It's not a hoax

Old 04-13-20, 09:09 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
Do you know me? No? Then why would you presume that I don't know what I am talking about?
The content of your posts gives it away.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 04-14-20, 12:40 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
Sergei to Alexei "Comrade, you know that Bill Gates is the devil thing you started a few years ago? have you checked in on it recently? It is on fire!"

How come the only billionaire who is actually trying to do some good is getting roasted by the tinfoil hat brigade, when real evil buggers like the one remaining Koch brother and the Mercers can bank roll some real evil disinformation? Just proves how stupid the foilers really are. Dude tries to warn the world to be ready for a pandemic because the science says it's gonna happen. Tinfoil hats decide his warning means he must be behind it. No, you mouth breathing morons, it just means that he's smarter than you, and because you suffer from a massive case of Dunning-Kruger you don't realise it.
After some more thought I think we agree.

Malware man is happy to be the puppet, as are all the others.

Especially orange man, he will eat his own excrement and call it delicious, with a smile.

Its a comedy of useful idiots, just remember to stay out of the line of fire when someone decides to have a bad day.
Old 04-14-20, 06:24 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3970 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Thanks for posting that.

That's the thing--it's not like COVID just causes people to drop dead, the complications of infection are so well-known at this point that the testing is probably only confirming what's obvious at the point of death.

I suppose it's theoretically possible someone could coincidentally drop dead of a massive heart attack just as they got an uncomplicated COVID infection, but what's the likelihood that someone would even suspect COVID was involved and actually do the test? OTOH, someone having a heart attack while suffering from COVID-induced ARDS almost certainly was killed by the complications of the infection, which the criteria you just posted would lead to the listing of COVID as UCOD..

BTW, I know I'm talking through my hat, but this "every death is being attributed to COVID" thing is turning into a conspiracy theory, and I think it's obvious even to lay people that it's implausible.
Case in point, I once testified for the plaintiff in the following medical negligence case: Lady with history of hypertension undergoes routine bowel surgery, has some sort of poop leak, gets peritonitis, bacteremia, sepsis, multi-organ failure, the works. During this ordeal, she has a devastating stroke from a large vessel occlusion. Question is did her weeks of bacterial hell contribute substantially to the stroke or was it just bad luck and the natural history of her mild hypertension? The argument I used was that even if she was a setup for clotting off her entire carotid artery (which she wasn’t) the daily risk of that catastrophe was very low. Therefore, simple probability, along with everything we know about coagulopathies and I inflammation, favors sepsis as the cause of the clot. Anyway, the judge (this was NC) bought the fancy yankee doctor’s argument and the lady got her award.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-14-20, 07:28 AM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3825 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Case in point, I once testified for the plaintiff in the following medical negligence case: Lady with history of hypertension undergoes routine bowel surgery, has some sort of poop leak, gets peritonitis, bacteremia, sepsis, multi-organ failure, the works. During this ordeal, she has a devastating stroke from a large vessel occlusion. Question is did her weeks of bacterial hell contribute substantially to the stroke or was it just bad luck and the natural history of her mild hypertension? The argument I used was that even if she was a setup for clotting off her entire carotid artery (which she wasn’t) the daily risk of that catastrophe was very low. Therefore, simple probability, along with everything we know about coagulopathies and I inflammation, favors sepsis as the cause of the clot. Anyway, the judge (this was NC) bought the fancy yankee doctor’s argument and the lady got her award.

The way you tell that story makes me think "yutes" were involved.
Old 04-14-20, 07:47 AM
MoAlpha
• —

The way you tell that story makes me think "yutes" were involved.
It was definitely an interesting experience. Trial was in a county seat somewhere in the Piedmont. The plaintiff's attorney had long hair and, IIRC, a seersucker suit!. Apparently a big man locally and very successful in that line. They had a big team and were all set up in a motel room with a rented copier and a visible supply of bourbon. The defense was outgunned and by this point they knew it. I was careful not to disparage the defendant and it ended up being fairly friendly all around.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-14-20, 04:17 PM
thepartsguy
ole skool cyclist

Bikes: Gitane Sprint, Kinesis Touring bike, and 1994 SpecializedStumpJumper M2 FS with DH fork

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle View Post
Is this a widespread, general representative attitude in the USA, currently (7 April 2020)? If so, get the bulldozers and open pits ready.
As you have seen by now thats whats happened in NYC and maybe in Louisiana and Florida to some extent. We will be facing this stuff until a antibody serum is offered and then a vaccine. The vaccine could take til years end or longer. There will be more mass burials.
Likes For thepartsguy:
Old 04-14-20, 04:39 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube, M Alloy Pro, Sprint 76; Amp Research B4; Colnago Crystal; Klein Pulse; Litespeed Catalyst, Fondriest Squadra Corse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by thepartsguy View Post
As you have seen by now thats whats happened in NYC and maybe in Louisiana and Florida to some extent. We will be facing this stuff until a antibody serum is offered and then a vaccine. The vaccine could take til years end or longer. There will be more mass burials.
Yep, a week on and my original post aged well. Unfortunately.

Any true "peak" is only seen once you're well past it; and removing restrictions too soon can put you right back into the curve. I've a feeling this could endure for quite some time.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 04-14-20, 04:56 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle View Post
Yep, a week on and my original post aged well. Unfortunately.

Any true "peak" is only seen once you're well past it; and removing restrictions too soon can put you right back into the curve. I've a feeling this could endure for quite some time.
The "hoaxers" have now moved on to who's fault it is. The Chinese, Big Pharma, 5G, etc etc Like that makes any difference. Some of the attitudes to who's fault it is mean that people still aren't isolating properly.

I learnt my lesson not to mess with bats years ago (before the internet) I read somewhere bat guano is good for your garden, so I dug a bunch out of a small bat colony under an overhang in the desert. It took me years to get over the weird sinus infection I got from that, 'cause I read the bit about wearing respiratory protection in bat caves afterwards.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 04-14-20, 05:02 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
The "hoaxers" have now moved on to who's fault it is. The Chinese, Big Pharma, 5G, etc etc Like that makes any difference. Some of the attitudes to who's fault it is mean that people still aren't isolating properly.

I learnt my lesson not to mess with bats years ago (before the internet) I read somewhere bat guano is good for your garden, so I dug a bunch out of a small bat colony under an overhang in the desert. It took me years to get over the weird sinus infection I got from that, 'cause I read the bit about wearing respiratory protection in bat caves afterwards.
Breathing any excrement isn't great for your health...
Old 04-15-20, 04:47 AM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam View Post
Breathing any excrement isn't great for your health...

Yes, but for some reason, bats are particularly good at producing viruses that can be spread to humans, so bat guano is especially dangerous.

The main protection we've had from exposure to bats is the obvious fact that our species don't hang out together much. Alas, that's changing.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-15-20, 05:05 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 654 Posts
Bats are viral disease-bags:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/28/s...rus-Wuhan.html

They are extremely important animals in terms of the environment, but best not to eat them, touch them or inhale their droppings.
Likes For wgscott:
Old 04-15-20, 05:46 PM
crank_addict

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
Bats are viral disease-bags:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/28/s...rus-Wuhan.html

They are extremely important animals in terms of the environment, but best not to eat them, touch them or inhale their droppings.
Them pesky bats and rats.

A delightful parody on our transitioning government.

Old 04-15-20, 06:56 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Yes, but for some reason, bats are particularly good at producing viruses that can be spread to humans, so bat guano is especially dangerous.

The main protection we've had from exposure to bats is the obvious fact that our species don't hang out together much. Alas, that's changing.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
However, the sinus infection was more likely fungal, specifically histoplasmosis.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-15-20, 07:16 PM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

However, the sinus infection was more likely fungal, specifically histoplasmosis.

​​​​​​​I've actually got a phobia of bats, bad enough that you won't find me ever going into a cave. I'm thinking that not trying to get desensitized to them is looking like a pretty good decision right now.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-15-20, 07:22 PM
MoAlpha
• —

I've actually got a phobia of bats, bad enough that you won't find me ever going into a cave. I'm thinking that not trying to get desensitized to them is looking like a pretty good decision right now.
Rabies is what really scares me about those little mofos. I do like them in the abstract, however, and I miss them flitting around at dusk and eating mosquitos, pollinating crops, and whatnot. There used to be mobs of them here, but I think they've been wiped out by white nose syndrome.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-16-20, 08:04 AM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Rabies is what really scares me about those little mofos. I do like them in the abstract, however, and I miss them flitting around at dusk and eating mosquitos, pollinating crops, and whatnot. There used to be mobs of them here, but I think they've been wiped out by white nose syndrome.
My phobia is very specifically being in an enclosed space with a flying bat, outside has never been a problem. Like you, I very much miss the swarms of bats that used to fly around doing their bug-eating job.

Where I grew up, I believe I read that the bats were too small to pose a rabies threat as their teeth weren't strong enough to penetrate human flesh. I don't know of anyone who tested that, however.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-16-20, 08:13 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2001 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 463 Posts
My phobia is very specifically being in an enclosed space with a flying bat, outside has never been a problem. Like you, I very much miss the swarms of bats that used to fly around doing their bug-eating job.

Where I grew up, I believe I read that the bats were too small to pose a rabies threat as their teeth weren't strong enough to penetrate human flesh. I don't know of anyone who tested that, however.
A story from my parents from when I was a toddler and too young to remember it:
They had a window fan in bedroom, and one night a bat got sucked into it from outdoors.
The result was diced bat distributed across the room.

Last edited by Shimagnolo; 04-16-20 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-16-20, 09:40 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200

Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 310 Posts

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/bats/education/index.html
Old 04-16-20, 09:53 AM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

I grew up and developed the phobia in Minnesota, where the species of bats commonly found are very small--they're basically flying mice with very small teeth. Obviously, where bats are bigger, the likelihood of a skin-breaking bite is higher.

Either way, I didn't want to play with them.
Old 04-16-20, 10:52 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 70 Posts
A man died in BC last year after an encounter with a bat.

He wasn't aware of being bitten, and it is surmised that he was scratched by the bat.

Henry said the man's symptoms progressed "very quickly." It was only after he mentioned that he had come into contact with a bat that he was tested for rabies.

Henry said skin must be punctured for rabies to be passed from an animal to a human, though it can be difficult to tell with a bat scratch.

"With a bat you may not even recognize that a scratch has happened ... that can happen very quickly so any sort of direct contact with a bat is a risky thing," said Henry.

"Bats generally don't want to be around humans so that's one of the things that is worrisome. If you are in contact with a bat then you really need to be assessed so we can give you the vaccine to make sure we can prevent you from getting this terrible disease."
I found a dead bat in a mouse trap once . I disposed of the whole thing, bat and trap without touching the bat.

When they were teenagers, a friend and his buddy went in to a cave used by bats during the day and captured a sleeping bat, put it in a paper bag, stored it in the fridge, then released it in a movie theatre at night. The theatre had to be evacuated. I am not endorsing this kind of stunt.

I think bats are cool creatures, but the more I learn about them, the more I want to avoid them.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...uver-1.5212965
Old 04-16-20, 11:20 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 12050 Post(s)
Liked 3,408 Times in 1,899 Posts
I grew up and developed the phobia in Minnesota, where the species of bats commonly found are very small--they're basically flying mice with very small teeth. Obviously, where bats are bigger, the likelihood of a skin-breaking bite is higher.

Either way, I didn't want to play with them.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-16-20, 04:43 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 85 Posts
These people are not social distancing.

Protesters in MAGA hats and flying Confederate flags swarm Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio, Utah, Wyoming, New York and Virginia to demonstrate 'tyrannical' and 'unconstitutional' lockdown orders that are 'worse than the virus'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...wn-orders.html
Old 04-16-20, 04:43 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 258 Posts
It's not a hoax and neither is it an accident.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-16-20, 05:20 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 3165 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 110 Posts
An interesting graduation coming up Sat...

Old 04-16-20, 05:44 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 654 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post
These people are not social distancing.

Protesters in MAGA hats and flying Confederate flags swarm Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio, Utah, Wyoming, New York and Virginia to demonstrate 'tyrannical' and 'unconstitutional' lockdown orders that are 'worse than the virus'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...wn-orders.html
Nature has an abundance of self-correcting mechanisms. Unfortunately, in this case, they are probably going to take some other people with them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.