Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Germi Super Sport '65

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Germi Super Sport '65

Old 04-03-20, 12:24 PM
alexnagui

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Germi Super Sport '65

Here is a bike I picked up last summer. It a Germi Super Sport and I think it might be from 1965 but I am not sure. The Titan bars are marked with '65' so it is not just a guess. The bike needs some work and unfortunately is not 100% original, I believe. The fork is obviously a replacement, which is a bummer, the cranks, pedals and the rear derailleur don't look original to the bike either. I don't have a clear plan yet what I am gonna do with it, but I'll start stripping the frame from the parts soon. It is my size so I am planning on keeping it in any case.

Here is some information about this marque form Klassiekeracefiets:
"Germi was a private brand of Gerrit de Weerd from Hilversum. The name Germi is a contraction of the first names of Gerrit and his wife, called Mien. De Weerd started his business in 1952 and stopped in 1981. At the time, you could order custom frames from De Weerd, which were made in Amsterdam by Jasper Bouma (Jabo) and painted at a different address. The final assembly then took place at De Weerd's shop at 119 Kometenstraat in Hilversum."

Likes For alexnagui:
Old 04-03-20, 12:25 PM
alexnagui

Likes For alexnagui:
Old 04-03-20, 12:58 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
I like the bike a lot but you might want to lose that kickstand.
Old 04-03-20, 01:20 PM
alexnagui

Originally Posted by bikemig
I like the bike a lot but you might want to lose that kickstand.
I know where you're getting at but having a kickstand is quite convenient, to be honest. I'll see
Old 04-03-20, 02:15 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 147 Posts
That's one cool bike !!!!

Agree.....maybe get a better fitting kickstand, or adjust the one on there.**********

Just doesn't seem to look " correct"

Looks in GREAT shape as well !!!!

AWESOME score !!!!
Likes For bikemike73:
Old 04-03-20, 02:29 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked 3,288 Times in 2,148 Posts
-----

lug pattern NERVEX 48/161

shell NERVEX with nozzle cut 158

front Maillard QR skewer a pattern which did not launch until 1973

cycle's Normandy Sport hubs with small round holes were last produced 1966

chainset puzzling, inner face of arms appears to be marked uK 170, is that correct?,blk plastic dustcovers appear to be popout type rather than threaded, chainwheel pattern matches OFMEGA Forgiato, wonder if set could be a brand such as Suarini...

as you say, pedals and rear mech clearly too late for cycle

shall look forward to following along as the experts weigh in

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 04-03-20, 03:03 PM
alexnagui

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

chainset puzzling, inner face of arms appears to be marked uK 170, is that correct?,blk plastic dustcovers appear to be popout type rather than threaded, chainwheel pattern matches OFMEGA Forgiato, wonder if set could be a brand such as Suarini...

-----
Juvela, the marking is DK 170. There is also an extra mark next to that, see the picture. I think they are just some cheap replacement cranks.

Likes For alexnagui:
Old 04-03-20, 03:17 PM
alexnagui

Originally Posted by alexnagui

I was wondering about the front mech. There is clearly a down-tube cable stop for a front derailleur. The braze-on on the seat tube also has a cable stop but the cable routing with these two cable stops doesn't make sense to me.
Old 04-03-20, 03:48 PM
juvela

I was wondering about the front mech. There is clearly a down-tube cable stop for a front derailleur. The braze-on on the seat tube also has a cable stop but the cable routing with these two cable stops doesn't make sense to me.
-----

note the scuff near the letter S of Tourisme

a front mech may have been mounted at some point

cable routing hole in chainguard bracket appears it may be threaded for an adjusting barrel

since rust can be seen in hole it may have been employed at some juncture in the past...

-----
Old 04-03-20, 04:55 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Doesn’t it run to the stop on the NDS and then there is housing from there under the BB and up to the seat tube housing stop? The DR is a bit above that housing stop.
Old 04-03-20, 06:22 PM
juvela

-----

arrangement of chainguard mounting brackets also serving as housing stops reminds me of the pump pegs on this Favorit model F12 of 1979 -

---

arrestors -

is it fairly common for NL producers to combine Alti and Weinmann bits on one cycle?

------
Old 04-03-20, 07:09 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
that's a real find!
BUT...so "germ-y", kind of bad timing.
Old 04-04-20, 09:19 AM
alexnagui

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

arrestors -

is it fairly common for NL producers to combine Alti and Weinmann bits on one cycle?

------
Good question. I don't know, maybe one of them is not original to the cycle.
Old 04-04-20, 11:37 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 1,743 Posts
What a nice find! Beautiful frame. It's a pity pretty much everything else seems to have been replaced over time, except maybe the saddle, seat post, bars and stem.

The "Super Sport" moniker puts in the sixties. It was the popular name at the time for bikes that were in a market segment between "Sport" and "Race". Light, expensive and the best you could have for your Sunday afternoon out. They typically came from established frame builders or well-reputed factories. There are some examples of these bikes to be found online, if you're interested in getting it back to period-correct spec. I'll see if I can find some examples.

These are a couple of my own examples from that period.

A RIH Sport "Super". Built by Willem Bustraan jr. in early 1965. As it came to me, and clearly suffering from the same "upgrade-itis". Only the Campagnolo Record transmission, and maybe the rear rack, are original:

And a Joco "Ronde van Europa" from a couple of years earlier:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 04-04-20, 01:16 PM
alexnagui

Originally Posted by non-fixie
What a nice find! Beautiful frame. It's a pity pretty much everything else seems to have been replaced over time, except maybe the saddle, seat post, bars and stem.

The "Super Sport" moniker puts in the sixties. It was the popular name at the time for bikes that were in a market segment between "Sport" and "Race". Light, expensive and the best you could have for your Sunday afternoon out. They typically came from established frame builders or well-reputed factories. There are some examples of these bikes to be found online, if you're interested in getting it back to period-correct spec. I'll see if I can find some examples.

These are a couple of my own examples from that period.

A RIH Sport "Super". Built by Willem Bustraan jr. in early 1965. As it came to me, and clearly suffering from the same "upgrade-itis". Only the Campagnolo Record transmission, and maybe the rear rack, are original:

And a Joco "Ronde van Europa" from a couple of years earlier:

Thanks, non-fixie! Nice examples you've got. Basically, those Super Sport fietsen were lightweight bikes with upright bars, right?

Here are some examples from oudefiets.nl:

Joco Ronde van Europa

Jan de Reus
Old 04-04-20, 02:55 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Yes, those are the examples I meant to find. Locomotief made some nice ones as well. Search for "Locomotief Tour de France".

I think this was originally one. Bontekoe was a Locomotief dealer, and my guess is that he also got 'blank frames' from them to brand as his own.

Old 04-04-20, 03:18 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

(...) Basically, those Super Sport fietsen were lightweight bikes with upright bars, right?
Yes, and without the chain guards but with drop bars they were usually called "semi-race", I believe. But there were no fixed rules, as "marketing" was already a thing back then.

Here is an article from the "Kampioen", which shows a whole range of models from various companies: Moet er een nieuwe fiets komen?

Old 04-13-20, 09:36 AM
alexnagui

Yes, and without the chain guards but with drop bars they were usually called "semi-race", I believe. But there were no fixed rules, as "marketing" was already a thing back then.

Here is an article from the "Kampioen", which shows a whole range of models from various companies: Moet er een nieuwe fiets komen?
Thanks for the link, very educative!

Yes, those are the examples I meant to find. Locomotief made some nice ones as well. Search for "Locomotief Tour de France".

I think this was originally one. Bontekoe was a Locomotief dealer, and my guess is that he also got 'blank frames' from them to brand as his own.

That's a nice Bontekoe! Too small for you, unfortunately, isn't is?
Have you seen this one here?
Old 04-13-20, 10:14 AM
alexnagui

I finally got around to stripping the frame from all the parts and cleaning and polishing the frame set. I am thinking whether I should touch up the frame with transparant nail polish or somehting like that and then I'll wax it.

The top tube has some small dents which I had not mentioned previously. Let's consider this patina

One of the seatstays is kinda flattened a bit at the joint with the dropout. I believe it was made this way, but it is a bit weird...

The brake bridge is vertically drilled, I actually had a hard time removing the the vertical bolt because it just kept rotating in its aluminimum "body", the nut wouldn't loosen at all. I don't think the bolt is reusable anymore, but I belive I have a set of Mafac Dural forge with a vertical bolt

The braze-on bracket is a little bit broken

I think that I will have to modify the chainguard if I am gonna use a double in front. Like make a slot for the front derailleur, I don't see how it's gonna work without such a modification

I found a serial number: 6716. I might be from 1967, not 65 as I thougth before
Old 04-13-20, 10:17 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

That's a nice Bontekoe! Too small for you, unfortunately, isn't is?
Have you seen this one here?
Thanks. Yes, it is too small, and yes, that is unfortunate.

And I did see the thread on the Oude Fiets forum. I like that the owner got it back on the road the way he did.

This is another Bontekoe I spotted in the wild in The Hague a few years back. Didn't get to speak to the owner, alas.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 04-13-20, 10:20 AM
alexnagui

Thanks. Yes, it is too small, and yes, that is unfortunate.

And I did see the thread on the Oude Fiets forum. I like that the owner got it back on the road the way he did.

This is another Bontekoe I spotted in the wild in The Hague a few years back. Didn't get to speak to the owner, alas.

That's truly a Super Sport!
Old 04-13-20, 10:26 AM
alexnagui

Here are some examples from oudefiets.nl:

Joco Ronde van Europa

I think that I will have to modify the chainguard if I am gonna use a double in front. Like make a slot for the front derailleur, I don't see how it's gonna work without such a modification
Such a modification is to see on that Joco above.
Old 04-13-20, 11:01 AM
alexnagui

I will most likely just leave it as a 5-speed for now. I have a spare Stronglight 49D crankset but I feel like this bike deserves a nice cottered crankset. I will see if I can find one from Stronglight, those are quite rare AFAIK
Old 05-24-20, 09:08 AM
alexnagui

I've given up the idea of finding a nice cottered crankset and instead gotten a chainring from SunXCD which I thought would look nice with Stronglight 49D crank arms.

Ran into a problem with the bottom bracket. I tried installing a cheap sealed 111mm JIS Sunrace unit which looked to be proper length for a Stronglight single. The crank however seems to sit "too close" to the bottom bracket shell, so that some of the little chain ring bolts on the inside hit the bottom bracket shell. Those are original Stronglight bolts, maybe I could use some other ones which won't protrude as much. The chain line with this bottom bracket is around 42mm though, which is correct for 120mm spacing on the rear.
However, there is (almost) no space between the crank arm and the chain guard So I definitely need a longer bottom bracket if I want to use the Stronglight cranks with the chain guard. But how long? A sealed JIS 115mm is already meant for a double. I am afraid that the chain line will be off by too much.
I should have measured the chain line with the original crank, the bottom bracket it came with is a mix of Tange and Shimano with a Shimano D-3NL spindle (122.5mm). That seems like way too long to me!
Aslo, the original crankset seems to have wider "tread" in comparison with the Stronglight, which means more distance between the crank arm and the chain ring.

Old 05-24-20, 11:04 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 355 Posts
Yep. Fitting a new crank/chainset to a bike is always a can o' worms - with or without a chain guard involved. Looks like you need a longer spindle.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.