Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Old 04-10-20, 07:19 PM
VintageTTfan

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 179 Posts

Surprised I found this right now without looking. I think this is a rare picture maybe because never seen this before.......very cool.
Old 04-10-20, 07:58 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, Peugeot Prestige, Alan corsa (frame only), 90s Prophete , previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse, Peugeot Neuilly, Hercules steel city, 60s(?) PON Dutch bike, Enik

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan View Post
Thank you so much Lattz for looking this up. It sounds like a spy novel....not a bike making story. I know that politics have always played a big part in sport though. I could believe most of it almost except the very last part. It makes a great story though.....do I see the first Lo Pro movie here??? The Swiss cheese reference is fitting and I am wishing I had some pumpernickel right now to go with mine.
While it was interesting to read the story (as its really like a spy novel and to finally find some info on the wheel) i also got a bad pppfff no way taste on the not so happy end. I have never heard of olympic teams dying by testing a new wheel. If it happened it would have had a huge media attention even back then. Or if not that, then the punishment the engineers got from the state for the failure. In SU people were most likely killed/tortured/whatevered for smaller things than what this sounds. But i'll try to educate myself on this also because its interesting if fake or not plus im still curious about the wheel itself.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-10-20, 08:08 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, Peugeot Prestige, Alan corsa (frame only), 90s Prophete , previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse, Peugeot Neuilly, Hercules steel city, 60s(?) PON Dutch bike, Enik

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
That looks so yummie!!
+1.... its 4AM in Europe just got to bed as i try to get a bike-like thing for my better half in a somewhat usable, shame-free state. Saw the orig post... f**k i should make a sandwich... no way its 4... comment yummie.. no way... its not a lopro sandwich cancel... few lines down Hello Bianchigirl Thst looks so yummie" biting my mouth not to laugh too loud.
edit: meanwhike got to the guacamole post as well but still laughing

Last edited by Lattz; 04-10-20 at 08:14 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-11-20, 06:03 AM
FlemmingM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Takhion TT bike on ebay

I'm still not qualified for posting links on bikeforum, but do yourself the favor of searching ebay for "Takhion Super Sport time trial pursuit". I would love to own that one, much more than the track version!
Likes For FlemmingM:
Old 04-11-20, 06:21 AM
VintageTTfan

Originally Posted by FlemmingM View Post
I'm still not qualified for posting links on bikeforum, but do yourself the favor of searching ebay for "Takhion Super Sport time trial pursuit". I would love to own that one, much more than the track version!

This is what it looks like folks:

It is not mine....nice though.
Old 04-11-20, 07:24 AM
Lattz

Originally Posted by FlemmingM View Post
I guess most of us here might share your feelings. I would also love to have this especially since in Germany 2 independent brakes are a must by law. Anyway I would not kick any of these out from my wall. We had a Takhion day a few pages back if you are interested

Last edited by Lattz; 04-11-20 at 07:49 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-11-20, 01:30 PM
VintageTTfan

This is hot! Unique looking bicycle from the revered Paletti. Love the unique frame with its flame graphics on the top tube. The saddle is cool, the handle bar stem is sweet, and the rear FIR mag wheel is goodness as usual and matches. I would have preferred a bullhorn for the bars and still with black shiny tape. I am sure you have noticed that not many Paletti lo pros are floating around in the world. I am always looking for more of course. If anyone out there has one in their bike collection or sees a picture of one let us know.
Old 04-11-20, 09:07 PM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 79 Trek 710, 81.5 Trek 950, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
It's not as flashy as many, but I was attracted to this frame. I picked it up near the end of last year. I think I will swap the saddle and maybe the bars. I really like the high flange Suntour Sprint hubs, but not sure about the rims.

Likes For Shrevvy:
Old 04-11-20, 10:29 PM
VintageTTfan

Originally Posted by Shrevvy View Post
It's not as flashy as many, but I was attracted to this frame. I picked it up near the end of last year. I think I will swap the saddle and maybe the bars. I really like the high flange Suntour Sprint hubs, but not sure about the rims.
Not bad.

Here are some more cool Panasonics:

Last edited by VintageTTfan; 04-11-20 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-12-20, 02:13 AM
VintageTTfan

I guess today ended up being Panasonic day. This is a nice looking Panasonic NJS Keirin track frame size 52.5cm. It was being sold for $695 just to give you an idea of what a frame like this would go for. Great color...It reminds me of some Moser paint schemes I have seen......see below.....

Man these Mosers are nice! I would love to have the bottom one.
Old 04-13-20, 08:52 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 179 Posts
I agree with you 100 percent...this thing is HIDEOUS! In fact it is probably the ugliest time trial style bike I have ever seen....and I have seen some ugly ones.
This was never meant to be a production bike, but was an exercise in seeing how much more aero a bike could be made without the big rotating wheel up front remember this was also the company that gave us the lefty front forks )

It was almost unrideable and the only person to ever go more than a few meters -and actually steer- was a champion trials stud Libor Koras.

For whatever it is worth, it is incredible well made. Super high tolerances. All 4 front wheels steer and have little hydaulic drum brakes. Very cool engineering and construction of a very bad idea.
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 04-13-20, 10:01 AM
VintageTTfan

Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce View Post
This was never meant to be a production bike, but was an exercise in seeing how much more aero a bike could be made without the big rotating wheel up front remember this was also the company that gave us the lefty front forks )

It was almost unrideable and the only person to ever go more than a few meters -and actually steer- was a champion trials stud Libor Koras.

For whatever it is worth, it is incredible well made. Super high tolerances. All 4 front wheels steer and have little hydaulic drum brakes. Very cool engineering and construction of a very bad idea.
And one of the strangest bikes I have ever seen! Thanks for the info.
Old 04-13-20, 10:05 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 179 Posts
And one of the strangest bikes I have ever seen! Thanks for the info.
...and it is undeniably hideous.
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 04-13-20, 10:17 AM
VintageTTfan

This is impeccable and a true beauty. First of all it has my all time favorite Holy Grail saddle. It is an op art masterpiece in my opinion. The bull horns and bar tape are good here though a little on the short side. The frame shape is pretty good. The faded red hues of paint look super nice. The disc wheels are to kill for with their cool graphic and colors that match up well. Over all this makes a really stand out ensemble that pops out at you.
Likes For VintageTTfan:
Old 04-13-20, 01:03 PM
Lattz

This is impeccable and a true beauty. First of all it has my all time favorite Holy Grail saddle. It is an op art masterpiece in my opinion. The bull horns and bar tape are good here though a little on the short side. The frame shape is pretty good. The faded red hues of paint look super nice. The disc wheels are to kill for with their cool graphic and colors that match up well. Over all this makes a really stand out ensemble that pops out at you.
Breathtaking.... wanted to make a Paletti post but then it will be Stelbel today...
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-13-20, 01:05 PM
Lattz

Surprised I found this right now without looking. I think this is a rare picture maybe because never seen this before.......very cool.
This is super cool I also haven't seen this yet. I wonder if they were shot together with the Briko one or one is a sequel of the other.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-13-20, 01:11 PM
Lattz

Hideous or not I cant be the only one.... not only nice bikes and cars are inspired by the female body... the engineers started the bike at the back freshly inspired by the Laser poster then at the mid their eyes wandered over to a Darth Vader pic on the wall... and while in the orig post the boss would show the exit to the designer the financial officer would show exit to the boss by firing the designer who saved the price of a second Coda wheel by stealing a Walmart cart. I guess they have learned the lessons they wanted. Thr engineers do not work for our eyes for sure. The thing is ugly period. Im happy it didnt became a trend.

Last edited by Lattz; 04-13-20 at 01:26 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-13-20, 02:03 PM
crank_addict

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 241 Posts
.It reminds me of some Moser paint schemes I have seen......see below.....

Man these Mosers are nice! I would love to have the bottom one.
More from Francesco. Happened to watch this morning >>> one will spot a few significant TT bikes mid vid.

Neato headbadgeOn January 19, 1984 in Mexico City, Moser broke the 1972 hour record of Eddy Merckx. Riding an aerodynamic bike with full disc wheels and skin suit, more advanced than the conventional bike Merckx used in 1972. He set a new record at 51.151 km (31.784 mi).

As a result, in 1997 the UCI banned hour records set on bikes featuring technological advantages. Moser's record would eventually be moved in 1997 to "best human effort". Under the new rules, Merckx's record wasn't broken until 2000.

Last edited by crank_addict; 04-13-20 at 02:41 PM.
Likes For crank_addict:
Old 04-13-20, 03:20 PM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 79 Trek 710, 81.5 Trek 950, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Lattz View Post
This is super cool I also haven't seen this yet. I wonder if they were shot together with the Briko one or one is a sequel of the other.
She's wearing the same thing in this pic...was this part of a catalog or calendar?

Likes For Shrevvy:
Old 04-13-20, 03:24 PM
Lattz

Originally Posted by Shrevvy View Post
She's wearing the same thing in this pic...was this part of a catalog or calendar?

Then it must be from a different series and most likely a calendar since the bike here is a Colnago. The Briko ive posted sold as a Cinelli / Columbus / Campagnolo poster but I always quetioned there if the brands were just added to the photo since usually its either or.... plus in ads you would hide thr brand of the acessories in this case the briko. But its just my guess
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-13-20, 05:18 PM
VintageTTfan

What now seems obvious to me....and should have been obvious earlier probably.....is that a vintage bike store in Berlin called Cicli Berlinetta decided to make some very cool photo shoots of classic bikes with a particular female model to promote their store. The photo shoots have to be recent and not vintage. They are still great photos though. If you go to the facebook page for the store Cicli Berlinetta it will prove my point. Here is how they used one of the posters in the store:

So hopefully that solves the mystery.
Likes For VintageTTfan:
Old 04-13-20, 08:59 PM
VintageTTfan

Originally Posted by crank_addict View Post
More from Francesco. Happened to watch this morning >>> one will spot a few significant TT bikes mid vid.
https://youtu.be/ZY5oHCG08go

Neato headbadgeOn January 19, 1984 in Mexico City, Moser broke the 1972 hour record of Eddy Merckx. Riding an aerodynamic bike with full disc wheels and skin suit, more advanced than the conventional bike Merckx used in 1972. He set a new record at 51.151 km (31.784 mi).

As a result, in 1997 the UCI banned hour records set on bikes featuring technological advantages. Moser's record would eventually be moved in 1997 to "best human effort". Under the new rules, Merckx's record wasn't broken until 2000.
This put a real smile on my face. Thank you for this excellent post crank_addict which was so good I had to comment. If you do not know Italian you can skip through parts of the video to get to the video and pictures.

You know you have achieved a lot when you can sit in a museum dedicated to you while you are still alive! Correct me if I am wrong but that museum seemed to be solely for him. Jeeeez! And you could tell Moser was really enjoying it.....seeing his happiness and big smile is worth watching the video alone. The shots of the time trial bikes is cool and the standard road bicycles are amazing. The shots of the jerseys also is a nice expose of cycling fashion at that time.....very cool. Moser, as I have said before is probably my favorite cyclist. He rode the coolest bikes, looked the coolest, wore the coolest TT gear, and had great achievements in designing bicycles and riding off into cycling glory with class and elegance. Here is a Moser time trial bicycle I would kill for:

This one is really rare and hardly ever seen. This might be my favorite Moser bicycle. First of all it has the utterly fantastic Moser frame shape that is so well known and particular. Then there is the exquisite paint job with its purple fade to pink......heavenly stuff here folks. This exact paint scheme is ultra rare for Mosers. And speaking of ultra rare....Moser disc wheels with purple graphics!!!..........hardly ever seen! These disc wheels are just super cool......like sell your furniture to get them cool.....no your furniture is not worth enough to get these and neither is mine. Black was a good choice for the Concor saddle to balance things out and the pink bar tape is cool to match the bike. This is sweeeeeeet.

Last edited by VintageTTfan; 04-13-20 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-13-20, 09:12 PM
VintageTTfan

Originally Posted by Lattz View Post
Breathtaking.... wanted to make a Paletti post but then it will be Stelbel today...
Still hoping for that Paletti post you promised. Are you able to go out riding by yourself right now in Germany or is it banned?
Old 04-13-20, 11:25 PM
VintageTTfan

I am going post crazy today......here is the last for tonight because I thought you would enjoy a picture of that Paletti I just posted as it hangs in the shop:

Old 04-14-20, 12:05 AM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
I am going post crazy today......here is the last for tonight because I thought you would enjoy a picture of that Paletti I just posted as it hangs in the shop:
Love the wishbone seat tube and stays. Do not love the color.
Likes For SoccerBallXan:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.