AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
Actually, I'd been unable to bike for over a year, due to a car accident in the beginning of 2018. My back and neck got messed up, and I was unable to ride. Then, my right knee had the meniscus torn as well, so I needed surgery and a long recovery period. I'd just started working out again, and I was looking forward to getting back in the saddle. I did have bronchitis in January (I think it was at least), but I was over it when this finally hit me. I didn't end up hospitalized from Covid-19, thank GOD. Apparently, if you do wind up getting hospitalized, it's a sign you're probably not going to make it. At least here in NY.

I've been at home the entire time. I still have episodes in the early morning where I suddenly can't get oxygen into my lungs. If I didn't have an Albuterol inhaler by my side, I have no idea if I'd have made it through. And the inhalers (I'm also taking Cymbicort) are from when I had the bronchitis. I'm going to follow some advice I got from a friend, and that I saw from another member here in the forums,...I'm going to start riding (stationary bike) and try to assist my lungs in getting their volume back. If I don't, there's no way I'll fully recover from this virus.
Please be careful with the terror and fear. Hospitalization for COVID-19 is absolutely NOT a death sentence in New York. My wife and I live and work as health care professionals in NY state and nearly every patient that has been in hospital has been successfully treated and discharged. Yes, some die. Yes, some are much more serious cases and some are so asymptomatic that they are completely unaware that they are carriers. But please, do NOT spread fear, uncertainty and doubt about the outcomes of patients who are receiving skilled care from the very people who are committed to treating those who are sick, despite worrying for their own health, and that of all of the people we love. We're human here in the hospital, and damn it- we're literally killing ourselves keeping people alive.
Old 04-08-20, 11:11 PM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster View Post
Please be careful with the terror and fear. Hospitalization for COVID-19 is absolutely NOT a death sentence in New York. My wife and I live and work as health care professionals in NY state and nearly every patient that has been in hospital has been successfully treated and discharged. Yes, some die. Yes, some are much more serious cases and some are so asymptomatic that they are completely unaware that they are carriers. But please, do NOT spread fear, uncertainty and doubt about the outcomes of patients who are receiving skilled care from the very people who are committed to treating those who are sick, despite worrying for their own health, and that of all of the people we love. We're human here in the hospital, and damn it- we're literally killing ourselves keeping people alive.
Well, I'm glad to hear that. I will say, as an MTA employee, our ranks aren't doing as well as the rest of the city's other residents. I'm talking, I guess, from my point of view, and from my coworkers as well. I'm glad you have a better perspective on this. I'm not spreading fear,...so don't assume that's my agenda. My statement has nothing to do with the lack of care the health care professionals are providing, it's because of the lack care that the powers that be have been responsible for. Considering the fact that staff in the hospitals have inadequate ppe, equipment, and are now understaffed, I feel my take on it is quite accurate. I wish there weren't refrigerated trailers located at all the hospitals, with bodies being stacked up. I wish we weren't having this discussion at all.

Anyway, thanks for the well wishes. I'm speaking from my perspective. If you're not happy with it, so be it.

Last edited by tds101; 04-09-20 at 11:25 AM.
Likes For tds101:
Old 04-11-20, 11:30 AM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

My doctor called this morning,...and I'm cleared (again) for my return to work tomorrow. I've been out for over 14 days with this, and today is the first day that I don't have any cough at all. Feels good, but I'm still worrying that the symptoms will return. TBH I'd immediately call out sick and quarantine again. Fortunately, I can get the quick test to see if I'd been reinfected if that happens. I plan on taking precautions to prevent that from occuring.
Old 04-11-20, 11:49 AM
Clyde1820

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 112 Posts
Glad to hear you're nearly back to normal, TDS. "Sucks" is a good way to describe serious respiratory ailments. Hopefully, you'll remain bug-free from now on. Good luck.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 04-11-20, 06:27 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 649 Posts
My doctor called this morning,...and I'm cleared (again) for my return to work tomorrow. I've been out for over 14 days with this, and today is the first day that I don't have any cough at all. Feels good, but I'm still worrying that the symptoms will return. TBH I'd immediately call out sick and quarantine again. Fortunately, I can get the quick test to see if I'd been reinfected if that happens. I plan on taking precautions to prevent that from occuring.
Congratulations on being a success story! This is inspirational to all of us, I think it is safe to say.
Likes For wgscott:
Old 04-11-20, 10:34 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,097 Times in 708 Posts
So far I don’t know anybody that has become ill. So reading this thread has helped me get a perspective of what is going on. I’m sick of feeling like a prisoner but will take the precautions not to become sick or make some else sick.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 04-12-20, 05:18 PM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by sirjag View Post
after sister/brother got sick they called the ER, did a screening over the phone. When they disclosed spring break activities and recent flight from CO they were instructed to do drive up test. Test came back about 30hrs later. They were instructed to take Tylenol every four hours to keep Fever down (this worked, dropped to 100-102 then back to 105 after 4-6hrs), and to only come back to hospital via AMBULANCE if shortness of breath and difficulty breathing. Neither of them got worse over the next 6 days, and generally felt a tiny bit better every day until they were back to 100%.

Father is not feeling better each day. we worry.

JAG
Father has fully recovered now as well. Took much longer for him than his daughter (in twenties).

I'm glad the OP is better now too!!

JAG
Likes For sirjag:
Old 04-12-20, 08:42 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 195 Posts
My wife and youngest son seem to be asymptomatic. My wife has had minor cold like symptoms that have since subsided, and my 15 yo son had the itchy/scratchy throat that went away on it's own.
Did you wife and son test positive or did doctors tell you/them to assume they have it?

I've been self isolating pretty rigorously for 2+ weeks now, and 6 days ago I came down with a swollen throat, that was ever so slightly sore, that I am now on the upswing from, hmmmm, luckily I was able to get a test, a nasal swab, it came back negative, but poking around online, there is a %20 false negative rate on the nasal swab tests. I'd love to believe that I had a mild case, but I'm skeptical that is true. How a "cold" got to me with the self isolation and almost neurotic hand cleaning/sanitizing I was doing is puzzling, when there is obviously a much more infectious virus around.
Old 04-13-20, 10:59 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 4223 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 469 Posts
Could be allergies.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 04-13-20, 01:18 PM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
Did you wife and son test positive or did doctors tell you/them to assume they have it?

I've been self isolating pretty rigorously for 2+ weeks now, and 6 days ago I came down with a swollen throat, that was ever so slightly sore, that I am now on the upswing from, hmmmm, luckily I was able to get a test, a nasal swab, it came back negative, but poking around online, there is a %20 false negative rate on the nasal swab tests. I'd love to believe that I had a mild case, but I'm skeptical that is true. How a "cold" got to me with the self isolation and almost neurotic hand cleaning/sanitizing I was doing is puzzling, when there is obviously a much more infectious virus around.
My wife and son aren't eligible to get tested, so I don't know if they were sick or not. They exhibited some symptoms, very mild. Slight sore, itchy/scratchy throat, a little sinus congestion (dry, no discharge),...but that's about it. No way to tell if they were truly infected, unless they get truly sick. And I'm better, but now it's definitely my dang allergies. Ugh,...no winning this time of year.

As for you, relax. It could have been/be allergies. Just maintain the quarantine, and catch up on some shows. This is really out of our hands now. Be safe, and stay healthy.
Old 04-13-20, 07:39 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 195 Posts
They exhibited some symptoms, very mild. Slight sore, itchy/scratchy throat, a little sinus congestion (dry, no discharge),...but that's about it. No way to tell if they were truly infected, unless they get truly sick.
Thats roughly what I went through, not very sick, maybe a 3 or 4 out of 10, my test came up negative though...

And I'm better, but now it's definitely my dang allergies. Ugh,...no winning this time of year.
Good to hear you're better! That has to be a huge relief! I don't get allergies thankfully, but it's still winter here anyway...

As for you, relax. It could have been/be allergies. Just maintain the quarantine, and catch up on some shows. This is really out of our hands now. Be safe, and stay healthy.
I have no pressing reason to break self quarantine :-) My fleet of bikes is looking pretty nice right now I'll say!
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 04-14-20, 01:37 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer srf8; brompton sturmey archer srf8; brompton m6r; dahon speed d7

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
whising you get better soon and full recovery.

My sister gets covid here in Rio de Janeiro, she is 37, great health, runner for half marathon, and it hits mildly, small fever, cough, but she lost bolth smell and tasting senses for two weeks...
She is recovered now...whe are all scared out here.
Likes For BromptonINrio:
Old 04-14-20, 10:35 AM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Originally Posted by BromptonINrio View Post
whising you get better soon and full recovery.

My sister gets covid here in Rio de Janeiro, she is 37, great health, runner for half marathon, and it hits mildly, small fever, cough, but she lost both smell and tasting senses for two weeks...
She is recovered now...we are all scared out here.
Be strong, if not for you, but for all of your loved ones. You'll be good my friend. And I'm happy to see your sister is doing well,... 🙏
Old 04-14-20, 11:43 AM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts
First of all I'm glad OP has recovered and his family doing well. Speedy recovery to those who are still suffering. Condolences to our friends who lost loved ones. Very tough times.

I was going to post a separate thread but since we have this why need a new one. I think I had the virus with very mild symptoms. Here's my journey:
  • Three weeks ago I started working from home and as soon as I did I started to feel tired and feeling little tightness in my chest. In the beginning, I attributed this to working from the cold & dark basement. My sinuses were also congested. I continued riding my bike but with a shorter duration and lower intensity. I was also feeling a bit depressed so didn't want to push myself as usual anyways.
  • After a week I chest tightness got worse. Still no fever, cough, or dizziness etc. I felt good in the mornings but afternoons started to feel sluggish. Still riding my bike but needed to rest about an hour as soon as I came home.
  • Late Feb-early March I started having fevers. My avg morning temp was around 98.5. Around 5 pm it would go near 100 and around 101 around 9 pm. I started taking Tylenol which def helped. This cycle went on for about a week to 10 days. I cracked 102 only once.
  • Then I started to lose my taste and smell. I initially attributed that loss to very heavy nasal congestion like I've never had in my life. I was also having headaches. However, my smell and taste were gone even when I wasn't congested.
  • I called our insurance. First I talked to a nurse and they quickly set up a video call with a doctor. It was two Saturdays ago. The first thing she asked was if I was coughing up anything and if I had a high fever. No to both questions. She said I didn't clear testing criteria and should manage it at home staying isolated.
  • At this moment I was able to get on the trainer once for a 30 min very slow ride that ended with me recovering almost an hour laying on the couch. That's when I decided no more exercising and focused for a full recovery. I had already been sleeping 10-12hrs a night and taking naps whenever I can during the day. I wasn't super dead like some other people but would definitely be without resting that much.
  • I had been feeling hopeless until last Saturday. My chest started to open up a bit on that day. I could breathe better. I could feel the extra oxygen in my system. I didn't need to take Tylenol since mid-week. I started to feel energetic the whole day. Sunday was much much better. I went out for a walk around the block. Today I was able to ride about 45min on the trainer watching 2017 PR. My smell hasn't come back yet but I'm super fortunate I can breathe better now and feeling 90% healthy.
There are a lot of issues with our healthcare system. The whole testing procedure sucks big time. Whatever I had is almost behind me. Now I want to get a serology test but not sure if I can get one anytime soon. How long should I stay away from other people? 2 weeks? Three weeks? There is no plan to return to normal life. However, there is huge optimism in the air re return to normality. I am not very positive though. I feel like we will all say F it at some point (mid-summer is my guess) and live with the consequences. I hope I'm wrong but looking at our historical record in the US is not very promising. Wishing everyone a healthy future.
Likes For rower2cyclist:
Old 04-14-20, 12:32 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 83 Posts

‘Heroes moving heroes’: Public transit workers pay heavy price on coronavirus frontline

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/he...AQS?li=BBnb7Kz
Likes For CycleryNorth81:
Old 04-14-20, 12:47 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: 1989 Club Fuji, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1, 1989 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1997 Gary Fisher Big Sur, 2001 GT i-drive Race, Iro Mark V, a bunch more

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 87 Posts
Glad to hear you are doing so much better, Doug. Best wishes.
Everyone else, too.
Likes For Rage:
Old 04-14-20, 12:49 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: 1989 Club Fuji, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1, 1989 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1997 Gary Fisher Big Sur, 2001 GT i-drive Race, Iro Mark V, a bunch more

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 87 Posts
And you don’t seem so grumpy or old...
Old 04-14-20, 03:46 PM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Originally Posted by Rage View Post
And you donít seem so grumpy or old...
Shhh,...don't tell anyone.
Old 04-24-20, 11:06 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 83 Posts

Coronavirus can live up to 72 hours on bus and subway surfaces, Cuomo says

https://nypost.com/2020/04/24/corona...urfaces-cuomo/
Old 04-25-20, 11:12 AM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post

Coronavirus can live up to 72 hours on bus and subway surfaces, Cuomo says

https://nypost.com/2020/04/24/corona...urfaces-cuomo/
Quite possibly longer, considering the conditions of the train cars ATM,...

These images are only a small idea of what's going on in NYC. The last image is what an average train car looks like now, with almost all benches/seats taken up by the homeless. Now, imagine 8-10 cars, with a minimum of 4+ cars being completely filled with the homeless. Add to that the inability to clean these cars at all,...and the fact most of the homeless are sick. Now think about what the riding public, AND the MTA employees are subjected to on a daily basis. This is my reality here in NYC.

PS: Before someone mentions the fact that no one is wearing masks, gloves, social distancing, etc, this was even BEFORE the pandemic hit. It's way worse now. And with the diminished train service due to sick MTA employees, the cars are STILL packed,...with essential employees.

Last edited by tds101; 04-25-20 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-30-20, 03:51 PM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

I'm finally having antibody testing done on Fri 5/1/2020,...
Old 04-30-20, 06:58 PM
gregf83 

Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 104 Posts
I'm finally having antibody testing done on Fri 5/1/2020,...
Are you back at work full time now?
Do you know which test you are getting as some are more accurate than others (https://covidtestingproject.org/)?
Will you behave any differently if the tests indicate you have antibodies?
Old 04-30-20, 07:06 PM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
Are you back at work full time now?
Do you know which test you are getting as some are more accurate than others (https://covidtestingproject.org/)?
Will you behave any differently if the tests indicate you have antibodies?
I've been back to work as of 4/19/2020.
I have no idea which test I'm receiving, as it's through my employer (MTA/NYCT).
No, I will continue to take all necessary precautions to prevent (possible?) reinfection, and prevent transmission to my family, friends, and coworkers. (I find the last question a bit, strange, as I can still infect others if I don't follow proper hygiene protocols).

Last edited by tds101; 04-30-20 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-30-20, 08:14 PM
gregf83 

Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 104 Posts
I've been back to work as of 4/19/2020.
I have no idea which test I'm receiving, as it's through my employer (MTA/NYCT).
No, I will continue to take all necessary precautions to prevent (possible?) reinfection, and prevent transmission to my family, friends, and coworkers. (I find the last question a bit, strange, as I can still infect others if I don't follow proper hygiene protocols).
Well presumably if you have immunity from the virus you wouldn't be shedding virus to others. At some point we'll have confirmation or not on whether the presence of antibodies imply immunity. If I didn't have antibodies and I was required to work while being exposed to CV I would be shaving and wearing an N95 mask vs something less protective.
Old 04-30-20, 08:38 PM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
Well presumably if you have immunity from the virus you wouldn't be shedding virus to others. At some point we'll have confirmation or not on whether the presence of antibodies imply immunity. If I didn't have antibodies and I was required to work while being exposed to CV I would be shaving and wearing an N95 mask vs something less protective.
I wear an N95 mask at work, and I'd continue to do so. Even with antibodies, who's to say I couldn't be reinfected with a different strain. Safety first,...especially with the conditions I'm required to work in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.