bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post
These people are not social distancing.

Protesters in MAGA hats and flying Confederate flags swarm Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio, Utah, Wyoming, New York and Virginia to demonstrate 'tyrannical' and 'unconstitutional' lockdown orders that are 'worse than the virus'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...wn-orders.html
... and some had long arms slung over their shoulder. What's with that?
Old 04-16-20, 06:15 PM
Shimagnolo

Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 465 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
... and some had long arms slung over their shoulder. What's with that?
Over their shoulders? These morons are holding them ready with their fingers beside the trigger guards.

Displaying a firearm for the purpose of intimidation is called "brandishing" and is illegal:
Michigan Legislature - Section 750.234e
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 04-16-20, 06:20 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,244 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post
The best line in this, by far:

You drive through Casper, it's like a ghost town
Likes For wgscott:
Old 04-16-20, 06:24 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
Over their shoulders? These morons are holding them ready with their fingers beside the trigger guards.

Displaying a firearm for the purpose of intimidation is called "brandishing" and is illegal:
I wonder if people in the US realise that most of the rest of the western world are scratching their heads and going "you let heavily armed anarchists threaten your elected officials?"
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 04-16-20, 06:27 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 12061 Post(s)
Liked 3,428 Times in 1,911 Posts

This virus most fast. You have to be ready.
Old 04-16-20, 06:35 PM
bobwysiwyg

Yes. But hopefully nobody will bother to spend time and tax dollars to try and educate them... hopeless task.
Old 04-16-20, 06:43 PM
crank_addict

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 241 Posts
Some are really challenged following govt. orders on wearing a mask, and as the head cheeses have officially announced- to make your own.

Old 04-16-20, 06:45 PM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by Clyde1820 View Post
A ~3% death rate (if contracted) is nothing to sneeze at. Though it's no smallpox or plague.

Definitely worth being concerned over, given how extremely communicable this one is. Not likely to cause a huge percentage of people to pass, no, but for those who catch it and get hammered by it, it can indeed be deadly.

The real issue is: this one's a first-timer, a "novel" virus. So it's not fully understood, yet, how well people recover, whether there are long-term impacts upon a person's overall health once "recovered," etc. Might well come back with a vengeance, in a given person. Might well permanently damage the lungs. It's all guess-work, this first season through this thing. Hence the caution by governments and communities.

I wish that the governments didn't utterly erase economies, for this, given the awful impacts of that alone. But with limited tests/testing, limited ability to fight it (with anti-viral drugs), limited resources for precautions (masks, PPE, disinfectant), limited procedures to do all business at arms-length (or remotely, ie schooling) ... there aren't a lot of choices.

Can't imagine this person's position is all that commonplace, given the percentage of people in most countries complying with guidelines. Outliers are in every community, with all sorts of opinions: this or that drug cures it, this or that precaution is/isn't necessary, it's a weaponized deliberate thing, it's a hoax, yadda yadda yadda.

Irrespective of the range of outlier opinions in some, out there, I suspect that the practical realities of full global economic shutdown are going to hit hard, soon. Without means of travel, without supplies, without economics supporting productivity, there will be shortages in foodstuffs and other resources. If a community of 200 people gets a bit short on supplies, that's one thing. If a megacity of 20M+ has a tough time acquiring food, that's an entirely different thing.
I've been tacking the mortality rate here in the U.S. vs globally. Initially we were around 2% vs 6%. I thought, perhaps It's our healthcare system? It's been gradually increasing here. As of 4/16 it's 4.8%, creeping up. If we had no form of mitigation and 50% of U.S. citizens contracted this virus... I'll let you do the math. Hint, it's damn ugly!
Old 04-16-20, 07:23 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3977 Post(s)
Liked 1,375 Times in 772 Posts
I've been tacking the mortality rate here in the U.S. vs globally. Initially we were around 2% vs 6%. I thought, perhaps It's our healthcare system? It's been gradually increasing here. As of 4/16 it's 4.8%, creeping up. If we had no form of mitigation and 50% of U.S. citizens contracted this virus... I'll let you do the math. Hint, it's damn ugly!
We are so far behind in testing that the denominator is certainly a gross underestimate. That said, our healthcare disparities, population age, and rates of chronic disease are likely also contributing.
Old 04-16-20, 08:17 PM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 43 Posts
The 4.8 mortality rate is based on what number? The number of tested positive, the number of positive based on symptoms? We don't actually know the number of OP that have actually had CV19. So with that said, how could we come up with any mortality rate based on numbers we don't know and may never know..
​​​​​​..
Likes For 308jerry:
Old 04-16-20, 08:39 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by 308jerry View Post
The 4.8 mortality rate is based on what number? The number of tested positive, the number of positive based on symptoms? We don't actually know the number of OP that have actually had CV19. So with that said, how could we come up with any mortality rate based on numbers we don't know and may never know..
​​​​​​..
Defeatist thinking. You've already given up.
  1. It's a start
  2. It's probably high because not everyone feels sick enough to test, leading to...
  3. People that are sick enough to test are dying in a higher percentage of cases than we'd like
so, grain of salt and all that...
Old 04-16-20, 11:03 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 18066 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,240 Posts
On case fatality rate.

...current best guess from the professionals is this one. It changes every couple of days, and varies from country to country, depending on what's going on there. I just had to post it in teh P+R for someone else.

Estimating COVID-19 Case Fatality Rates (CFR) Update 9th April:

Our current best assumption, as of the 9th April, is the CFR is 0.72% – the lowest end of the current prediction interval and in line with several other estimates.

CFRs across countries are, therefore, highly variable, depending on who is tested for what reasons. There is no consistency. See CFR figures by countries over time:
That's almost 3/4 ths of a percent, which is pretty high when you compare it to something like a standard influenza season, which is down in the hundreths of a percent.
Old 04-16-20, 11:51 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
...current best guess from the professionals is this one. It changes every couple of days, and varies from country to country, depending on what's going on there. I just had to post it in teh P+R for someone else.

Estimating COVID-19 Case Fatality Rates (CFR) Update 9th April:

That's almost 3/4 ths of a percent, which is pretty high when you compare it to something like a standard influenza season, which is down in the hundreths of a percent.

People have a hard time converting percentages to reality, pah the death rate is only 0.75%. I don't reckon many people would get on a 747 if they thought 3 people would die every trip... then again, it'll never be me will it...

Old 04-17-20, 04:09 AM
Lazyass

Bikes: Vintage steel, aluminum, modern carbon disc, single speed, MTB's, the works

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2003 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 44 Posts
The lady in question who died made her post on March 14. And with the article starting out with "MAGA": Karen Kolb Sehlke, a Trump loving woman from Texas (only a piece of shi* would talk about a dead woman that way), the bias is obvious.

Trump stopped travel from China on Jan 31. What happened between Jan 31 and March 14? Lets see...................................

Biden instantly called trump xenophobic for stopping travel from China

An article in The New York Times quotes epidemiologist Dr. Michael Osterholm as saying that Trump's decision to restrict travel from China was "more of an emotional or political reaction."

The Washington Post runs a
story quoting a Chinese official asking for "empathy" and slamming the White House for acting "in disregard of WHO recommendation against travel restrictions."

Vox
: "Is this going to be a deadly pandemic? No." The tweet was deleted weeks later.

"There's a virus that has infected 15 million Americans across the country and killed more than 8,200 people this season alone," CNN
. "It's not a new pandemic — it's influenza."

New York City Health Commissioner Oxiris Barbot
: “As we gear up to celebrate the #LunarNewYear in NYC, I want to assure New Yorkers that there is no reason for anyone to change their holiday plans, avoid the subway, or certain parts of the city because of #coronavirus."

Barbot strikes again, assuring residents, "We’re telling New Yorkers, go about your lives, take the subway, go out, enjoy life." City lawmakers have
called for Barbot to be fired because of the comments.

Mark Levine, the chair of New York City Council health committee and a Democrat, tweets: "In powerful show of defiance of
#coronavirus scare, huge crowds gathering in NYC's Chinatown for ceremony ahead of annual #LunarNewYear parade. Chants of 'be strong Wuhan!' If you are staying away, you are missing out!"Klain, the Biden adviser, remarks that the evidence "suggests" the coronavirus won't be a "serious pandemic."

There are ZERO confirmed cases of coronavirus in New York City, and hundreds of Chinese restaurants that need your business!" the New York City mayor's office
. "There is nothing to fear. Stop by any Chinatown for lunch or dinner!"

Fauci
announces that the risk of coronavirus infection in the U.S. is "miniscule," according to USA Today. Fauci, one of the top experts in the field and a senior White House coronavirus adviser, also told the paper that people shouldn't wear masks unless they are contagious. (By April 3, Fauci appeared to endorse national stay-at-home orders.)

“It’s exciting to be here, especially at this time, to be able to be unified with our community,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., tells reporters as she visits
San Francisco's Chinatown. “We want to be vigilant about what is out there in other places. We want to be careful about how we deal with it, but we do want to say to people ‘Come to Chinatown, here we are — we're, again, careful, safe — and come join us.'”

At a campaign rally, Trump calls Democrats' criticisms of his coronavirus response
"their new hoax." Biden and other Democrats then falsely accused Trump of calling the virus itself a hoax. Several fact-checkers, including The Washington Post, make clear that Trump was referring to the Democrats' response to the virus.

"Since I’m encouraging New Yorkers to go on with your lives + get out on the town despite Coronavirus, I thought I would offer some suggestions," New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio
. "Here’s the first: thru Thurs 3/5 go see 'The Traitor' @FilmLinc. If 'The Wire' was a true story + set in Italy, it would be this film."

Barbot, the top New York City health official, declares, “There’s no indication that being in a car, being in the subways with someone who’s potentially sick is a risk factor."

On CNN, Anderson Cooper and Dr. Sanjay Gupta downplay the virus.

“The flu right now is far deadlier," Cooper says. "So if you’re freaked out at all about the coronavirus you should be more concerned about the flu, and you can actually do something about it, and get a flu shot."

"15,000 people roughly have already died of the flu this season," Gupta responded. "Couple years ago, 60,000 people died of the flu."

At a Fox News town hall, Bernie Sanders says he would not close the border, even if it were necessary to halt the spread of coronavirus. He then attacked Trump's "xenophobia."

Also on this day, Fauci remarks that going to campaign rallies may not be a bad idea: "You know, I can’t comment on campaign rallies. It really depends. We are having as we all said — this is something in motion. This is an evolving thing. So I’m not sure what we’re going to be able to say at the time we’re going to have a campaign rally. If you’re talking about a campaign rally tomorrow, in a place where there is no community spread, I think the judgment to have it might be a good judgment. [But] if you want to talk about large gatherings in a place you have community spread, I think that’s a judgment call, and if someone decides they want to cancel it, I wouldn’t publicly criticize them."

Old 04-17-20, 05:06 AM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3838 Post(s)
Liked 2,603 Times in 1,496 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass View Post
The lady in question who died made her post on March 14. And with the article starting out with "MAGA": Karen Kolb Sehlke, a Trump loving woman from Texas (only a piece of shi* would talk about a dead woman that way), the bias is obvious.

Trump stopped travel from China on Jan 31. What happened between Jan 31 and March 14? Lets see...................................

An article in The New York Times quotes epidemiologist Dr. Michael Osterholm as saying that Trump's decision to restrict travel from China was "more of an emotional or political reaction."

story quoting a Chinese official asking for "empathy" and slamming the White House for acting "in disregard of WHO recommendation against travel restrictions."

Vox
tweets: "Is this going to be a deadly pandemic? No." The tweet was deleted weeks later.

"There's a virus that has infected 15 million Americans across the country and killed more than 8,200 people this season alone," CNN
tweets. "It's not a new pandemic — it's influenza."

tweets: “As we gear up to celebrate the #LunarNewYear in NYC, I want to assure New Yorkers that there is no reason for anyone to change their holiday plans, avoid the subway, or certain parts of the city because of #coronavirus."

Barbot strikes again, assuring residents, "We’re telling New Yorkers, go about your lives, take the subway, go out, enjoy life." City lawmakers have

Mark Levine, the chair of New York City Council health committee and a Democrat, tweets: "In powerful show of defiance of
#coronavirus scare, huge crowds gathering in NYC's Chinatown for ceremony ahead of annual #LunarNewYear parade. Chants of 'be strong Wuhan!' If you are staying away, you are missing out!"Klain, the Biden adviser, remarks that the evidence "suggests" the coronavirus won't be a "serious pandemic."

There are ZERO confirmed cases of coronavirus in New York City, and hundreds of Chinese restaurants that need your business!" the New York City mayor's office tweets. "There is nothing to fear. Stop by any Chinatown for lunch or dinner!"

Fauci
announces that the risk of coronavirus infection in the U.S. is "miniscule," according to USA Today. Fauci, one of the top experts in the field and a senior White House coronavirus adviser, also told the paper that people shouldn't wear masks unless they are contagious. (By April 3, Fauci appeared to endorse national stay-at-home orders.)

“It’s exciting to be here, especially at this time, to be able to be unified with our community,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., tells reporters as she visits
San Francisco's Chinatown. “We want to be vigilant about what is out there in other places. We want to be careful about how we deal with it, but we do want to say to people ‘Come to Chinatown, here we are — we're, again, careful, safe — and come join us.'”

At a campaign rally, Trump calls Democrats' criticisms of his coronavirus response
"their new hoax." Biden and other Democrats then falsely accused Trump of calling the virus itself a hoax. Several fact-checkers, including The Washington Post, make clear that Trump was referring to the Democrats' response to the virus.

"Since I’m encouraging New Yorkers to go on with your lives + get out on the town despite Coronavirus, I thought I would offer some suggestions," New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio
tweets. "Here’s the first: thru Thurs 3/5 go see 'The Traitor' @FilmLinc. If 'The Wire' was a true story + set in Italy, it would be this film."

Barbot, the top New York City health official, declares, “There’s no indication that being in a car, being in the subways with someone who’s potentially sick is a risk factor."

“The flu right now is far deadlier," Cooper says. "So if you’re freaked out at all about the coronavirus you should be more concerned about the flu, and you can actually do something about it, and get a flu shot."

"15,000 people roughly have already died of the flu this season," Gupta responded. "Couple years ago, 60,000 people died of the flu."

At a Fox News town hall, Bernie Sanders says he would not close the border, even if it were necessary to halt the spread of coronavirus. He then attacked Trump's "xenophobia."

Also on this day, Fauci remarks that going to campaign rallies may not be a bad idea: "You know, I can’t comment on campaign rallies. It really depends. We are having as we all said — this is something in motion. This is an evolving thing. So I’m not sure what we’re going to be able to say at the time we’re going to have a campaign rally. If you’re talking about a campaign rally tomorrow, in a place where there is no community spread, I think the judgment to have it might be a good judgment. [But] if you want to talk about large gatherings in a place you have community spread, I think that’s a judgment call, and if someone decides they want to cancel it, I wouldn’t publicly criticize them."

Fauci was being diplomatic so the insane president wouldn't fire him. Note the word "publicly".

Seriously, if you're going to parrot the Trump "everybody else got it wrong", feel free to explain why his China travel ban had a hole in it that allowed tens of thousands of people to travel from China and why Trump won't even dare try to explain what he did during the entire month of February.

We have a president whose number one priority is messaging and his own reelection.

Thanks for pretty much guaranteeing this is going to the P&S memory hole.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-17-20, 05:20 AM
Trevtassie

Originally Posted by Lazyass View Post

Vox
tweets: "Is this going to be a deadly pandemic? No." The tweet was deleted weeks later.

tweets. "It's not a new pandemic — it's influenza."

tweets: “As we gear up to celebrate the #LunarNewYear in NYC, I want to assure New Yorkers that there is no reason for anyone to change their holiday plans, avoid the subway, or certain parts of the city because of #coronavirus."

There are ZERO confirmed cases of coronavirus in New York City, and hundreds of Chinese restaurants that need your business!" the New York City mayor's office tweets. "There is nothing to fear. Stop by any Chinatown for lunch or dinner!"

Fauci

tweets. "Here’s the first: thru Thurs 3/5 go see 'The Traitor' @FilmLinc. If 'The Wire' was a true story + set in Italy, it would be this film."

Australia instituted a China ban on the same day the USA did. They then followed it up with effective measures to control the virus. Australia's death rate is 2.5 people per million. The USA is 86 per million., just saying.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 04-17-20, 05:24 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
I wonder if people in the US realise that most of the rest of the western world are scratching their heads and going "you let heavily armed anarchists threaten your elected officials?"
it’s called the 2nd amendment. Elected officials work for the people. We don’t work for them.
Old 04-17-20, 05:26 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Testing is for those who are SICK

NOT to create fear amongst population
Old 04-17-20, 05:28 AM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam View Post
Defeatist thinking. You've already given up.
  1. It's a start
  2. It's probably high because not everyone feels sick enough to test, leading to...
  3. People that are sick enough to test are dying in a higher percentage of cases than we'd like
so, grain of salt and all that...
Defeatist thinking? How so? I ask how you came up with your numbers. If we don't know how many people have been infected, what number are you using to come up with 4.5.. I have not claimed nobody is dying, but just want to make sure we know how you come up with any percentage if we don't know all the numbers...... True numbers are like facts, skewed numbers not so much......
Old 04-17-20, 05:53 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post

Wrong.

Testing is to get a true estimate of disease prevalence in the population so we can understand and predict the pandemic and get back to normal as soon as possible. In those cases, where dense testing has been possible, e.g., healthy women delivering babies in NYC, the USNS Theodore Roosevelt, Iceland, the prevalence of infection in the healthy population has been huge, i.e., on the order of 12-50%. Want to go back to a crowded office, a hopping restaurant, or sleeping quarters with those folks? Want them taking care of your mom in a nursing home?

And why would those data create fear? They remove uncertainty and lower our estimate of the severity of the disease.
Old 04-17-20, 05:54 AM
Trevtassie

If they are already sick, testing is a bit late eh? Testing SHOULD be to figure out who has the virus and stop them from spreading it. Especially the cases without symptoms.... it's how places like Korea and Australia got their epidemic under control.
It's the fear of the unknown that causes fear, without testing nobody has a clue what's going on. You get idiots calling for economies to open when they really don't have any idea how many people are affected. Like the USA at the moment, the rise in cases has flatlined because testing has flatlined, they've reached the maximum number of tests they can do per day.
Old 04-17-20, 05:56 AM
Trevtassie

it’s called the 2nd amendment. Elected officials work for the people. We don’t work for them.
Ah, so where you are from if you want you can use guns instead of voting? That should work out well in the long term.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 04-17-20, 06:01 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Fauci was being diplomatic so the insane president wouldn't fire him. Note the word "publicly".

Seriously, if you're going to parrot the Trump "everybody else got it wrong", feel free to explain why his China travel ban had a hole in it that allowed tens of thousands of people to travel from China and why Trump won't even dare try to explain what he did during the entire month of February.

We have a president whose number one priority is messaging and his own reelection.

Thanks for pretty much guaranteeing this is going to the P&S memory hole.
Fortunately, Fauci is a permanent Title 42(f) NIH employee and not a political appointee, so he can’t be “fired” summarily for offering his opinions on scientific or clinical matters. He can be removed from the WH coronavirus task force, but I suspect he needs that unpaid job like a hole in the head.
Old 04-17-20, 06:09 AM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by 308jerry View Post
​​​​​​..
Based on widely, currently available stats. Will they be refined over time, sure. My calculation seems quite similar to Johns Hopkins, actually theirs is slightly higher in terms of mortality rate.
Old 04-17-20, 06:19 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Do you just text every day for flu or viruses even though you are not sick? NO.

NO reason to do that for this either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.