Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Building a 1980 Peugeot

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Building a 1980 Peugeot

Old 04-18-20, 05:34 AM
alexnagui

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
Seatposts are really hard to measure without a seat tube gauge of some sort. Pretty much all the French Reynolds 531 bikes that I've seen are 26.4
I think it depends on the model and year. The PR-10 from '72 that I recently overhauled takes a 26.6 seatpost, another PR-10 but from '76 came with a 26.4 seatpost.
Take a look at this database from Sheldon and this thread, they might be helpful.
Old 04-28-20, 04:55 PM
disco_kevin30

Bikes: Bianchi Europa, 1971 Dawes Galaxy, Peugeot Competition, Peugeot Super Competition, Panasonic DX-4000, Trek 610, Raleigh Technium Tri-Lite, Centurion Le Mans RS, Takara Grand Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alexnagui View Post
I think it depends on the model and year. The PR-10 from '72 that I recently overhauled takes a 26.6 seatpost, another PR-10 but from '76 came with a 26.4 seatpost.
Take a look at this database from Sheldon and this thread, they might be helpful.
I ended up ordering a seat tube measurement gauge. I am having to go through online vendors instead of my LBS for now and I want to accurate.

So I got the cranks on but that bolt seemed awfully close to the chain stay. I ordered a spacer but then of course came the task of removing a stripped crank.

Ordered this from eBay. I had examined the threads and they didn't look fully compromised so I gave it shot. It took some tries to get the threads to take but once they did it took the cranks off with ease. So that was good news.

Otherwise, waiting to get some more parts. I received some pedals and they are perfect. I purchased some down tube shifters as well and I may have some brakes I can use on hand, at least temporarily. The racers I have are too long of reach so I am going to with a slightly rusty dual pivots I pulled from a bike. I have some aero diacompe levers I can use with them. Only problem is the brakes are recessed so I am going to drill the fork out tonight.

The revelation about the crank really turned attitude about this around. I am excited to get it finished.

Last edited by disco_kevin30; 04-28-20 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-29-20, 10:17 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by disco_kevin30 View Post
I ended up ordering a seat tube measurement gauge. I am having to go through online vendors instead of my LBS for now and I want to accurate.

So I got the cranks on but that bolt seemed awfully close to the chain stay. I ordered a spacer but then of course came the task of removing a stripped crank.

Ordered this from eBay. I had examined the threads and they didn't look fully compromised so I gave it shot. It took some tries to get the threads to take but once they did it took the cranks off with ease. So that was good news.

Otherwise, waiting to get some more parts. I received some pedals and they are perfect. I purchased some down tube shifters as well and I may have some brakes I can use on hand, at least temporarily. The racers I have are too long of reach so I am going to with a slightly rusty dual pivots I pulled from a bike. I have some aero diacompe levers I can use with them. Only problem is the brakes are recessed so I am going to drill the fork out tonight.

The revelation about the crank really turned attitude about this around. I am excited to get it finished.
Stronglight remover, you will here from me sooon! I have some Superbe brakes that may be of interest for you as well.