Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New bike: rear gears wobbling

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

New bike: rear gears wobbling

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-20, 01:01 PM
boriska00

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New bike: rear gears wobbling - UPDATED VIDEO

Hello everyone,

Excited to finally join a bike forum finally. Been following for quite some time, but never posted anything. Thanks everyone for your expertise ahead of time!

So everything pretty much sold out in local store, I needed a new bike for my kid. Got this Huffy Escalate 26" online shipped directly to my house.
It was mostly assembled, only a few adjustments needed. To my surprise, I found that the rear gears are really wobbly.
I haven't had that many bikes in my life but I checked my 10+ year old Diamond hybrid bike and nothing wobbles there.
Reading around, it sounds like some play is normal, but I am not sure about this.

Here is a link to the video: ( https semicolon //photos dot app dot goo dot gl/CZpvQdM2WPoWjKha6 )
I noticed this video doesn't really tell justice relative to the naked eye because of the standard frame rate, maybe I'll take one in FHD if you think it will help.

Also the front wheel seems bent. The wheel seems to be set straight in the fork, but no matter the adjustments, it also always wobbles. Here is a video, can see by listening to the brake pad uneven rub:
( https semicolon //photos dot app dot goo dot gl/i9SvCKevDLgXG8pE6 )

Is any of this normal for just out of the box? I know this is a "cheap" (~300USD) bike, but still.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

Last edited by boriska00; 04-28-20 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-27-20, 01:04 PM
boriska00

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, it looks like I can't post URLs until I have 10 posts and I can't attach a video
I guess I need to quickly get to 10 posts.
Old 04-27-20, 01:41 PM
Dwillems26

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
You can tweak the wheel by adjusting spoke tension. Most likely there's some loose spokes. YouTube is your friend here.

Gear wobble is normal with freewheels, but I'm curious to see how much of a wobble you have. I don't have much experience with that issue though, I'm sorry.
Old 04-27-20, 01:49 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Originally Posted by boriska00
Well, it looks like I can't post URLs until I have 10 posts and I can't attach a video
I guess I need to quickly get to 10 posts.
Or just get devious and change the "." to "dot" and maybe add some spaces to the URL where it can be found. We'll figure out how to make the URL whole again.

Don't try to add it with the link tool, just put it in the plain text of your message. You can upload it to any pic hosting site.
Old 04-27-20, 02:54 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
If your bike is a cassette bike they often have little to seemingly no wobble to them, freewheels which the new bike almost certainly has, often have some wobble and the cheaper the freewheel often the more wobble they have. Even shimano's freewheels have some to them. If it isn't excessive enough to mess up the shifting then its fine.
Old 04-27-20, 03:30 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Is this the bike? https://www.huffybikes.com/escalate-...m-frame-76948/

If you bought it direct from Huffy's website, then try to get hold of them through their contact numbers or email. Don't jeopardize being able to return it or get warranty because you muck something up.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-27-20, 04:23 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts

Likes For dedhed:
Old 04-27-20, 04:25 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Even without looking, I'd bet is was a freewheel. But if that is the bike, look at the picture of the closeup of the rear drivetrain. If that is an accurate picture that is a 7 speed freewheel. If it is an excessive amount, as already stated, I'd contact them. If it shifts fine, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a freewheel bike with some good parts, (Dura Ace/Sachs Aris), and I get a little wobble, but I got more when I had a cheaper Sunrace freewheel on it.

John

Edit Added: Nice videos.

Last edited by 70sSanO; 04-27-20 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-28-20, 01:26 PM
boriska00

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone,

Only 5 posts/24hrs for newbies, but here I am again.
Thank you everyone for the comments and awesome videos!

I updated my original post with video links, you'l have to change "dots" and "semicolons", but you all know what to do.
The wheel seems like it may be indeed the spoke tension issue and the wobble seems "normal" for this grade of a bike?

With a tuneup this will total close to $340, so maybe just add another few bucks and get Trek 820 for $400 from a local shop that will include the tuneup and a year worth of adjustments.
Old 04-28-20, 01:41 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...dXUVQzMTJReklB

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JKazBUaGI0cUZ3

The rear might be normal. A lot if not all do that to some extent.

The front is hard to tell, I don't use those type brakes but if the rim is only hitting on one side then if there is any adjustment to move where the brake arms center then that may be all that's needed. Or open the brakes some if there is adequate feel in the levers and stopping power. It looks like if anything the wheel just is a little out of true. 20 bucks at a bike shop should get it perfect.
Old 04-28-20, 11:55 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
The freewheel wobble is about what can be expected, and is unlikely to affect anything on a 7-speed rear.
The front wheel seems to be about 2-3 mm out of true - assuming the axle bearings are OK.
It CAN be ignored, IF the brake can be set where it doesn’t drag, keep the lever within good reach AND give enough braking power before the lever bottoms out against the bar.
For a lightly used bike, some brake rub isn’t a huge deal in practical terms. With only the return spring pushing the pad against the rim, the pad wear from brake rub is very slow.
But it would annoy the heck out of me.
Old 04-29-20, 10:49 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

If you are a bit adventurous, you can true that wheel yourself and get it a bit closer. There are tons of videos and you can take it slow with small adjustments. Get a decent multi size spoke wrench.

Brake rub is great when it is on the other guy’s bike. My son broke a spoke on his mountain bike one day and didn’t realize it and he always smokes me on climbs. I was feeling really good leaving him behind that day; until I checked his bike... lol!

John
Old 04-30-20, 07:32 AM
bldegle2
Dangerous Old Man

Bikes: 2 custom built full Carbon road bikes, built by Moi...

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
That front wheel just needs some truing. Give me 5 minutes and it would be near perfect. Many U tube vids to help. Just remember, you loosen one side and tightened the other, helps to keep the wheel round (bounce) when truing side to side. Your rim bounce looks to be very slight, so I wouldn't worry about that now.

The rear mech, sorry, if mine had that kind of wobble it would be jumping gears under power for sure, especially climbing...did you check and make sure the threaded cap on the cassette is snug?

Also, since this is a new purchase, I would be contacting the bike shop with concerns, especially the rear wobble. They should perform the first wheel truing on the house, shops do this because they want you to have a great experience from the get go. CALL THEM...
Old 04-30-20, 08:09 AM
boriska00

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bldegle2
Also, since this is a new purchase, I would be contacting the bike shop with concerns, especially the rear wobble. They should perform the first wheel truing on the house, shops do this because they want you to have a great experience from the get go. CALL THEM...
That was purchased online (Amazon) and came directly from Huffy. That's why I'm thinking to just send it back and see if I can get something from a local show which WILL do all the adjustments and tuneups as part of the purchase.
Old 04-30-20, 10:56 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
The freewheel wobble is normal on very cheap bikes. The cause is not in the freewheel itself but caused by the fact that the hub is made in three separate pieces pressed together, and the threaded end where the freewheel threads on is not perfectly parallel to the axle. It shouldn't make too much of a difference.

The front rim looks like minor truing using spoke tension will fix the issue.
Generally speaking, you need to find the spot or area on the rim that is not lined up with the rest (where it's closest to the brake pad) and tighten the spoke nipples a tiny amount (like a quarter turn) on the side that will pull the rim away from the brake, and loosen the spokes on the other side a tiny amount. This is very common on new bikes because the wheels are built by machine. You need a spoke wrench or key to do this repair properly.
Old 04-30-20, 01:29 PM
70sSanO

If you are able to send it back with a full refund, including shipping, and are willing to pay a bit more for a better bike at a good local shop, then do it. You’ll be ahead in the long run and will help a business that will support you over the years.

If you are maxed out on what you can spend, then just keep it. Shops can’t match the price of online low budget/box stores prices... but they will exceed the quality.

John
Old 04-30-20, 01:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Local bike shops will be happy to service your online bought bike. However some might be little squeamish if there is something that obviously should be handled through warranty.
Old 05-01-20, 12:43 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Sounds like you discovered the false economy of inexpensive unassembled online bikes. These bikes need significant skilled assembly to work well, and frankly take more skill to get to run well than higher end bike with better parts. Something like a Trek 800 has only marginally better parts on it, but comes in an actual size range and professional assembly. Really the value of LBS bikes is often higher at the relatively low end. At the mid and high end the cost of getting a shop to do assembly may still be easily absorbed in the lower price of some consumer direct bikes.