bikes: OPEN new U.P. Di2

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by mattleegee View Post
How do you reset?
FlashBazbo is offline  
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 08-26-19, 02:20 PM
  #13  
BengalCat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Brentwood WLA
Posts: 321

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 49 Posts
Checking the derailleur is always a good idea when the bike falls over or the rear bumps up against something.

I was struggling up a 14 percent grade near the end of a climb on a narrow road when a large FedEx truck forced me to far to shoulder and I had to unclip and hit both brakes as the bike rotated counterclockwise and the rear hit the bushes of the adjoining slope. Then I was stuck with trying to figure out the best way to remount the bike on the 14 percent grade. I decided to cross the narrow road at a right angle trusting I could quickly clip in. I was successful only to instantly learn my rear derailleur and hanger were damaged and the chain was locked. Bad things happened after that.
BengalCat is offline  
Likes For BengalCat:
Old 08-26-19, 02:48 PM
  #14  
nomadmax 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,451
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies View Post
<sigh>

So I learned the hard way this weekend that standing your bike up against the curb (using the pedal for support) is a bad idea. I did this then a big gust of wind blew my bike over. On to the Di2 derailleur.

The damage? Bent hanger, which I didn't see. So I decided to go for a ride and WHAMMO! Chain jumped in to the spokes, breaking three of them AND bending the hanger arm all to hell. The ride I was going to do never happened AND I'm out of pocket X dollars to fix this everything. PLUS I'm concerned the Di2 is all jacked up and I'm going to be out of money a whole lot more.

I didn't know whether to cry or yell when it happened. Especially since I always baby my bike. Needless to say, I'm not in a happy mood at the moment.

That is all.
And I thought I was having a bad week, you win.

I hope you get it sorted out as economically as possible.
nomadmax is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 03:18 PM
  #15  
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,430

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 708 Times in 493 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
TBF, if the hanger was bent a mechanical RD would have done the same thing, not a Di2 problem per se
+1 Not much consolation but some.
79pmooney is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 03:38 PM
  #16  
NoWhammies
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
NoWhammies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,332

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs View Post
I don 't think he has the newer group. He posted a pic about a month ago and I recall the cage was straight and not shaped like mine (R8070).

OP...Man really sorry to hear what happened. I would be sick to my stomach as well. How is the rest of the bike?
Thanks. The rest of the bike looked ok, which is why I decided to just get on the bike and ride without looking to see if anything had shifted when the bike fell. Lesson learned.
NoWhammies is offline  
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 08-26-19, 03:52 PM
  #17  
sheddle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,020

Bikes: 1981 De Rosa Professional, 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10, 1984 Univega Competizione

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 191 Posts
clearly the safest solution is to just buy a carbon disc wheel on the back, it pays for itself!
sheddle is online now  
Likes For sheddle:
Old 08-26-19, 09:15 PM
  #18  
NoWhammies
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
NoWhammies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,332

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 106 Posts
Thanks for the sympathy / condolences. I just needed a place to vent!
NoWhammies is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 09:37 PM
  #19  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,693
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 244 Posts
To the OP...go ahead and have a cry. It won’t change things but it may help you feel better. We are in touch with our feelings, so it is OK to cry, well in private anyway.

I had a similar experience (standing the bike against the curb) with my then new Bottecchia. A gust of wind knocked it over and in the fall, the shiny red tube was scratched. Luckily there was no damage, other than a deep scratch. A friend of mine, who is handy with this sort of thing restored the tube to its prior, pristine condition. Lesson learned, I never lean my bikes against the curb.

Hope you can get things sorted out.
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 10:27 PM
  #20  
colnago62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,981
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 114 Posts
I make it a habit not to lean my bike up in a way it can fall derailleur side first.
colnago62 is offline  
Old 08-27-19, 01:41 AM
  #21  
Racing Dan
Senior Member
 
Racing Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,577
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle View Post
this is a bit late to help the OP, but this is why it's a good idea to check both the RD hangar and the limit screws:

a) any time the RD gets banged
b) any time you do anything with the rear wheel, including a rear wheel or freehub change

(i am completely paranoid about testing the RD limit screws after any rear wheel adjustment, maybe to an excessive amount, but hopping the chain into the spokes is one of the worst possible failure modes on a bike)
c) Reinstall the dork disc ...
Racing Dan is offline  
Old 08-27-19, 10:30 AM
  #22  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,203
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4250 Post(s)
Liked 1,247 Times in 712 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies View Post
Thanks for the sympathy / condolences. I just needed a place to vent!
if the lower portion of the derailleur is bent, one of these would replace it for relatively little $$$.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KCNC-Road-B...53.m1438.l2649
noodle soup is online now  
Old 08-27-19, 04:59 PM
  #23  
Kimmo 
bike whisperer
 
Kimmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Melbourne, Oz
Posts: 8,565

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 260 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
if the lower portion of the derailleur is bent, one of these would replace it for relatively little $$$.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KCNC-Road-B...53.m1438.l2649
And then replace the silly metal pulleys with resin ones, also available on eBay in whatever size.
Kimmo is offline  
Old 08-28-19, 08:47 AM
  #24  
NoWhammies
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
NoWhammies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,332

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 106 Posts
Oh, thanks for the find @noodle soup. My bike is in with the LBS for fixing, and they called me to let me know they had located a lower portion of the derailleur. So I think I'll be good.

@Kimmo Not a bad suggestion!
NoWhammies is offline  
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 08-28-19, 04:47 PM
  #25  
Kimmo 
bike whisperer
 
Kimmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Melbourne, Oz
Posts: 8,565

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 260 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies View Post
@Kimmo Not a bad suggestion!
Yeah, I was mildly interested in the big pulley thing until I saw the prices (although the one linked by @noodle soup is heaps cheaper)... so I wondered what I could squeeze into the standard cage on my Red RD - turns out 12 upper / 14 lower fit no worries. There's even narrow/wide available, so I gave that a shot. Works a treat.
Kimmo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.