Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The ultimate RIH source

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The ultimate RIH source

Old 12-23-19, 04:32 AM
nishikiroadace

Bikes: 20

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Operation turned out to be a bit more troublesome than expected. Haven't had much chance to do work to the 1981 RIH, other than cleaning and swap out the front brake

The headset is Dura Ace, rest Cinelli and Campa.
Old 12-30-19, 04:15 AM
jerbo

Bikes: RIH Classic - unknown (yet)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice, I just saved a nice RIH from the scrapyard, in a very nice shape. Fully Campagnolo fitted. Will try to post pics when I am allowed to (only 9 more posts to go...). Frame decal says Bustraan Holland, frame number #833 , anyone got some details on tracing that and find out some bike specs?
Old 12-30-19, 07:47 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,580 Times in 1,762 Posts
Originally Posted by jerbo
Nice, I just saved a nice RIH from the scrapyard, in a very nice shape. Fully Campagnolo fitted. Will try to post pics when I am allowed to (only 9 more posts to go...). Frame decal says Bustraan Holland, frame number #833 , anyone got some details on tracing that and find out some bike specs?
Welcome, jerbo ! Saving a RIH from the scrapyard is always good. Where is the serial number located?

Old 12-30-19, 09:10 AM
jerbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the lower balll head (near fork)!
Old 12-30-19, 10:03 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by jerbo
At the lower balll head (near fork)!
833 is either a pre-war bike, or I'd have expected more. Something like this perhaps?

Old 12-30-19, 11:37 AM
jerbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No its a perfectly clear number '833', very clean. Full Campagnolo Nuovo Record equipped.
Old 04-04-20, 12:16 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

I added another RIH to my own stable. A rather unusual one. The serial number does not jibe with the Amsterdam or Groningen numbering systems, so I'm assuming it came from Blerick. Top tube cable guides and under-the-BB-shell FD cable routing suggest a late seventies build. As does the decal style. And the serial number on the BB shell: 79-113.

I bought it because it is a RIH, it is light, and will take fenders. Should make a nice "randonneuse légčre" for mrs non-fixie.

Even with the steel rims and the sturdy tires, it weighs 10 kgs:

The steel-rimmed wheels and aero brake levers are definitely not original, the rest may well be but is a bit of a mixed bag.

Campagnolo shifters:

Shimano Crane RD:

Weinmann 605 brakes:

Davis BB shell with the serial number:

I guess I found myself another Corona-time project.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 04-09-20, 03:02 AM
spakie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
joined the club

With my eighties RIH
Old 04-09-20, 03:13 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Welcome, spakie!

Pic assist:

Old 04-11-20, 02:56 PM
LeoBoon

Bikes: RiH randonneur 1983 - RIH Sport 1977 - Marinoni 1986 - Rih special 1978 - Marin Verona carbon 2016 - Rocky Mountain Equippe - Trek 970 SingleTrack MTB - Kuwahara

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Hello Mr. Non-Fixie, lovely RiH you bought for Mrs. Non-Fixie. She is going to enjoy that bike. Here are some pictures of mine 79-125 RiH that I bought in late 1982, early 1983 from Wim van der Kaaij. As you will see it is in rough shape and has currently a mismatch of components as I took parts for other bikes I was competing on. In 1982 I returned from a 4 year long journey cycling a RIH Sport around the world from Amsterdam to India, through Asia and North America, before I returned to Amsterdam and to Westerstraat 150 where I had started from. I was welcomed by Wim and his wife and I was offered a new bike. I asked if I could have Willem Bustraan Jr. who at the age of 75 still came in a few days a week to built road racing and track bikes. More about that in my next posting.

As I had joined Club Olympia I needed a racing bike to train and race with. The Roberts racing bike that I had been racing on just did not suit me. Wim agreed and we planned to built me a racing frame later that season, in the mean time he sold me the 79-125 which was secondhand. It was someone's training bike in beautiful shape fully equipped with Campagnolo, Cinelli handlebars with tubular tires.
Wim was a bit vague about the ownership and who had built it. Hence all of these bikes with YY-XXX numbers that we don't know exact heritage off.

In the days in the early 80s I got to spend numerous hours in the workshop upstairs. Watched Wim Bustraan and Wim van der Kaaij at work on various frames, everything, the angles, tube length etc was all calculated in their head. Bustraan was not much of a talker those days where as Van der Kaaij could talk non-stop. Occasionally notes were being scribbled in little notebooks.

Would love to hear from other if there is more information on the background of these RIH bike frames with Year and Number on the bottom bracket

Rough shape from years of riding on rough roads in Canada.

Old 04-11-20, 04:19 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Thanks for posting your 79 125 here, LeoBoon! Much appreciated.

The past few days I've been trying to find out more about this number format, but haven't had much luck yet. I am looking at similar bikes from the late seventies and the early eighties, and if the numbers and their locations are following a particular pattern I'm not yet seeing it.

Old 04-11-20, 04:50 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

About that pattern: I just noticed that steinbra's 791 43, according to the lower head lug .....

... has 79 143 on the BB shell:

More pictures of that bike are in this thread.

Old 04-13-20, 11:17 AM
Tinkel

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
My RIH from 1954
Serial 5429
One of the best if not the best brands holland once had to offer

Likes For Tinkel:
Old 04-13-20, 01:37 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Wonderful example, Tinkel! Thanks for posting it here. Great pictures, too!

Do you know anything about its history?

Old 04-14-20, 02:41 AM
pullup

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Great RIH Tinkel
Very pretty bike
Old 04-14-20, 10:19 AM
LeoBoon

Bikes: RiH randonneur 1983 - RIH Sport 1977 - Marinoni 1986 - Rih special 1978 - Marin Verona carbon 2016 - Rocky Mountain Equippe - Trek 970 SingleTrack MTB - Kuwahara

The workshop above the RIH shop on Westerstraat 150 is where all the magic happened. That is where most beautiful frames where built, and where "vakmanschap is meesterschap" (craftsmanship is mastery) I had the pleasure of watching Willem Bustraan Jr. and Wim van Der Kaaij create superb frames by hand. We all have seen the YT videos of How a RIH is made, seeing VanderKaaij in action. Here are some pictures of Bustraan working on frame 9606 in Nov/Dec 1982.

Fishing the chain stay bridge

Old 04-14-20, 10:27 AM
Tinkel

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Yes it is nice i wont deny that

I just love owning things old as it has a soul

The story is that the 1st owner as a boy wanted to race, but was not allowed by his father.
Somehow went against it and was able to convice the willem bustraan jr that he was worth a rih ....
Funny when dad was looking one day in the monday morning papers he noticed the name of his son in the sports section and wondered if that was his sons name even though he had forbidden him to .... no he was convinced he wouldnt ....

Ill post some more pix

Old 04-14-20, 03:57 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Wow, LeoBoon! I don't think many people have the build of their bike that nicely documented. Very, very cool to see the old master at work. Thank you very much for sharing these pictures.

BTW, very interesting bike as well. Touring bikes from the Amsterdam shop are few and far between. Great to see another one.

Old 04-14-20, 03:59 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by Tinkel
(...)
The story is that the 1st owner as a boy wanted to race, but was not allowed by his father.
Somehow went against it and was able to convice the willem bustraan jr that he was worth a rih ....
Funny when dad was looking one day in the monday morning papers he noticed the name of his son in the sports section and wondered if that was his sons name even though he had forbidden him to .... no he was convinced he wouldnt ....
Thank you. Great story!

Old 04-15-20, 08:37 AM
LeoBoon

Old 04-15-20, 10:08 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Thanks for the additional pictures, LeoBoon !

I find this detail particularly interesting (and puzzling). 09072? Any idea what this number is about?

BTW, if you haven't seen it already, here's the build record from the RIH shop. Confirms both of you are real!

Old 04-16-20, 10:03 AM
LeoBoon

Well Non-Fixie, I was ready to add a comments on the bottom bracket numbers. Here are the photos of the head tube and the bottom bracket. I must confess I did not look at the bottom bracket of this RIH until I got the red 79-125 out of my shed a few years ago. When we communicated via private message we both hoped to get some answers from others on the YY-### bottom bracket mystery.
Here is what I know:
I was in the workshop when Wim Bustraan jr. stamped the head lug numbers 9606 in the frame. I also saw him do it on some other frames. And as you see in the shop pictures there were various cardboard boxes that held BB shells, lugs etc. The BB that RIH used came from Davis Components Ltd, in Four Oaks in the Midlands, UK. Among other products, Davis manufactured many elements used in bicycle frame manufacturing, including sand casted Cinelli style fork crowns. The company was formed in 1928 and dissolved in 2009 after 80 years in business. Their bottom brackets were stamped with their company name, the angle of the seat tube (60) and down tube (62) and a serial number.

Not until I came to work in the Andrew Hague factory in Wales as assistant manager and visited various custom bike builders in their workshop in the UK, Belgium, Northern France and The Netherlands did I understand that most frame builders filed off the Davis serial number. The Andrew Hague ltd company produced braze-on bits for custom frame builder. From brake bridges, ferrules, cable guides, shifter bosses etc. We also sold lugs and tubes (Vitus). We also started a sewing floor and produced pannier bags and undersea pouches etc.

As I might have told you, I got to spend some time with frame builders both in Europe and North America and I found that most of them (not all of them) where not very social, easy to get along people. Some where gruff and with a temper. What I learned though is that most frame builders speak with the flame of their torch, they communicate with steel,. They are masters of frame building, not bookkeepers of records. SO here goes the journey of discovery.

I don't know if others have found themselves with a RIH frame where there are numbers on the head lug and on the bottom bracket, or have frame numbers like 79-125. We love to hear from you or from anyone who has information.

Old 04-16-20, 05:17 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by LeoBoon
(....) I don't know if others have found themselves with a RIH frame where there are numbers on the head lug and on the bottom bracket, or have frame numbers like 79-125. We love to hear from you or from anyone who has information.
That is is a good question, and one that will keep me busy for a few hours this weekend. I have stuck a few RIH-branded frames in my attic over the years that I shall try to dig out and check.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 04-19-20, 11:30 AM
LeoBoon

Framenummer: 000782378

No mystery about where this RiH Bike was made. I had spend months discussing the various components with Wim van der Kaaij including frame angles, gear ratios, centre pull brakes, wider rims, thicker spokes in the rear wheel, etc. We decided to have Cové built a RIH Speciaal, under supervision of Wim van der Kaaij with a more relaxed setup for touring. It was the first Rih bike that would be biked throughout Europe; (Belgium, Germany, France, Switzerland, Italy, Greece) through Turkey, Persia, Afghanistan, Pakistan to India. Besides breaking my fork in the south of India after about 18,000 kilometers, the trip went superb the first year. Broke the same fork a second time in North America in the Rocky Mountains. After almost four years on the bike, through 17 countries and 38.571 kilometers, I cycled back to the Netherlands.
On my return, I was welcomed by Wim van der Kaaij and his wife Rie at Westerstraat 150 where it all began. As I had send pictures, newspaper articles and letters over the years from the countries I travelled through and told the story of RIH everywhere on radio and tv, Wim and Rie offered me a brand new bike. I wanted Willem Bustraan jr. to built me a randonneur bike. I had been riding some 200 and 400 km rides in the USA and Canada and had designed a frame that would be a more relaxed, smooth long distance two wheeler. RiH 9606 (see post #416 & #420)
At that time, late 1982 Wim Bustraan came in to built a frame each week in the upstairs workshop. He had turned 75 years old and he wanted to retire.

The Cové built Rih Speciaal worked great those 4 years of intense touring. I also won a few road races and criteriums in Florida and in Canada on the stripped down RiH touring bike. After I got my other RiH bikes, this RiH 000782378 became my ride around town bike with a straight handlebar. Retired, like me from a life well travelled.

In the Nilgiri Hills, the day I broke my front fork

Riding a day with a fellow Dutchmen who cycled around India on an Indian made Opa fiets

With my friend Norma in Berkeley, California before I cycled across the USA to Miami

A stop in Topeka, Kansas with a new front fork.

Arriving home in Amsterdam

Last edited by LeoBoon; 04-19-20 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Likes For LeoBoon:
Old 04-20-20, 01:57 AM
ciccioformaccio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank very very very much for your post, the story and the magnificent pictures. I would like to know more about your cycle travels. Do you write a book ? Do you publish may me a photographic book ?

I would love to hear more about your travels and your bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.