Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Old 04-14-20, 04:29 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, Peugeot Prestige, Alan corsa (frame only), 90s Prophete , previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse, Peugeot Neuilly, Hercules steel city, 60s(?) PON Dutch bike, Enik

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan View Post

What now seems obvious to me....and should have been obvious earlier probably.....is that a vintage bike store in Berlin called Cicli Berlinetta decided to make some very cool photo shoots of classic bikes with a particular female model to promote their store. The photo shoots have to be recent and not vintage. They are still great photos though. If you go to the facebook page for the store Cicli Berlinetta it will prove my point. Here is how they used one of the posters in the store:

So hopefully that solves the mystery.
Oh yeah, deep diving in shame as I might be the closest sitting thread member to said candy store, and also a regular visitor on their page, @VintageTTfan you are right, it's them. Although, to cover my bum, I have to admit, I have never got past the first photo on the page (usually I go directly by the links to the bike I'm interested in, not to the page). I was staring at it for minutes, how well composited with the gal, the red background and the red bike. Then like struck by a lightning I realized its the most desirable thing I've ever encountered in my life and missed out by being lame - an Andrea Cinelli Cinettica Giotto.

I will never ever forgive myself for not buying it when I had the chance and money and for long years I was not even able to look at it and its siblings. So back to the topic I closed the page immediately, thinking maybe later. But the pics are really well done also the others CB knows how to do business and advertising as well. I feel it kind of controversial that they advertise "don't believe the hype, ride a classic bike for the fun, not for the hype or fashion" while they and the likes are deeply responsible for said hype. But as each coin has two sides, the rise of the classic bike (and classic everything) helped to save hundred thousands of nice bikes from being scrapped. On the other hand, it also helped to make them expensive "valuable objects" not affordable for many passionate cyclists, but for rich hipster kids and/or serious investors and shops.

Enough words for today... from now on, less words and I'll let the pictures talk.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-14-20, 05:20 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, Peugeot Prestige, Alan corsa (frame only), 90s Prophete , previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse, Peugeot Neuilly, Hercules steel city, 60s(?) PON Dutch bike, Enik

Still hoping for that Paletti post you promised. Are you able to go out riding by yourself right now in Germany or is it banned?
I also said Stelbel first.... It's allowed to go out cycling/exercising alone or with family members 1 person living in the same household as well. Its good that you asked note, if any of you going out, note, that while for talking on the street the required minimum distance is 5 feet (1.5 meters), for cycling its 65! (20 meters) according to medical studies, keep in mind to be on the safe side. For me what keeps me from cycling is the parental duties and the backlogs in work piling up in the mobile office, as I'm by far not as efficient with my little one jumping on my back as in the office.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-14-20, 06:08 AM
Lattz

I wanted to post this Stelbel Pista since ages. According to CycleEXIF, the owner wanted to renew it with disc wheels and all the fancy stuff he can get, but changed his mind and went for originality. As for me, it was a good decision, and Stelio Belletti, the founder of the brand was also happy with the result. Simple and beautiful, I really like the seat section incl. the 3TTT saddle, the welding work they made them famous really shines here, and the fork mounted handlebars (especially this one with the smart solution using a normal stem) seem to be my weak spots.. love it!!!

Last edited by Lattz; 04-14-20 at 06:54 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-14-20, 07:09 AM
Lattz

Okay, why not top it up with one more Stelbel? I'm not 100% sure if I've seen this here or somewhere else earlier, but spectacular for sure. It has everything one likes in such bikes, some might not like the cubist interpretation of the Moser La Hora base form, but I'm not in that group.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-14-20, 09:06 AM
Lattz

Shoot me if this was posted before, or just stop for a moment of pure admiration. It is really hard to miss VintageTTfan 's stunning Ghibli (well worth a visit to the first post in the thread if you didn't come that way) by searching for Paletti, as it might be one of the most re-posted bike from the brand and absolutely not without reasons (congrats again and again). The story of Luciano Paletti and why he is considered as one of the most creative well ahead-of-time builders also worths a read, but as I promised, I STFU for today, so I try to keep word count down, here's my take:

So far I haven't find other pics of this. This was the first Paletti I've seen in my life, never heard about them before (also true, that back then in the middle of my Bianchi times, I did not even care much about other brands, besides the 3 big ones from Italy, now its quite the opposite, I respect them, but the more interesting stories were written by smaller shops or guys quitting the major brands). I do not teven know the dating of this, The hidden brakes which bought me instantly. Such a solution is still not common these days, man would expect it from Look on their speaceship-TT bikes, guess Mr. Paletti is not praised for nothing. Beautiful curves, nice RossoCorsa (fav!) painting with the cards... pure wonder...

Bonus content 1 : looks like an orig. vintage pic of the prorotype, most likely at some exhibition

Bonus content 2: another TT, also nice, but I'm not a great fan of the US any (incl the Italian colors, even if I could claim they are Hungarian ) flag paintings on bikes, but understand olympics, etc...

Bonus3: this ad is simply hilarious

reminds me to one of my all time favorite ads from Lamborghini, where they explain in several different ways what are the chances of certain random things to happen to you, and how much less your chances are to own a Reventon Roadster...

Last edited by Lattz; 04-14-20 at 12:25 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-14-20, 05:43 PM
crank_addict

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 241 Posts
Monsieur Chrono

And here's Anquetil, circa 1953.

Last edited by crank_addict; 04-14-20 at 05:59 PM.
Likes For crank_addict:
Old 04-15-20, 01:41 AM
VintageTTfan

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Lattz View Post
Shoot me if this was posted before, or just stop for a moment of pure admiration. It is really hard to miss VintageTTfan 's stunning Ghibli (well worth a visit to the first post in the thread if you didn't come that way) by searching for Paletti, as it might be one of the most re-posted bike from the brand and absolutely not without reasons (congrats again and again). The story of Luciano Paletti and why he is considered as one of the most creative well ahead-of-time builders also worths a read, but as I promised, I STFU for today, so I try to keep word count down, here's my take:

So far I haven't find other pics of this. This was the first Paletti I've seen in my life, never heard about them before (also true, that back then in the middle of my Bianchi times, I did not even care much about other brands, besides the 3 big ones from Italy, now its quite the opposite, I respect them, but the more interesting stories were written by smaller shops or guys quitting the major brands). I do not teven know the dating of this, The hidden brakes which bought me instantly. Such a solution is still not common these days, man would expect it from Look on their speaceship-TT bikes, guess Mr. Paletti is not praised for nothing. Beautiful curves, nice RossoCorsa (fav!) painting with the cards... pure wonder...

Bonus content 1 : looks like an orig. vintage pic of the prorotype, most likely at some exhibition

Bonus content 2: another TT, also nice, but I'm not a great fan of the US any (incl the Italian colors, even if I could claim they are Hungarian ) flag paintings on bikes, but understand olympics, etc...

Bonus3: this ad is simply hilarious reminds me to one of my all time favorite ads from Lamborghini, where they explain in several different ways what are the chances of certain random things to happen to you, and how much less your chances are to own a Reventon Roadster...can be watched here
Sorry just getting back to you but been busy trying to find protective gear for my family and a restaurant worker to fight this virus. Was walking around Walmart today in a full mask 3M P95 respirator and I felt like I was in a science fiction movie. This whole situation is so surreal it feels like a movie. I hope no matter what religious beliefs you have that everyone is praying.....just saying that if everyone prays and keeps to the rules of social distancing and careful behavior it will make a difference. Not that you have not heard it before but it seems reasonable to mention it occasionally. I was shocked to see some young couples totally without masks or even a bandanna or wrap around scarf at the Walmart....which is gambling with your life. Okay enough of that for a while.

The red Paletti at the top is a very special bicycle obviously. In fact it was a prototype I believe. The shape and curve of that seat tube is quite simply exquisite....one of the best I have ever seen. It gives the bike the feel of a panther that is rearing back in order to pounce forward with blinding speed. The shape of the whole frame is just super nice. The paint job and the frame makers signature are really nice too. This bicycle had advanced stuff on it like the hidden brakes as you said with the super cool Paletti playing cards that I love so much. Looks really cool and like you said "Why wasn't this solution used more?" The guy holding the bike is the son who took over I believe....so he is a Paletti if I am correct and it is cool to see him holding the bike.

Thanks for the compliment on my bike by the way in the first post of this thread. I love it but it is a lot of work...owning these machines is expensive and time consuming WARNING!

That is Paletti's wife with the second prototype I believe. That is a very cool looking bike too with great FIR wheels and I think that is the Paletti factory.

I will disagree with you about flag paint schemes on bikes. I love them....but each to their own. This Los Angeles Cronos is a KILLER and beautiful bike though.....I love everything about it...from the American flag...Olympic pedigree, beautiful and perfect matching blue Rolls saddle, awesome disc wheels, would kill for this bike.

Your ads are cool and I love ads so nice touch. Your post is fantastic of course and you have really been increasing the quality of the thread/blog since you have become a member. Thanks for that....now we just have to come up with an official title for you....give me time.....and don't hesitate to be wordy...words are good....if anyone does not like it they can jump in Niagra Falls......

Here is a very very rare Paletti I just stumbled on that I never saw before (does not happen often):

It has similar decals to mine but a different frame shape. I love that front Negrelli disc wheel wich I have never seen before. Super rare and cool tri color graphic.

Last edited by VintageTTfan; 04-15-20 at 01:50 AM.
Old 04-15-20, 02:06 AM
VintageTTfan

Originally Posted by crank_addict View Post
Monsieur Chrono

And here's Anquetil, circa 1953.
Thanks for the excellent post and the education...I will have to read up on it. I love these old racing pictures from the glory days of cycling....they always have so much drama about them and they seem cinematic to me....maybe the effect of black and white. Thanks!
Old 04-15-20, 02:17 AM
VintageTTfan

Just a little something to keep you entertained. I do not see a heck of a lot of De Rosa lo pros. They are out there but not a ton of them like Colnago or Rossin. This is one of the nicest ones by them I have seen. Nice frame shape and the Turbo saddle looks good here. Turbo did make an iconic saddle.
Old 04-15-20, 04:36 AM
VintageTTfan

A few cool odds and ends:

I like the look of the carbon weave....looks cool for sure.

Absolutely KILLER disc wheel sets!!! I would kill for these.....these must be incredibly rare because I have never seen them and believe me I would remember these. If anyone can find more pictures of these ...especially installed on a bike then super Kudos and Bonus Points....and not just DiscJet but these exact ones. I love this ad. All I can say is good luck......

I can see it now...."Pull over the car! Stick em up! Give me all those wheels and no one gets hurt!" It would be better than a Brinks truck armed robbery and the wheels might just be worth more. I love oddball strange pictures like this from the vintage TT universe. If you find any more post em here!

Last edited by VintageTTfan; 04-15-20 at 04:48 AM.
Old 04-15-20, 10:32 AM
VintageTTfan

Prepare for a blitz of kaleidoscopic proportions folks as I unveil a cornucopia of seldom seen vintage lo pros:

One of the strangest and most colorful paint schemes with matching disc wheels I have seen.....and you know what?............I like it. Reminds me of a multi-color laser show. Definitely unique and also an obscure make. I will call this the Lazer Dazer.

This is one of the reasons I love the strange and wondrous galaxy of vintage TT....it is a hidden part of the universe where unique machines like this dwell. Look at this thing! I am going to nickname it the Tiger Eye. Its a MOBIUS folks...anyone know anything more about this brand? The frame shape is great, nice white saddle, but obviously it is the paint scheme with the incredible tigeer stripe with eye shape in the middle that makes this shine. Even the seat post and bar stem are orange. I want this hanging from my ceiling.

I will call this the Tangerine Slice. I like the frame shape and the paint job....juicy!

I call this the Bubblegum Machine. I love the frame....Daccordi does some of the best. The disc wheels and the rest I am not so sure...but it earns its name and is unique as promised.

I will call this Cherries and Cream Dream Machine. The FIR wheels are to die for of course....and the lumbar saddle contraption is bizarre and wonderful of course (always wanted one, just can't spend most of the rent money on it). Nice paint scheme with lovely chrome forks.

Is this in bad taste or is this the Polar Candy Snowflake Blitz?!? I can't make up my mind....I will let you make up yours.....but strange enough to include.

This is more tasteful with its nice frame shape and color combo that reminds me of an Italian confection. Therefore I name this the Italian Nougat Speed Jet

I call this the Citrus Menace......possibly the worst name ever for a bike. This one I include for the unique disc wheels I have never seen. It is a nice frame and paint scheme (even if often seen).

And just to prove my bike naming skills are quickly going down the drain (some would say they were from the start).....I call this the Purple Whirlpool. But this is an elegant bike. It is a great make and paint scheme and I love the road bike twin of this. Oh and people, please avoid the sin of non-matching tires.

And since the theme of this demented post was color I felt I had to include this super cool Mapei aero helmet from back in the day...yes you heard that right....Mapei helmet:

Hope you enjoyed this more light hearted post of questionable taste.

Last edited by VintageTTfan; 04-15-20 at 10:39 AM.
Likes For VintageTTfan:
Old 04-15-20, 11:17 AM
VintageTTfan

And to balance things out a bit....A model of good taste:

Old 04-16-20, 10:05 AM
Lattz

In 2 Sep 1994 Miguel Indurain broke the hour record by becoming the first man going over 53kms (53.040) on a Pinarello Espada as many of us know. While the bike is really interesting for many reasons (only 4 were made especially for him, it weighed 7.5 kgs, not bad, lovely Banesto colors, there's one on ebay for a modest ~110k USD) at least for me, on this post the most interesting thing is the crank, or the chain ring. So this is the time, I officially admit I was wrong VintageTTfan and malcala622 and you guys were right. It exists, and yes, it is a team (better said superhero) issue.
It only appeared on this ribbon-painted version on the bike as far as I see. And while it was never a question if it looks good (hell it is!), this makes it somewhat more special. Case closed.

Last edited by Lattz; 04-16-20 at 10:10 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-16-20, 10:48 AM
VintageTTfan

CONGRATS Lattz !!!

You cracked the case....solved the mystery!

And that leads me to give you your official title (I do not give these things out often or easily) in the administration of TT Land......You are now Chief Detective Sherlock "Campy" Holmes...its official.

Hard at work.......
Likes For VintageTTfan:
Old 04-16-20, 11:58 AM
Lattz

thanks! I went by a method which usually work for me when I'm desperately searching for something (usually tools, parts or things in the house i remeber i saw somewhere not long ango many times) without success: I start to search for something else, since always those things pop up what you were searching for at other times, not the one you are searching at the moment.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-16-20, 01:55 PM
VintageTTfan

I want my own set of Olympic wheels!
Old 04-16-20, 04:16 PM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 79 Trek 710, 81.5 Trek 950, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts

I want my own set of Olympic wheels!
Is that a triple up front and long cage derailleur? Must be the touring set up
Likes For Shrevvy:
Old 04-16-20, 08:30 PM
VintageTTfan

Originally Posted by Shrevvy View Post
Is that a triple up front and long cage derailleur? Must be the touring set up
I just want the wheels.
Old 04-17-20, 08:43 AM
Lattz

A few cool odds and ends:

The TT helmets are really cool things, this one for example can also be used out of the box as film prop or cosplay costume as well.

If you ask me, cooler than the original, does not suit the topic of the blog but why did artillery guys needed aero helmets on a space base might be a good question.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-19-20, 02:00 AM
VintageTTfan

Just a really nice Colnago. Decent handlebars but not my favorite. The paint scheme is not one of the common ones and is very nice. Disc wheels are great of course but could have done without the added stickers (the Migliorelli ones). 99.999999 times out of a hundred adding stickers to a classic vintage bike is a blasphemy. The rest of the time it is still a bad idea. Nice saddle too.

Last edited by VintageTTfan; 04-19-20 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-19-20, 09:50 AM
VintageTTfan

The TT helmets are really cool things, this one for example can also be used out of the box as film prop or cosplay costume as well.

If you ask me, cooler than the original, does not suit the topic of the blog but why did artillery guys needed aero helmets on a space base might be a good question.
Old 04-19-20, 10:51 AM
Lattz

Phew... that was close... I was afraid that I killed the party with the (lets face it not so good) joke but happy that it didnt happen and you made it better. Lord Helmet is the ultimate TT guy. Now i can post the bike I prepred as "making it up for the post" as is a beautiful bike not healing salve.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-19-20, 11:15 AM
VintageTTfan

Just a cool picture...I suppose the person who owns these also has a palace? That would figure. Or they just know how to stage a neat picture.
Likes For VintageTTfan:
Old 04-19-20, 11:21 AM
Lattz

Ever since I saw one for the first time I got attracted to Alan bikes. Some love them some hate them some afraid of them but this one is even nicer than their road or xc versions... also might be a liiittle bit rarer... like a white crow...

The black addons work well with the silver frame if im not mistaken the brakes are Modolo Kronos Im in love with them (not with their pricetag though)

Last edited by Lattz; 04-19-20 at 12:55 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-19-20, 01:24 PM
VintageTTfan

Ever since I saw one for the first time I got attracted to Alan bikes. Some love them some hate them some afraid of them but this one is even nicer than their road or xc versions... also might be a liiittle bit rarer... like a white crow...

The black addons work well with the silver frame.
This is a really classy looking bicycle. Let me start with the less obvious. The silver paint looks to be of the highest quality and it has a distinct polish and texture to it that adds a dimension to the bike that is very pleasing. After all these posts, here in TT Land, some things start to gel in my mind. One is that paint is soooo important to a classic vintage bicycle (I am talking about original paint). It really makes the difference and it is the skin of the bike. The texture and look of the lugs is beautiful here. This bicycle has a simple elegance. The rainbows under the ALAN name is the perfect flourish and foil for the silver color. The letter font for the ALAN name on the fork crown is nice too.

So here is lesson number two: the little flourishes are most important of ALL. They are the crowns of the bicycle....like the tops of letters in calligraphy. Carvings, engravings, pantographs if done right, they are crowns too. A more obvious aspect, is that things have to match....and they do here with the black saddle and components being a good choice. I love the shape of the black brakes. The silver white bar tape is good and the bullhorns are nice and curvy like I like it. Even the sidewalls on the tires are the perfect color for this bike. The crank set looks so nice on this machine. Thanks for sharing with all the followers of this thread this great post.

Last edited by VintageTTfan; 04-19-20 at 01:28 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.